Trigeminal Neuralgia help please!!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

My friend has recently been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. He started on Lyrica, but stopped due to side effects. Started taking Tegretol almost 3 weeks ago 200mg per day. Is now up to 1000mg per day. He found that the 1st couple of days he was heaps better and then the excruciating pain would begin again, up the dose, relief for a few days, pain, up the dose etc. At what point does he go up to, he is extremely irritable and upset (as am I), and needs some advice. Hasn't got a regular doctor, doesn't trust them for many many reasons. Please advise! Thanx

Tracy

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

also looking for anything that helps, and anything to avoid?
  • Posted

hi, ive had TN since end of jan 2016 so not long, i am currently on 1200mg, carbemazopine (tegratol) 400mg 3x day, went to see neurologist a wk ago and he changed my tabs to slow release so i dont get the spikes of pain relief then a dip, its more consistant, he also put me on 10mg baclofen, both seem to be doing a better job together. was told 1600mg carbamazapine was top dose. it mite help your friend if they spaced tabs out through the day so they get more consistant relief wether on normal or slow release. i was told to play around with them to find a program that suited me. also u really should see a neaurologist as there might be an underlying caurse for your TN, its not always just because of a blood vessle pushing on a nerve.

• Posted

Hi there, thanx for replying. My friend has now been put on Neurontin 300mg am/pm. So we'll see how that goes. He has had an MRI scan and it came back ok, thanx though!
  • Posted

I wish him and you the best of all possible outcomes. It can be a difficult road and keep in mind, things may need adjustment as he goes along. A Neurologist can give you the best chance of getting some questions answered. Let us know how things go in the future if you need us (or just to keep in touch)

V

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.