Trichomoniasis that will not go away! Please help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

In October I had regular checkup after roughly a month of itching, a smell that increasingly worse as the weeks went on and have discharge. I was told I had trichomoniasis and I was put on 1 round of metronidazole where I took 4 pills all at once. I felt fine for a day and then the symptoms started coming back. I went back and got another checkup and it was still there. I was then prescribed metronidazole again but two doses, 4 pills one day and another 4 pills two days after. This still did not work. I was then prescribed a metronidazole cream that I had to insert for 5 days. Same thing, I was fine for a day or two and it came back. I just went to the OB again and it still did not go away. I was prescribed metronidazole again but I had to take 4 pills a day for 5 days. I really thought It was gone and went 4 days feeling ok but tonight I feel the itching coming back. I was also prescribed a yeast infection pill just in case the antibiotics brought one on. Has anyone heard of this happening?? Could the doctor be mistaken or is there anything else I can do to get rid of this??? Please help! This has got me so depressed! I have not had sex with anyone since September. Is there anything else that could cause me to be reinfected?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

did the doc swab and send out for results to determine that it is trich?

• Posted

Yes each time he does a swab test. I don't understand why it hasnt went away.

• Posted

honey you might have what i been battling for teo months bv and yeast infection i been battling this for ever so i understand your pain i dont burn i dont have a odor i just itch wordt feeling ever

• Posted

They are different. Trich is a parasite, bv is like ph imbalance. How does your doctor know that you have trich? Did he send your swabs to a lab?

• Posted

Yes. Everytime I go to my ob he does a swab and leaves the room and some time later he comes back and says that is what it is. When I got the metronidazole cream that was my primary doctor who prescribed it and all she did was a urine sample and a blood test. She didn't say it was trichomoniasis, she said she sees a low level bacterial infection.

• Posted

it could be bv, but I wanna say that medicine is also the meds for bv. try getting on doxycline

• Posted

Would I have to ask my ob to put me on doxycycline? That was a thought that crossed my mind as far as my body has gotten use to the metronidazole so I need something else.

• Posted

Yes I would mention it. & to also get tested for everything sti/std related. When the drs look at swabs under the microscope its not fully accurate. Ask to have your results sent out to a lab.

• Posted

Wow I didnt know that! I will definitely see if it could be sent off and I am going to ask for the new meds and see if that works. Thank you for your advice.

• Posted

sorry this may be a weird question but do you maybe have a vibrator or something you could be reinfecting yourself with?

• Posted

No a weird question at all:) No I do not use one. I feel the doctor thinks I'm having sex but I swear on my life I have not. I was thinking could it be my pubic hair as I do not shave, or my wash cloth or towel? I change it every week but should I change towels every day while I'm taking the meds?

• Posted

ive only had chlamydia before and i just used my hands with soap down there just in case.. i also avoided tampons and things like that.. have you considered a second opinion from a different doctor?

• Posted

I'm honestly thinking that's the next route because everything I've read said trichomoniasis is easy to cure with antibiotics and I couldn't find anything saying it could come back without be reinfected.

• Posted

I think it's a little strange how quick your results are coming back, because just from a little Google search, it's saying the results typically take 24-72 hours to show up. I've been diagnosed with chlamydia and I believe it took about 3-5 days for them to get back to me. And beyond that. I've had severe BV before, like to the point where I would wear pants or underwear for all of 10 minutes and they would smell horribly or if I went to work, at the end of the night, I could smell myself from a standing position. Which I believe was treated with a few doses of clindamycin and that helped. if the antibiotics aren't working, which is very strange considering out of all antibiotics to have some type of resistance, that sounds a little off. if you do have BV, it's a slippery slope sometimes as it is often reoccuring and can lead to PID if left untreated for long. And you'll mostly face a yeastie and that at the same time. after showering, keep the area dry, like extremely, BV thrives on moisture and if you like yogurt, I'd start eating something with probiotics from all the medicine you're taking, which also helps. I hope you get an answer to your problem soon and disregard me completely if this doesn't help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.