Treatment info for Blepharitis

Posted , 121 users are following.

Has anyone found treatment info specifically for Blepharitis? I'm told the same old things like "scrub with baby shampoo" and I'm not getting any better.

I'm frustrated and hope that some doctor somewhere has studied this terrible condition - and just want to find the answers!

Thank you,

Oliver, London

4 likes, 359 replies

359 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yeah I can relate i was diagnosed with blepharitis over a year ago and have had an awful flare up for going on 9 months now! been on steroid drops antibiotics and anti allergy eye drops with no success yet and the hot compressions don't seem to work. ive brought steam googles they just seem to get rid of some of the oil i know that argan oil has helped a lot of people and castor oil although i wouldn't recommend castor oil very risky going to see my new eye doctor on friday so hopefully a miracle will happen. thanks for the advice i will try wet ones and see what result i get, please let me know if any of you get good results from relief of Blepharitis

Alex

• Posted

Alex,

I have read that Flax Seed Oil is good and /or vitamins I haven't tried yet.

• Posted

I used flax seed oil and Omega 2 Oil and much improved for awhile then lost its efffectiven ess. Using Wet ones now 4 days, feels a bit better still have pasty like discharge
    • Posted

Henry,

I have been using them for about 3 days. Mine feel somewhat better, but guess it takes time and depending on severity of individuals as to how well it works. Let's hope for the best smile

• Posted

Hi Alex,

Remember the infection is in the roots of the eyelashes. Putting drops in the eyes does hardly anything.

I told the Dr. that they should be applied to the eyelashes. Who can afford to use drops for 3 months straight. I paid for my last bottle of eye drops and it was $137.00 and with Insurance it was a $35.00 co-pay.

The bottle was so small. You would have to have at least 2 a week or more. Imagine doing that for say 3 months. It may work though, if put on the eyelashes.

The WET ONES are the ones in the red box. Be sure what you use has Benzethonium Chlkoride in it. It gives relief really fast but does take 3-4 months. You could shave off one month by doing it 3 times a day instead of dropping to 2 times a day. I did it because I felt so much better and they were not bothering me. In hindsight, I could have saved a month. You can't imagine the relief you get from doing this. It has been about 7 months now and no Blepharitis for me or my friend. Hope you get the same relief soon.

Lynda

• Posted

I have asked numerous people & hope you can help. Did you also do warm compresses or just the Wet Ones? Did you do anything to rinse your eyes afterwards?

• Posted

I use the wet ones as well, every morning I get up and wash my face with a hot face cloth, as hot as I can take it.  I do the hot compress on my eyes and then use the wet ones like I'm removing my eye makeup.

• Posted

Dear Elle,

I used the wipes only and did not rinse off. It takes 10 minutes for the Benzethonium Chloride to work. You can rinse after that if you would like to. 

I think using the shampoo with the wipes can be drying. I did not use heat with the wipes. That may irritate too. I did the wipes for only a little over a week 4 times. Many have done it twice a day with results too.

One person told me she grew back her lashes and she had the Bleph for over 20 years and had lost her lashes.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

• Posted

I used warm compresses in the beginning, but found that after awhile, it was better for me to use the Wet Ones only and not rinse.  I am so much better now that I only use at night, after washing my face and before bedtime.  Good luck...
  • Posted

hi Lynda,

May I know where can I get benzethonium chloride? I am currently living in singapore and have not heard of this product. how helpful is this product? are you still maintaining a lid routine like warm compress, lid scrub etc?

ive been diagnosed with blepharitis since 3 years ago and have been applying warm compress, use lid care wipes daily but it isnt helping at all..

can you suggest me a way to keep blepharitis under control?

Thanks alot!!

• Posted

Joanne I am new ti this site and I too have had Blepharitis or 32 years. Nothing helped even LipiFlo. Been using Wey Ones for 4days and I can feel improvement. Takes 4 months per Lynda who advised of Wey Ones -God Bless Her. You  posted 10 months ago   how are you now?
    • Posted

Order Wet Ones from Amazon (the ones in the red box) You will be amazed!

• Posted

Dear Joanne,

I no longer have Blepharitis. There is a cure.

Benzethonium Chloride is the medicine in the products that get rid of Blepharitis. It is found in the antibacterial hand wipes known as WET ONES. It comes in a red box. WALMART or drug stores or grocery stores here carry it. I checked on the internet to find what products Benzethonium Chloride was in.

You may have to order from a drug store or Walmart on line if you can't get it there.

Let me explain how I got rid of it. I tore each hand wipe into 8 pieces and rubbed each eyelash are twice-4 times a day to start. After a week or two I went down to 3 times a day. After a month I went down to 2 times a day for several months. This is an infection in the roots of the eyelashes. Putting medicine in the eye doesn't do much. I tried 3 times with antibiotics. Did nothing.

When a friend said she got rid of it I jumped on it right away. She had it going up her eyelids.

Two people have gotten rid of this horrible itching. It is not a hit and miss thing. I kept at it for 3-4 months and it is gone.

The 3 Dr.'s who looked into my eyes tried to find it and couldn't. One was the Dr. who gave me the prescriptions for antibiotics and diagnosed the Blepharitis.

This is not just a temporary relief thing I am writing blogging about. I learned how to blog to try to help others learn about the way to get rid of this infection in the eye lashes. The Dr.'s didn't seem to be interested in a cure.

