Trimalleolar ankle fracture: Need positivity

Posted , 9 users are following.

I broke my ankle on the 4th of June( Trimalleolar ankle fracture) and am waiting to get surgery on Wednesday. I am a stay-at-home mom of a 2 1/2 year old and a 7 month old, and I am really depressed that I am not able to take care of my kids. My husband has taken off work in the meantime until we find a daycare that we are comfortable with them going to. Does anyone have any positive stories to share with me on their recovery. How long did it take you to start walking again? Also, what should I expect after surgery?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, 

I had a bad trimalleolar break on April 9th, surgery on April 17th.   I had 2 plates and 12 pins put in. I was in a hard splint/cast for the first two weeks then after my stitches  came out I was put in a boot. It was a long recovery and I really needed help from friends and family.  Let them do things for you. Don’t feel bad about it. Make sure you have what you need to be more mobile and assist you in day to day life. Raised toilet seat, a shower transfer seat if you don’t have a walk in shower, waterproof cover for the splint, a wheelchair, a walker, a  knee scooter.  These all become really important. I got a pillow wedge to keep my leg elevated, some compression stocks to wear under the boot and a special ankle cold/heat wrap to help.  The first weeks after surgery are the worst pain wise and you may feel really down.  Take the pain meds. Take the pain meds. I can’t stress that enough. The pain will be there  and you need to control it  I had some burning/shooter pain from the nerves regenerating  elevate it and ice it. Take the pain meds . It’s all normal. Things do start to get better. You will get better.  I started  physical therapy about 4 weeks after surgery.    As of today I am in therapy 3 times a week and started light weight bearing  with a walker last week.  I no longer take the pain meds, just Tylenol or Advil when needed. Hopefully in another month or so I will be able to walk with just a crutch or cane and then unaided.  I was told that it is about a 12 week recovery time from surgery to walking but everyone is a little different. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.  This is a great group to help you with your questions or concerns. 

• Posted

Great advice. Having the tools you need to manage ADLs is crucial. My shower chair was my saving grace!
    • Posted

Hi Monique, 

I was wondering when did the pain subside after ankle surgery? When did you stop taking narcotics?

• Posted

Hi, 

I keep reading that people stopped taking the pain meds a week or so after surgery. That was not the case with me. I kept taking them until about 4 weeks after. But my break was pretty bad and I had some serious nerve pain. I just started gradually taking less during the day...then down to only one at night to help me sleep.  Last two weeks I’ve only taken Tylenol for the pain... but remember everyone handles pains differently and each break and surgery is different so do what is best for you   If you need the pain meds, please take it...no sense in being in pain if you don’t need to be

• Posted

I broke mine in February of this year and I’m still on the mend. I have a now, 3 year old. I am also a stay at home mom. I had to get two of my kids to rotate helping me the first month. After that, I actually was able to get up and do a lot of things with my son. It was not easy and I lost the help of my kids two months in. I have had to deal with my son by myself while my husband is at work. No, it was not easy but it actually has helped me get up and get going and heal better. Good luck going forward. 👍🏽

• Posted

I had trimalleolar surgery on 28 February.I was surgery on February 28th for the Trimalleolar fracture. At 8 weeks I was allowed to walk partially weight.Now I can go without crutches. Sometimes I help myself with a single crutch. I have 57 old and 90 kg weight.
    • Posted

You are doing good. Keep it up! 😊

I am out of the boot and on a brace. About to be out of that too because I do not wear it unless up around the house (safety from the baby...lol), or out and about. I wear my shoe like normal. I’m trying to practice walking like normal. Making my foot bend and curl like a normal walking gate. My insurance doesn’t work here in Texas where I moved and I need to get into physical therapy. Trying to get that changed over now. I know that’s what I need because I don’t want to heal with a limp.

