Triptans??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

I take Triptans for my HM, I find Naratriptan works best for me however as I get miraines everyday I know it is not safe to use everyday due to rebound Migraines but I take them when I am feeling really unwell. Can you tell me how often it is safe to take them?

Thankyou, Robyn smile

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I take sumatriptan, the last time I collected my prescription, the pharmacist told me I shouldn't be taking more than 12 a month as there is a higher risk of getting a stroke. I usually need 6-8 a month.
    • Posted

Its good to have this info Kath as I use around the same amount of injections as you.  I have started using more lately as I get a cluster headache after exercise, so my neurologist has oredered another mri scan following that a consultation, I am yet to see the letter to tell me what med to take, prior to exercise.

May I ask if you take tablets or injections Kath?

• Posted

Yes, I take tablets, injections have never been mentioned to me. I'm waiting to see my neurologist again though because I seem to be getting more frequent migraines and none of the preventative meds work. Would just love to go a month without a migraine.
    • Posted

well I used to have tablets, but the injections are so much better and work in about 10 minutes to take away the pain.  Have you been diagnosed with cluster headache, or a form on migraine?  I tried so many different preventative meds, before finally having a better success with verapamil and pregabalin.  If you get hemaplegic migraine ask about flunarizine, it really is the best to prevent getting them.

Good luck with the neurologist Kath

• Posted

No, they are not cluster headaches but a form of migraine, no one has mentioned what type. I have suffered with them for over 40 years though. They used to be controllable, I would get a visual disturbance followed by pain over left eye. If I took paracetamol straight away, I wouldn't get the pain and I only got them vey occasionally but about 15 years I started to get a different type of headache in my left temple which didn't respond to any pain killers. These occurred about every 6-8 weeks and that's when I started going to the doctors. Over the years I have tried all types of meds, beta blockers, antidepressants, anti epileptic drugs and nothing has worked, although I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned. I' m now lucky if I can go 10 days without a headache, but the sumatriptan works well and at least I can get on with things, but I am slightly concerned that I may be taking too many. I will ask the doctor about the ones you mentioned, but they may just be a variation on ones that I have already tried.

Thanks for your comments.

• Posted

Well Kath, I find that with the medical proffesion you have to nag them to find out what is actually going on with your health.  I never worry about nagging them as its my health and not theres at stake.  Sometimes you even have to suggest different meds to them, as I have done over the years.

I do a lot of research with the meds and my condition.

Hope you soon find some preventative meds that improve your life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.