Trigeminal Neuropathy

Posted , 17 users are following.

So I have Trigeminal Neuropathy and not Neuralgia. Does anyone else have the same?

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i think i have his conditon althiugh my gp has diagnosed T neuralgiat he pain is secondary to the bilateral numbness and loss of taste, do you also feel spaced out, i stopped the medication as this made dizzy symptoms worse. im currently waiting a neurology appt as also having loss of balance and co-ordination
  • Posted

Hi i am of african descent living in the caribbean and was recently diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. I removed 3 wisdom teeth a couple years ago and was diagnosed with TMJ and to this day i still clench and grind my teeth and there is a tight knot in my right jaw. Prior to being diagnosed with TN I had tingling in my face for a while however the pain is only on my right side and it comes and goes but i also have a sore spot in my head (not sure if its from grinding or TN). I am panicking alot because i saw online TN is a symptom of Multiple Sclerosis or i might have an inflamed artery which presses on a nerve. I dont have headaches because i am still able to function however when i get the pain in my cheek bone jaw along my nose and forehead my eyes seem to hurt as well and i feel a bit disoriented (for lack of a better word on my right side) until the pain goes away. My memory is good because remember ever thing (just completed a degree) i have no muscle weakness so its literally just the pain and tembling. I am terribly scared because i am worried that i may have to do an MRI or more test. Please respond someone
    • Posted

Hi, an MRI who look for several things including signs of MS and compressed vessels that may be pressing on a vessel causing these symptoms we yoi are having. Don't be scared of the MRI this is painless and will show very accurate results which may be helpful in managing your symptoms as I know first hand how awful they are.

• Posted

I do hope its a result of my TMJ which i have had for the past few years. I just ate before i responded and the pain is here....i have an appointment to do ESR and CRP test to check for inflammation and after that i assume based on the results i would know what is next. Other than this I am pretty fine...no confusion no weakness no blindness. Still scared sad

• Posted

Hope all goes well with your blood test, inflammatory markers are generally within normal range with this condition. The best person to treat this condition is a neurolgist, I have my appt in 2w and hoping he can offer some element of mangement, I fear my sympoms could be linked to MS, i really hope they are not.
    • Posted

Since your tests so far have been negative, doesn't that rule out MS?  Hopefully, your forearm pain is just an injury or maybe carpal tunnel syndrome.  Did you have an Xray?  I am having carpal tunnel surgery on both hands tomorrow.  When I got the rheumatoid disease last year, I started getting severe numbness and pain in my hands and forearms.  They did a nerve test and found the carpal tunnel problem.  The rheumatoid disease makes the joints and tendons in the hands and wrists swell and the wrist joints, part of which are the ends of the forearms, irritate the compressed nerve inside the carpal tunnel (or something like that). biggrin  I can't wait to get this procedure done.  I am sure that I will be much more comfortable. 

• Posted

Best of luck with your surgery.

My prev MRI 7m ago was negative, i need to have these annually due to the past & now presenting symptoms, this latest occurnace has been the worst and although TN very obvious, the L sided loss of balance and co-ordination has raised further concerns re MS...hoping this is not the case and something compressing a nerve vessel, had a ct scan this week which showed an enlarged R optic nerve.. the ct ruled out stroke and any type of tumour which was a huge relief.

• Posted

I am happy your MRI was negative......I would be getting my results tomorrow but the dr said if the ESR and CRP are normal then he would rule out inflamation for now....that is until i visit a dentist and see whats up because i  do have cavities. I acutally stopped the Tegretol and took an ANSAID 8 hours ago and i havent had any pain since....so i am going to take another before the pain even decides to come back....dont know why i didnt try this particular pain killer before. Really hoping I dont have to reach the point where I need an MRI. i think i should try an optamologist as well to make sure my vision is what my version of normal is because i do wear corrective lense. 
    • Posted

Do not be afraid of an MRI. If you are claustrophobic, request an "open MRI" which allows you to see out on the sides a little. It helps a lot. Also, they can give you medication to sort of tranquilizebyou during the procedure so you can relax. An MRI is kind of noisy, but there is no pain. Make sure you are working with a neurologist who treats TN. That is pretty essential.

• Posted

You should definitely have an MR and if unsatisfied with your doctor's diagnoses go to another one.  The MR should show up if your T G nerve has the damage typical of MS - it may not be that at all.  DOn't panic, get more tests done and please see good doctors until you get a diagnosis that fits most of your symptoms.  This is a relatively rare condition and not all doctors are up to date with it, so many people get incorrect diagnoses at first.  Don't give up.

• Posted

Hi there, i know you posted this over a year ago so you're probably much further on but just incase, some of your symptoms struck a chord with me. I was diagnosed with tmjd after having a couple of procedures done then I also developed TN, although not 100% whether it's neuralgia or neuropathy, but id say neuropathy. Anyway I developed a knot type thing on my jaw muscles. I too clench and unclench uncontrollably. Turns out that i have something called Myofascial pain and dysfunction and that's what causes the knots, the clenching and very possibly the nerve pain. Many people have never heard of it so i thought it was worth mentioning. If you are still struggling then it's worth looking up but I hope that your symptoms have eased

• Posted

Hi lawrencia

I also have trigeminal neuropathy

Its not intense its on my left but sometimes it moves over to my right ,

I get throbbing pain on my tempel , i can feel my nerves getting warm and tingling moveing around

Not intense but it feels very uncomfortable feels numb , i also get headaches and metalic taste in my mouth ,

Mine satrted admfter a injury on my left tempel irritating the nerve , thats why its not nuraliga ,

How did yours start has any medication helped all iam 30 and iam scared that this is going to Stay with me all my life , my doc told me becouse it happend from a accident and pinched the nerve there is s high chance it would recover but could take 3 years hope mines is on of them cases 🙏

Hope you are feeling better please any advice and help i would love to hear from you or anyone

• Posted

Hi!   Don't worry too much - if your pain is really bearable then you may prefer to put up with it, since most normal painkillers don't work on TN;  however if it really disturbs you then go to a neurologist to get a prescription for an up-to-date and appropriate medication.  The ones that people on this list are prescribed, and that the internet says are most appropriate for these conditions, are all very powerful and you should definitely get your consultant's advice and prescriptions before taking them.  I found that mine made me feel terrible for hours after taking even a low dosage, but after a week or so the nasty side effects got better and lasted for less time, and in my case it was worth it because eventually it blocked all pain.  However you have to take these medications with great care and follow the doctor's instructions to the letter.  Also when you start you should not plan on driving because of the strong likelihood of severe dizziness and lack of proper balance or ability to go on in a straight line.   This gets better I find, unless you are on a very heavy dosage.  This is why I said you need to work out if your pain is bearable or not. If it becomes too much to cope with then you can ask about these medications.  I heard that T Neuropathy tends to disappear on its own but that no one knows if it takes months or years to go.  Sorry about the lack of specific info and I really hope yours goes soon.  

• Posted

Hi,

I have Trigeminal Neuropathy. It started as a tooth ache 1 year 8 months ago. 4 months visiting different dentists, root fillings and lost one molar.

No idea why or how I got it. Life has been really difficult ever since. I have tried everything, but nothing helps. Medicines, MVD, acupuncture, botox, facial massage,

psychologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.