• Posted

I had the same break on May 17 and surgery on the 24th. I was in a splint for 2 weeks and just got a cast put on this week. I’ll be in it for 4 weeks then they will move me to a boot. My advice would be to get a nerve block before surgery that numbs you from the knee down. It was very helpful the day of surgery and made things easier. Once it wore off there was a lot of pain. I finished my prescription of pain meds and haven’t taken any since. The pain meds and the anesthesia can make you constipated so get some stool softeners. Also a knee scooter is very helpful. Crutches get you there faster but if you are clumsy like me, they can be dangerous. I’m 3 weeks post op and am going to my college classes and clinicals. I told myself after I got my splint off and stitches out that I wasn’t gonna sulk and stay in bed all day everyday. Hope you have a successful surgery! 
    • Posted

I didn’t really do the pain meds either. Right after the break happened until surgery, about a week. Then the first week after surgery. After that, I couldn’t deal with them. Hydro cosine makes me loopy. I can’t stand that feeling. I took Naproxin every now and then cause the doctor said it helps in the blood flow process. Otherwise I wouldn’t have taken it either. I’m not good with pain meds. They really make me sick or loopy.
    • Posted

How long did the pain last for after surgery? How long were you taking pain medication for?

• Posted

When you know what to expect it is a little easier to deal with it. Surgery and recovery depend, in large part, on the severity of your injury. My ankle was dislocated with 2 displaced fractures. I have a plate with 8 screws on the outer aspect of my ankle and 2 large screws on the inner. I was 6 weeks non weight bearing. I got myself a little lightweight transfer wheelchair and was able to do just about all my normal activites. Started walking in the boot at 7 weeks. I went from walker to cane to independent with boot within 2 weeks. The recovery process is long and frustrating so don't be discouraged if it seems slow. It is. But it gradually gets better and you will celebrate each little accomplishment. Good luck and I hope you heal quickly

• Posted

As they all stated, everyone’s recovery is different.  I broke mine April 15, surgery on April 20.  I am 7 weeks since surgery and walking (well hobbling lol).  I wear shoes but most of the time I am barefoot because it is easier for me.   I have used my pool for therapy and started walking in my pool about 3.5 weeks ago which I believed helped a lot.

I consider myself lucky to have healed quickly and use my foot/ankle.   Now to elaborate, it will swell if I am up too long and still swells a little regardless.  It does not “hurt” but will get achey from use but to me that is a good ache smile

Just wanted to give you a heads up on a shorter time frame as well .. good luck and I know it sucks.  Also as they mentioned, don’t be a hero and take the meds when you need them!

• Posted

Thanks guys! Hearing that there is eventually progress makes me feel better. Pain medications are not going to be so easy to take since I am still nursing my baby and I exclusively breastfeed.
    • Posted

Hi Broken Ankle This is my story:

In mid March I broke my ankl, triple fracture. Plaster for a week, then surgery -metal plate and 8 screws and plaster for 3 weeks and after that the air boot for 4 weeks. The weeks in plaster were the toughest. I hopped on my good leg with the aid of the frame. Very limiting in what I could do. The pain after the op was bad for 3 days. In the UK I was given paracetemols and codein. I stopped taking it regularly after a week. The burning/shooting nerve pain was sharp but beareable. I was told to walk as soon as I was given the air boot. I now have been walking for 3 and a half weeks and the distance I can walk relatively comfortably has increased but I do not walk more than 3/4 of a mile. My ankle swells as sooon.as I walk and when I stand a lot.

I do a lot of stretching exercises both for my foot and leg. It is very important to do them. I thought that my recovery has been slow so far but the doc thinks I am doing well. Two of the screws are to be removed next week and I am told that this should increase the ankle movement.

I always have been very active and this injury and resulting immobility really got me down. BUT, recovery although slow does happen so be patient and optimistic. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi, I fell wearing flip flops 9 days ago, I had surgery 5 days ago & looking forward to my 1st post op visit this coming Friday.  I have the hard splint/ 3 sided cast & if I remember correctly the dr said I should be getting a boot, although I will be NWB for about 6 weeks he said. My pain level has been very weird. I had the nerve block during surgery on Tuesday and I felt NOTHING until Friday! Friday I had tingles & took some pain pills because I was warned that as soon as I felt it wearing off to take them. Yesterday, Saturday I took ONLY Tylenol & again today only Tylenol. Tonight I'm alittle more tingly but I'll wait a bit & see how I do on just the Tylenol before I reach for the prescription. Good luck with surgery & keep us posted!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.