Triptans??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

I take Triptans for my HM, I find Naratriptan works best for me however as I get miraines everyday I know it is not safe to use everyday due to rebound Migraines but I take them when I am feeling really unwell. Can you tell me how often it is safe to take them?

Thankyou, Robyn smile

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Great you will get even more benefit from the increase in Flunarizine Robyn!  I find that if I do get a hemeplegic migraine they tend only to last a couple of days now.

Is that a tablet form of triptan Robyn?

• Posted

Ah that's brilliant news. Did your neurologist say how long you would be on them for?

Yes its a tablet form, I am yet to speak to my GP about the injections. what injection do you use?

• Posted

well I am not sure how long I will be on the flunarizine for, but I know they help me a lot!

Btw Robyn dont take amitriptyline with flunarizine, they really dont work together at all, my neurologist said!

• Posted

No i dont want to add anything else into the mix with what im taking. Im quite happy to stay on this. 

What triptans do you use?

• Posted

I just use the sumatripan injections, for cluster headache and yes they also help when I get hemaplegic migraine too.  I swear by these injections Robyn, they work very quickly, but I only use them when I need them as they are powerful things
    • Posted

Do you get them from your GP? I may mention it when im next in. Im sure im paying for my GPs holidays and that he gets sick of me ha 
    • Posted

ha ha ha, thats what I think too about my GP! Yes I get them from my GP.  I used to get the branded version called Imigran, then they found the generic version which is cheaper of course but does the job just the same.

I now have lots of meds so have the prepayment certificate that saves me a lot of money

• Posted

Robyn something else that helps us, is regular and good quality sleep, do you get a good night sleep regularly?
  • Posted

The thing is everybody has a different reason why they get hemaplegic migraine, classic migraine or cluster headache, and the treatment is also different.  I have had nerve block injections in the head which only lasted a few days, before my headaches returned. Surgery is not needed for me at the moment.  It has worked well for you Nicola and thats great and I wish you all the best, but what works for one wont for others.
    • Posted

That's why you have the Botox test first! They will not do it if there not sure it will work.
    • Posted

Yes I totally understand that, but my neurologist said that botox wasnt an option for my particular conditions, so the op that you had wont be available to me.  Deep brain stimulation as been suggested to me, if all the options for drugs fail.  I have very few left open to me I can tell you
    • Posted

Oh I do wish you the best of luck. Maybe it's worth getting a second opinion ? It's horrible having to suffer for years and years. I do know how you feel, I've been through everything myself. Don't ever be fobbed off.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice and well wishes Nicola, I will bear that in mind.  I am not the kind of person to be fobbed off though believe me.  I do my own reseach all the time and would know if they were telling me rubbish

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.