I did blog on one Dr.'s comment and he was interested and wanted to know if I washed my eyes off after using the wipes. I told him no I did not.

There is no need to suffer with this when there is a cure. Please be diligent and work at it for the 3-4 months. You do start to feel better. When I was done it itched once or twice and I used the wipes and it was gone.

Relief is not far way,

Lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda

An Update from me.

I've just seen a post from me and it says on it 9 months ago???????

Anyway I was suffering badly from Blepharatis "And a lot more going on there"??????What does that mean ?????

Been back and forward to thre hospital every 3 months. They gave me steroids all kinds of ointments etc.  Nothing worked.

I did try the wet ones for a short time but they didn't seem to work so I gave up. I tried a second time and perservered and now my eyes are clear. Fantastic.

I use them once or twice a day, along with over the counter eyedrops, and a very basic eye cream {over the counter} I still cant wear eye shadow ......I know they are the blue ones but because they are only on my lashes...not in my eyes they dont seem to have done any harm.

So Thank you Lynda

Eileen

• Posted

Dear Eileen,

So glad you got relief. The UK ones are what Honjon used and they worked just like the ones in US. Both are Quats and kill staphylococcus.

I think that is the one thing that my friend and I realized that the meds go on the problem and not in the eye.

I thought you might have been one that was allergic to the wipes. So glad to hear otherwise.

Nice to hear you feel better. We need good news sometimes.

Your friend,

Lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda

Sorry if I have already said this. I thought I had but cant see the post.

I had my yearly test at the opticians {I normally wear reading glasses} At the end of the test he said you need stronger reading glasses and you need distance glasseseek

So...I got them. They were OK for about a week then my eyes started to get blurredquestion I went back to them and they fobbed me off, went back a second time, a third time i demanded a re-test. {Just saw people behind the desk the first couple of times} The first thing the opthomologist said when I walked in....was "Your eyes are so much better...not inflammed anymore etc" Did the re test. The conclusion was that I needed the strong reading glasses made weaker and didnt need distance ones at alleek  So ....do I assume that that is to do with the blepharatis or whatever it was/is??

Anyway I have got a hospital appoitment  next week {eye hospital}...its going to be interesting to see what he says.....the last time he said I needed an operation.....a couple of stitches in the corners of each eye to "Lift them"??????????

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Dear Eileen,

I spend 2 years getting my glasses right. They have a new item at the glasses place in the mall. Looks like a pair of heavy glasses and it is tied to a computer so it tells them right where your eyes are located. No little dots to mess with.

There was a TV program and it said that 50% of glasses made are not right. It is a lab problem it said.

Honjon (on this site) said he had bad eye problems (one being oily) and he couldn't watch TV for even an hour. He has no problem now he said.

I was told by the Dr. who diagnosed me with Blepharits and could not find it that it would come back. Be prepared for that.

So very good to hear how well you are doing. Let me know how that visit goes.

Your friend,

Lyndaa

• Posted

Hi Lynda 

Pls help , I live in the UK what is the name if these wipes ? And where do I purchase them from ? 

As I was typing my story to yourself , somehow it got deleted and I lost my whole paragraph to you . So I'm cutting it short . 

I woke up one moring and saw a huge gap in my left eyelid and it's very itchy but I don't scratch it . 

Please help ..... sad(((((((

• Posted

Hi

No doubt Linda will be along soon to tell you but with the time difference I thought I would get you started LOL

I'm in the UK......Its Wet Ones....{hand wiopes} but to get the ingredient at Linda mentions it has to be the blue ones, [ORIGINAL] and you get them [or I did] I Boots

If you dont see them just ask.

You'll get more infor later from Linda I'm sure

Love

Eileen {UK}

• Posted

Dear Surrender,

If your problem is a staphylococcus problem these wipes will help. Just make sure you are not allergic to shampoos, detergents, fabric softeners or the hand wipes. Even spermicidal jellies are included in this. There is lanolin in them too and some are allergic to that too.

If not, the US Wet Ones have Benzethonium Chloride in them and the UK Wet Ones (like Eileen said) have Benzalkonium Chloride in them.

Both of these ingredients are ammonium salts or compounds and are Quats. Google this infl. Quats kill staphylococcus among other things.

Honjon on this site used the UK wipes and had the same results. So did Eileen and others.

Hope this info helps you and you can wear mascara and still kill it off. You have to buy throw away mascara wands. Even if you can't at this point get some for a week or so down the road.

You need to use 2 wash cloths when cleaning your eyes. One for each eye. You do not want to re-infect. I, actually, saw that mentioned by a doctor online too.

Buy new makeup and never put a used anything back into your makeup. Don't use your finger either.

Wish you success.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi Eileen, I am also in the UK. I have ordered big packs of the blue wipes on line and then picked them up at my local store.
    • Posted

Lynda,

I cant never thank you enough.. this was an embarrassing illness affecting my job my life my personal life. I AM CURED after finding your blog.. I suffered 3 years with blepharitis and when I met someone romantically 2 years ago..i didnt know what i would do as i didn't want to miss out on dates with my new found relationship. Its been 2 years and its gone.. and i still have my soulmate...😍 he doesn't even know about it...

Thanks Desiree

• Posted

Dear Desiree,

Good to hear another success story. This helps others to try it.

Thanks,

Lynda79

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.