Treatment with Ezetrol is it safe?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have taken Ezetrol for approximately 7 years having had considerable problems with statins and leg pain. 3 years ago I began to have sensations of heat and nerve pain in my legs . I was , a year later, sent to a neurologist but no determination of the cause was found. I also had a Doppler to assess the circulation, sent to a cardiologist who said it was normal. I thought the point of me seeing him was that the results were abnormal and were certainly very different from an earlier one at the time of the statins saga.I am now suffering pain in legs and the area of liver and a general malaise with some dizziness. This week I am to have a blood test to assess the liver function. I was never ill until the word Cholesterol came into my life and I have never been well since. There is plenty of information as time passes from Drs and other health care professionals who now seem prepared to stand and say that Cholesterol, statins and ezetimibe are not as they have been described to us. Cholesterol is necessary and statins and ezetimibe are questionable treatments.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer, my experience is just like yours...numbers and all.  Now I try to let people know...however..,especially in the medical field, there's great resistance.  One strange thing I heard from a cardio nurse and, in a different setting, a doctor, was that the real benefit of a statin was its anti inflammatory property.  Did anyone notice that pharma just changed its selling point?  I'd like to see the stats on that too.   
    • Posted

Hi Sankirk, yes, with all I have read over the last few days it seems they are now saying it is anti inflammatory.. 
    • Posted

Jennifer, I dont know who sets the levels, when I spoke to the GP who wants me on Statins to let her know I wont be taking them, I asked her why approx 3 years ago the national average for cholesterol levels had dropped from 6.2 to 5 (I am in the UK) she actually bypassed my question and said I just had to now "agressively alter my diet" .. it just seems like a cover up  to me for the large pharma companies to make a LOT of money from a LOT of unsuspecting people. I have done a lot of reading and it has been said that higher cholesterol is good for you especially as you get older. I really hope that new studies are done and the insiduous side of statins is exposed..
    • Posted

Research if even cholesterol is bad for you at all.

I now have serious questions about that. 

I no longer even care what my numbers are. I no longer have the blood tests. I don't believe any of it. I eat healthy foods mostly organic and I get my sleep and my exercise all in reasonable amounts. No refined sugars, no processed foods, no refined or enriched flours, and no meat.

Just organically raised chicken or turkey and some fish like sardines, herring, and macheral that don't have as much mercury as the bigger fish. I also eat lots of fresh veges and fruits. The best olive oil that I can find. There is lots of bad olive oil out there. Read a book on that.

I read that when they first started with the cholesterol  numbers thing that it was a total guess by a few doctors. They just had no idea and I believe still don't. 

I don't trust the doctors, I believe that they are salesmen for big pharma with an MD after their names.

Furthermore just because they went to medical school doesn't mean that they graduated at the top of their class, they may still be stupid or ignorant people and they may still be greedy, and non-caring individuals.

Why trust them more than anyone else in the world. While you are sitting there they are thinking about something else and want to write a prescription and get you out of their office. 

I know not all doc's are like this but most of the ones I have been to are. In fact I had a urologist that was sadistic and did painful tests on me that were not needed at all and then repeated them because he said the first ones were inconvlusive. More pain and more money in his pocket.

• Posted

Anti Inflamatory.  Can you remember where you read that?

It would be good to cite the names of the articles and where they can be found.

Ibruprofen is also anti inflamatory and you don't need a doc to get that.

• Posted

I can't remember to be honest where I read that but I certainly did!! I will go and try and find the article, it may well have been on Youtube. Good for you with your diet and your healthy outlook smile .. I am supposed to have another blood test in 10 weeks (I am not sure I want it now) I feel I have read enough and spoken to many other people who have had a nightmare of a time... so much for some GP's and trust,, I now find myself in a position where my "trusted GP" of many years has let me down.. and the other GP I saw is holding me to ransom saying if my levels dont come down she will not prescribe my HRT.. I am not happy about this at all.
    • Posted

I havnt tested mine since i had the side affects. A number might only caus more stress for me, and in this case i wont take them anyway,so i just do the best i can I . believe many foods are anti inflamatory as well as some supplements.
    • Posted

True, but it shouldn't be taken by anyone who's had a heart attack.   In fact I've found only one anti-inflammatory I'm happy to take (Ponstan).

Given that statins are routinely prescribed after heart attacks and that they CAUSE muscle and joint pain in many people, it would be a good selling point to convince us all they're safely anti-inflammatory, especially when they're prescribed for people who've had to stop taking ibuprofen.

• Posted

Please tell us which foods and supplements you believe are anti-inflammatory
    • Posted

Many green vegetables,broccoli etc,foods high in omega 3,blueberries list goes on and on. Just use Google.
    • Posted

I already eat a very healthy diet, with a high proportion of vegies I grow myself.   Omega 3 I'm not so sure about:  the dietician at the rehab group told us that the spreads containing this do lower "bad" cholesterol, but also the good cholesterol:  I don't know if this also applies to foods which lower the bad stuff and I just concentrate on a low fat, low sugar diet with lots and lots of vegies, plus psyllium husks most days when I have porridge for breakfast.

I'm having a cholesterol test next week so I'll be interested to see what my levels are after 18 months off statins, which I don't intend to return to

• Posted

Yeah I will:  I went along for that & a pap smear test last week but forgot about the fasting before the cholesterol test, so I now have another apt with the practice nurse for next week.     

I'm not sure about the research that says cholesterol isn't an issue in heart disease and I've had one heart attack, so I'll be interested to know if I've managed to get the level down with diet.   If not, I'll just have to live with it bc a return to statins is not an option for me

• Posted

As an MD i could not help but follow what you people are saying.

I keep my people away from statins . Make sure they get exercise and vitamin d.

We all need to stop creating diseases that dont really exist exp; hypercholesterolemia menopause fibromyalgia and treat real things like obesity and atherosclerosis.

• Posted

I have had a high cholesterol since 2003 after a full hysterectomy threw me into menopause and led to my thyroid failing which in turn raised the cholesterol. They put me on Pravastatin but that caused side effects, mainly muscle pain and circulatory so I stopped taking it.  Then my GP suggested Ezetrol which seemed fine at the start but I stopped taking them and to be honest I cant remember why as it was a few years back and a lot has happened since then.  

For a few years I took nothing, I was on Altkins (against the advice of my GP) but my cholesterol went down on its own  so everything was fine but then I had a serious fall and the lack of activity and a return to higher carb eating habits pushed my Cholesterol back up to 7 so the new doctor at my practice wanted to put me back on statins. When I said I couldn't take Pravastatin she suggested giving Ezeterol another try as my records showed I was only on them for a short while and there was no recorded reason for why I had stopped taking so I reluctantly agreed.

Since before Christmas I have been plagued with a cough that has got progressively worse, I assumed it was a bug but no one around me caught it, instead it just got worse, its now reached the stage where it is disturbing my sleep and I have a bark a dire wolf would be proud of so I have been trying to find a reason.  My searches led me to a website called druginformer.com that shows numerous people have been made seriously ill or died because of a cough bought on by Ezeterol; I was shocked and needless to say I am about to go back to my GP and tell her what she can do with the Ezetrol if you are interested look up Ezetimbe related cough.  I just hope I haven't done any lasting damage. No one mentioned you could develop a cough that could get bad enough to kill you when they gave me these things and even in the small print its only gets a one word mention under extremely rare side effects, why don't our doctors who are supposed to look after us know about these risks, I am disgusted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.