Triggers of ETD

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone think caffeine, alcohol or humid weather affects their symptoms or makes them worse?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I find that alcohol triggers mine, i barely drink now because of it (other reasons too!) alcohol I read produces a histamine response similar to allergies. As my etd is allergy induced I get the same symptoms.

I don't drink caffeine either but didn't feel this triggered it for me personally

Cs

• Posted

I'm not even sure what mine is caused from. I had a cold in December fell asleep, woke up and been this way ever since. Did you have known allgeries before ETD?

• Posted

Yes I've had allergies since I was 18 so most of my life. Mostly seasonal but they've gotten worse as I get older.

• Posted

Humid weather seems to make mine worse. 😖 Living in Michigan and this summer has been filled with humidity?

• Posted

My ETD seems to come and go in maybe 8 week cycles, and i really can't say what triggers a cycle. Wherever i am in that cycle though, alcohol definitely makes it worse. I only drink on Friday and Saturday nights, but my ETD and sinus issues are always worse on Sundays and Mondays until things start to level out.

I never had a single problem with my ears until I stopped smoking 4 years ago, and it's been a nightmare since.

• Posted

So you get relief every 8 weeks or so? And you didn't have a problem until after you wit smoking? I get no relief at all, just get worse with humid weather. I have never noticed alcohol or caffeine maybe I don't drink either enough to see a pattern. How long have you suffered? Have you ever had or thought about having the balloon dilation?

• Posted

I attribute my ETD to a combination of allergies, giving up smoking, possibly weight gain as a result, and work related stress, but who knows!

I've had ETD for the last 4 years, which started off as a complete left side blockage for a few months, then middle ear infection, tinnitus, labyrintihitis etc etc. It was a nightmare that ending in me having grommets. Over another year, things started to settle considerably. Fast forward 4 years, and my symptoms are nowhere near as severe, and much easier to deal with. My tinnitus is moderate, my tubes are mainly open but click quite alot. I have good periods and bad periods. When it gets bad, the only thing that seems to help me is inhaling steam at least twice a day with either eucalytus or tea tree oil. Tea tree oil seems to work much better for me, as an anti-inflammatory. I combine that with twice daily neti pot rinses to keep things moving, and dymista spray. Apart from that, I've tried many things that made no difference to me personally, but everyone is different ie: daily anti-histamine, steroid sprays, dairy free, agressive dust control, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, etc etc, but they didn't help me personally as much as steam and neti pot rinses do.

Balloon dilation isn't available in UK as far as I know, and I'm not sure how long term that is as a solution. I'm sure ot helps some people, but i don't know anything about it.

It's extremely frustrating that the DRs and ENTs seem to know nothing about the condition, in UK at least.. The best advice i can give to anyone else going through this is, you WILL get better, so relax and try to manage it as best you can, with whatever works for you, because it may take some time. Stress and anxiety most definitely makes everything worse in my experience. 

• Posted

I'm the same way. Only drink some on weekends and think it's worse then.

• Posted

I totally agree with what you said about how stress and anxiety definitely compound the problem and makes things worse. That’s what happened to me. About 4 weeks ago I got sick with bad cold and strep throat. It eventually made my ears plug up and increased the tinnitus I have always had but never bothered me until it got ramped up. Got prescribed Amoxicillin. 

Strep went away in couple days but ears remained plugged. Was told to keep taking The Amoxicillin till it was gone. I started getting anxiety and it increased very aggressively over the next couple of weeks. I did some research on Amoxicillin and found it can cause adverse reactions like anxiety and central nervous system damage. I think the combination of that and the plugged ears gave me horrible anxiety. 

I went to GP today and he thinks I have ETD and no fluid in my ears because my ear drum was actually retracted instead of pushing out if there was fluid. 

My Eustachion tubes need to open back up. Been told it can take time. He did give me a prescription for Hydroxyzine (antihistamine and anti-anxiety) to see if that can help with opening up the tubes and helping with the anxiety a little through out the day and a mild sleep aid to help me sleep at night. 

I haven’t gotten much sleep last few weeks which I’m sure has helped increase the anxiety. Sleep deprivation can wreak havoc on your nervous system. 

I am also taking some natural supplements to help with the anxiety ( Glycine tablets and Honokiol extract) they are both very good for resetting your brain and nervous system to healthy levels. 

Stressing about the ears doesn’t help at all. It can be scary and difficulties and even though mine are still plugged, just hearing other people say they will eventually pop open just makes a person feel better. The body is a complicated thing, but it usually finds a way to heal itself and that is what I am hoping for. 

• Posted

I don't know what causes mine or if it is etd.My right ear is thumping and no one here has the annoying thumping ....i can't sleep or think or eat. 

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. I sometimes feel as though I hear my heartbeat or a thumping. It's really annoying but it passes fairly quickly. It worries me a bit and probably doesn't help my anxiety with the whole thing.

• Posted

Yeah I've had that in both ears at different times. It's called pulsatile tinnitus. It seemed to last about a month each time for me but worse at night. Sleeping upright a bit seemed to help.

• Posted

its not that ...it dont match a heartbeat...it flutters rumbles crckle thumping...not what you have....it water behind the ear and it will drive you to suicide.....its that bad
    • Posted

I'm sorry you are dealing with it. I'm sure it's unnerving.

• Posted

I haven't had a drop of caffeine or alcohol since this started on January 1.  I can't say if it helps or not.  I also avoid, wheat, soy, dairy, yeast and eggs due to an allergy.  The doctor thought my ears would clear up after eliminating the foods and candida but it didn't.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.