Trochanteric Bursitis

Posted , 29 users are following.

I am shortly due to have my third steriod injection within 12 months for this condition.  The first one worked for about 6 months but unfortunately the second one didn't, so my consultant is doing it again in two weeks time.  He seems a bit vague as to alternative treatments for this condition and has ruled out surgery claiming it has little effect.  I am not inclined to have steroid injections for the rest of my life and wondeer if anyone else has had alternative effective treatment?  I am a reasonably fit 63 year old, or at least I was before this condition set it and must admit to the pain getting me down at times.

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi can't offer you any alternative but I'm impressed your consultant is offering you a third injection mine dismissed it out right and has offered no alternative for me at present.
    • Posted

Hi that's really poor does he expect you to just put up with the pain?  Whilst i would like to find an alternative treatment, the injection, whilst very painful, does offer some relief.  I may try accupuncture as my sister regularly has it for back pain and she swears by it.  I hope you get some treatment of some kind soon.
    • Posted

Hi there...I have been suffering withTrochanteric bursitis in both thighs for several years now..the most important treatment for me is steroid injections...BUT PLEASE NOTE..it is essential that the doctor finds the EXACT SPOT to inject. Also he should determine the dosage strength..I had to up the dose and this worked for me. Sometimes the pain goes away for several weeks but this varies.Hope this helps.
    • Posted

"the most important treatment for me is steroid injections". Do you mean most effective treatment?

Agree about accuracy of injecton. This is enhanced by having a skilled and experienced clinician doing it, and the need in the "chubby" to do it under radiological control with an appropriately long (3 1/2") spinal needle.

• Posted

I have only just been diagnosed with it and trying to get a steroid injection arranged but I am horrified that this may be unsolveable as the pain at night is awful. Why does leg length matter ?
    • Posted

A short leg causes the buttock muscles on that side to work harder in order to lift the pelvis sufficiently for the longer leg to swing through.

How was the diagnosis reached?

• Posted

Did the MRI distinguish between a trochanteric bursitis and a gluteal enthesopathy?
    • Posted

It actually said"trochanteric bursitis/gluteal enthesopathy"
  • Posted

I would have expected a more detailed description of the findings.
    • Posted

The MRI was carried out for another reason and this was just incidental - it was done in December - and I have only recently found out it was on the MRI report at all - I thought I had a tight piri formis and was trying to do stretches for that -  only found out by accident.
  • Edited

Piriformis entrapment is a clear cut syndrome, difficult to confuse with gluteal enthesopathy -  and your posts exemplify the problems of self diagnosis.

If you would like more details on the treatment of gluteal enthesopathy I suggest that you write to me directly, as you apprear to be making incorrect assumptions about the management, which should be straight forward.

• Edited

Having read all this I'm must say it's very interesting, and self diagnoisis is a problem but when you have no other help !  you will clutch at anything that seems viable, to help get you through.

• Posted

I have read all this with great interest as a fellow sufferer I to have no Idea what I should be doing for the best! I have had 2 injections that were useless, and tomorrow I am seeing the Osteopath and living in hope that he can do something. I personnally think I have Ischioguteral problems, Well I'm going to through it into the mix anyway, as my behind kills me if I've done anything different like walk a couple of miles !! as well as my hip goodness me we are all suffering and no one seems to listen.
    • Posted

I feel the same. I became hopeless at one point. But now I found my solution. I had dental malocclusion, which made it hard for me to balance, which made it hard for my muscles, which caused my bursitis.

I'm treating my jaw alignment and now I could walk long hours. Sounds crazy. But I can't help share it because I want to help many people like me who suffers this endless problem. Have a check with your dentist. And get the dentis who treats dental malocclusion, only few are trained for it I heard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.