Skip to content
in this discussion +7 following Follow this discussion

Trigeminal Neuropathy

So I have Trigeminal Neuropathy and not Neuralgia. Does anyone else have the same?

Report this

20 Replies

• patyrod lawrencia10255

I have bilateral trigeminal neuropathy.  My whole facial area from mid-scalp point to chin and ear to ear and my mouth, tongue, palate, gums and all the mouth mucosa are numb and I suffer from all different kinds of pain in those areas.  The pains are not as intense as those of the sufferers of trigeminal neuralgia, thank goodness.  This numbness is constant and affects my chewing and my speech.  What are your symptoms?

0 Report this reply to patyrod

• lawrencia10255 patyrod

I have it on the right side. I deal with a lot of sharp pain, sometimes burning pain as well. The burning can last weeks or months but the sharp pain is pretty much everyday, the level of pain changes though. It makes it difficult to eat when it's really bad, brush my teeth, speak, or even move my head sometimes. At the moment I'm just experiencing sharp pain here and there, not a lot and I'm so glad, but I know it won't be this good for too long.

0 Report this reply to lawrencia10255

• patyrod lawrencia10255

Oh, I thought that your symptoms were for Type 2 Trigeminal Neuralgia.  My rheumatologist told me that trigeminal neuralgia is pain only and that trigeminal neuropathy is numbness and pain.  Do you have any numbness?  Did you have an MRI?

• johanna21 patyrod

I have recently been diagnosed with TN, in the last 3 weeks i have lost all sense of taste with numbness in mouth/face/scalp/gums. the only pain im experiancing is constant boringheadache & internittant pain in R nostril, the worst symptom is reduction in co-ordination,confusion, and forgetfullness, all i can explain the feeling is as feeling very spaced out. using an electiric toothbrush is a no no as the vibration make me want to be sick.

I tried the carbamazpine but this made the dizzy symptoms much worse even on the low 100mg twice per per day dose, so had to stop.

Im awaiting a neurologist appt at this current moment to confirm the diagnosis made by my GP via symptoms.

Does anyone know how long these symptoms last as am currently off work, this condition appears to be little known about by general doctors

0 Report this reply to johanna21

• patyrod johanna21

Hi Johanna.  I am so sorry that you are experiencing the numbness and loss of taste.  Mine has been constant for almost 18 months.  Luckily, I don't get headaches and my pains are intermittent and not caused by brushing teeth or eating.  No, I don't feel dizzy.  At first, they thought I had trigeminal neuralgia, but they changed it to trigeminal neuropathy after seeing the MRI.  It showed that my trigeminal nerve is not compressed by a vein or artery.  It is inflamed.  Supposedly, it is caused by an autoimmune factor.  Unfortunately, since there is no compression, they can't do surgery.  They can only treat with meds. 

At the beginning, they put me on Gabapentin and Tegretol.  I had a horrible reaction to the Tegretol, so stopped both.  Before this occured, I already had two autoimmune conditions--Raynaud's and vitiligo.  Six months after the trigeminal neuropathy started, I was struck by rheumatoid disease in hands and knees joints.  Now, they also think that a connective tissue disease is causing the nerve inflammation.  So, I have three or four autoimmune conditions.

I am currently taking Plaquenil, Methotrexate and Nortriptylene.  My neuropathy has only slightly improved.  At least, I can chew softer foods now without biting myself.  The Methotrexate has helped my joints which were very swollen and painful.

Don't give up on medication.  Keep trying what they offer.  Have they checked your blood for an autoimmune factor?  Actually, your symptoms of headache, dizziness and nose pain sound like you might have a sinus infection.  Cross your fingers for something like that.

I have never found anyone in any support forum or group that has my symptoms, so that is why I hang out with the trigeminal neuralgia folks.  It is the closest I can get and hopefully someone else like me will turn up.

• johanna21 patyrod

Hi Patyrod

All my bloods have been negative for any autoimmune conditions, my only deficency is vit d, even with injections i am not retaining this hence do get painfull joints if i miss the vit d replacement.

I have a neurology appointment on the 3rd April which will hopefully be followed by an MRI to detemine the cause of these symptoms.

sadly you seem to have more things going on, i had optic neuritus 2y ago and lost my vision for 3m in my r eye, this is highly linked to MS and at this time a luber pucture and mri ruled this condition out thankfully.

with this new episode i will need to be re investigated, i have numbness and burning pain in my R forearm which my gp reports is not linked to TN as this only affects the head & facial nerves?

• ibrahim57343 patyrod

Hi patyrod

My condition is just like yours i have a immune condition aswell , and my face nerve on my left got damaged , now iam getting constand burning like a electric current is following on my nerve ,bit of throbbing on my temepel and some mettalic taste around my mouth its been 5 weeks , no electric shooting pains its managebel but the discomfort is bad , iam 30 knowing this is chronic kind of scares me 😓

Just need your advice has any meds worked for you ?

And has your symptoms changed at all ?

