Trochanteric Bursitis

Posted , 29 users are following.

I am shortly due to have my third steriod injection within 12 months for this condition.  The first one worked for about 6 months but unfortunately the second one didn't, so my consultant is doing it again in two weeks time.  He seems a bit vague as to alternative treatments for this condition and has ruled out surgery claiming it has little effect.  I am not inclined to have steroid injections for the rest of my life and wondeer if anyone else has had alternative effective treatment?  I am a reasonably fit 63 year old, or at least I was before this condition set it and must admit to the pain getting me down at times.

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, I have been looking for information on trochanteric bursitis and came upon this forum. Read with interest your experiences and wondered if any of you had experienced nerve pain down the leg with this bursitis? Pain radiates all the way from the hip down to my shin making walking almost impossible. When I sit down it appears to reset itself and allows me about 10 minutes of pain free walking. I have been in PT for several sessions and little has appeared to work, I have tried the steriod injection and it did not work. How does this pain go on for? (I have had it for 3 months now). 
  • Posted

Your symptoms are not characteristic of "trochanteric bursitis".
  • Posted

I am on my second bout of trochanteric bursitis. 18 months ago it remained undiagnosed and I was off work for 6 weeks, attending physio eventually with little help. Resting was my only option and I only felt I was back to normal after 9 months. The pain and limp had been so bad that my lower back became very painful also.

A month ago I woke up in terrible pain again like it had the first time. By then I had done some research and thought this might be the diagnosis, and my mum suffering in the same way meant I could discuss the symptoms I had, then saw a doctor at the hospital who confirmed after examining me. 3 days later I had a steroid injection which has, so far, alleviated the pain and made it possible for me to continue working. I have to test a lot. My evenings and weekends are quite boring as I lie down or sit a lot. A trip to the supermarket needs to be efficient so I don't spend to much time walking. The doctor said I could have a steroid injection every 3 months. Because I can't sleep on that side, I have been sleeping on the other but have started to feel some tenderness. Has anyone has trochanter pain on both sides before?

• Posted

Hi I have just bn to see my doctor today and he has told me iv got trochanteric syndrome in both my hips and that there is nothing else that can be done. About two months ago I had a cortesone injection it hasn't worked. It was only my left hip that was painful then when I had the injection my right hip vacate painful too. I am going to try alternative remedies and try not to let it get me down as I cannot do half what I used to and if I do too much I know about it.
    • Posted

Get a good Physio one that REALLY understands all the muscle issues - mine has been caused by weak glutes and I am having to strengthen them whilst trying to live with the pain of the inflammation whcih I am icing and taking turmeric for - I am then hoping to look at lithotripsy as a friend of mine has had enormous relief with three sessions of shocjwave therapy and if it lasts yippee !
    • Posted

My 14 year old daughter has this, she also has been working on weak glutes. She started turmeric about 4 days ago. Have you noticed if it's helped with inflammation? And if your still strengthening your glute muscles has that given you any improvement with pain? She's been in physical therapy for 8 weeks now , she's getting stronger, just need to keep working on her glute muscles. Wondering if you have had good outcome with it. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi ya sorry for late reply back. I have been to a pain management session they have now told me it's something different. I have the bursitis too but it's my back that's the problem. I am waiting for another physio appointment too this time for my back. One doc has said it's degenerative change and another has said it's a femoral nerve impingement so fingers crossed with physio i will know what it is soon. Thank you for your advice
    • Posted

I've been diagnosed with left trochanteric burisits. But I found out that the real problem why all my muscles on the legs and bum was tensed was because of balance. Have you chacked with a dentist about dental malocclusion? I knownthis sounds strange but that is also hereditary like mine. I am treating mine and only on my first treatment, but now I could already walk longer hours pain free. My mom and sister has it too.
    • Posted

Hi there,

I've been told so many things that it might be. I came out of abdominal surgery 6 months ago, with a numb, burning upper left thigh, sore left hip and just generally everything on that side off. Haven't been able to sleep on that side since. I've had to favor that side because the front part of the leg also feels tight and I have trouble putting pants on or bringing up my thigh towards me. Anyway, my hip and my thigh hurt so bad, knee is now numb too, parts of calf,and I've been told femoral nerve damage, or from my spine, or bursitis. All I know is that I am in pain every day, and I can't take this. Just getting worse and worse. MRI of spine shows a lot of possible reasons. They want to try nerve blocks to see if they can figure out the source, but then it might be the hip, or both, or who knows. Have you found answers and help since you posted?

• Posted

It is possible, but unusual, to have "trochanteric bursitis" (see my earlier posts) on both left and right. But this is sufficiently unusual to justify re-visiting the diagnosis. Has rheumatoid arthritis been considered?
  • Posted

Hello, I have had bursts in my left hip for3 years i have had 3 steriod injections in one year to a degree helpful but still have degree of discomfort. Have also developed bursitis in right hip had one injection last Dec helpful for a while but not cured. I have a long term diagnosis of poly myalgia rheumatic and am told the bursitis goes hand in glove with this condition.

Am advised by Gp not to cross legs when sitting down.

I am afraid it seems something we have to live with.

• Posted

I agree the pain is horrendous - walking so badly, crawling up the stairs because of the pain, made other muscles tight and painful - worst of all none of my GP's or physios knew what was up - not even when my hip was hot, swollen and even more painful. 2 years it took to find someone who hit the nail on the head.... my son a Manchester medical student - thank the lord they do a lot of hands on and GP stuff right from the start, he had it in a stroke ! Then I had to go to the Dr. and "suggest" this may be the cause of this debilitating condition. Some consultants think that the steroid injections are unnecesary and that physio is the only answer.Thats ok if you've not been years at it.  However, if you like me now, have muscles so tight and a very painful hip to boot. I think you need that injection to help you get a little pain free, calm down the inflamation that in turn will  help with the exercise regeme. I have two painful hips. Good Luck Marilyn from Marilyn !

Now I know what it is and how common, I feel very let down that no one could diagnose the problem.

• Posted

"Hot and red" are not features of the "trochanteric syndrome".

Do you have rheumatoid arthritis?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.