Treatment resistant depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

having tried so many anti depressants, the psychiatrist has i think given up with me. is there anyone else out there with this problem and how do you handle it.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am also in the UK and I was in exactly the same position as you 30 years ago. As a last attempt to help me my psychiatrist put me on Phenelzine Sulphate/Nardil15mg which is one of the little used MAOI group of antidepressants. There are dietary issues and many drug interactions with this group of medicines but with care it doesn't present a major problem. I had spent 6 years trying almost every drug available to treat my depression and acute anxiety. I had been in and out of hospital numerous times and had 2 separate courses of ECT therapy.. i started phenelzine and within weeks i was back to normal. I got my life back and have been well ever since i started taking it. Tranylcypromine/Parnate is another MAOI which I've read is also used for this and would appear to be just as good. I hope this helps you as living with this condition isnt really living at all is it, I was in despair and nearly lost everyone I cared about through it. I totally believe Phenelzine saved my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.