They said mines due to a never damage so its not nuraliga more of a nerve pain , its can actually go as the nerve can sometimes heal it self can take 3 years by that time if its still there then its chronic iam just hopeing 🙏

0 Report this reply to ibrahim57343

• johanna21 ibrahim57343

Hi Ibrahim

My facial numbness lasted about 6 weeks. I had an MRI 6 months ago which was negative for MS but unfortunatley a recent one has come back positive.

Ask to be screened for MS if you have not already as TN can be linked to this.

• johanna21 lawrencia10255

i think i have his conditon althiugh my gp has diagnosed T neuralgiat he pain is secondary to the bilateral numbness and loss of taste, do you also feel spaced out, i stopped the medication as this made dizzy symptoms worse. im currently waiting a neurology appt as also having loss of balance and co-ordination

• s83681 lawrencia10255

Hi i am of african descent living in the caribbean and was recently diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. I removed 3 wisdom teeth a couple years ago and was diagnosed with TMJ and to this day i still clench and grind my teeth and there is a tight knot in my right jaw. Prior to being diagnosed with TN I had tingling in my face for a while however the pain is only on my right side and it comes and goes but i also have a sore spot in my head (not sure if its from grinding or TN). I am panicking alot because i saw online TN is a symptom of Multiple Sclerosis or i might have an inflamed artery which presses on a nerve. I dont have headaches because i am still able to function however when i get the pain in my cheek bone jaw along my nose and forehead my eyes seem to hurt as well and i feel a bit disoriented (for lack of a better word on my right side) until the pain goes away. My memory is good because remember ever thing (just completed a degree) i have no muscle weakness so its literally just the pain and tembling. I am terribly scared because i am worried that i may have to do an MRI or more test. Please respond someone

2 Report this reply to s83681

• johanna21 s83681

Hi, an MRI who look for several things including signs of MS and compressed vessels that may be pressing on a vessel causing these symptoms we yoi are having. Don't be scared of the MRI this is painless and will show very accurate results which may be helpful in managing your symptoms as I know first hand how awful they are.

• s83681 johanna21

I do hope its a result of my TMJ which i have had for the past few years. I just ate before i responded and the pain is here....i have an appointment to do ESR and CRP test to check for inflammation and after that i assume based on the results i would know what is next. Other than this I am pretty fine...no confusion no weakness no blindness. Still scared sad

1 Report this reply to s83681

• johanna21 s83681

Hope all goes well with your blood test, inflammatory markers are generally within normal range with this condition. The best person to treat this condition is a neurolgist, I have my appt in 2w and hoping he can offer some element of mangement, I fear my sympoms could be linked to MS, i really hope they are not.

• patyrod johanna21

Since your tests so far have been negative, doesn't that rule out MS?  Hopefully, your forearm pain is just an injury or maybe carpal tunnel syndrome.  Did you have an Xray?  I am having carpal tunnel surgery on both hands tomorrow.  When I got the rheumatoid disease last year, I started getting severe numbness and pain in my hands and forearms.  They did a nerve test and found the carpal tunnel problem.  The rheumatoid disease makes the joints and tendons in the hands and wrists swell and the wrist joints, part of which are the ends of the forearms, irritate the compressed nerve inside the carpal tunnel (or something like that). biggrin  I can't wait to get this procedure done.  I am sure that I will be much more comfortable. 

• johanna21 patyrod

Best of luck with your surgery.

My prev MRI 7m ago was negative, i need to have these annually due to the past & now presenting symptoms, this latest occurnace has been the worst and although TN very obvious, the L sided loss of balance and co-ordination has raised further concerns re MS...hoping this is not the case and something compressing a nerve vessel, had a ct scan this week which showed an enlarged R optic nerve.. the ct ruled out stroke and any type of tumour which was a huge relief.

• s83681 johanna21

I am happy your MRI was negative......I would be getting my results tomorrow but the dr said if the ESR and CRP are normal then he would rule out inflamation for now....that is until i visit a dentist and see whats up because i  do have cavities. I acutally stopped the Tegretol and took an ANSAID 8 hours ago and i havent had any pain since....so i am going to take another before the pain even decides to come back....dont know why i didnt try this particular pain killer before. Really hoping I dont have to reach the point where I need an MRI. i think i should try an optamologist as well to make sure my vision is what my version of normal is because i do wear corrective lense. 

0 Report this reply to s83681

• ibrahim57343 lawrencia10255

Hi lawrencia

I also have trigeminal neuropathy

Its not intense its on my left but sometimes it moves over to my right ,

I get throbbing pain on my tempel , i can feel my nerves getting warm and tingling moveing around

Not intense but it feels very uncomfortable feels numb , i also get headaches and metalic taste in my mouth ,

Mine satrted admfter a injury on my left tempel irritating the nerve , thats why its not nuraliga ,

How did yours start has any medication helped all iam 30 and iam scared that this is going to Stay with me all my life , my doc told me becouse it happend from a accident and pinched the nerve there is s high chance it would recover but could take 3 years hope mines is on of them cases 🙏

Hope you are feeling better please any advice and help i would love to hear from you or anyone

0 Report this reply to ibrahim57343

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.