Trochanteric Bursitis

Posted , 29 users are following.

I am shortly due to have my third steriod injection within 12 months for this condition.  The first one worked for about 6 months but unfortunately the second one didn't, so my consultant is doing it again in two weeks time.  He seems a bit vague as to alternative treatments for this condition and has ruled out surgery claiming it has little effect.  I am not inclined to have steroid injections for the rest of my life and wondeer if anyone else has had alternative effective treatment?  I am a reasonably fit 63 year old, or at least I was before this condition set it and must admit to the pain getting me down at times.

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been to see a REALLY good Physiotherapist who has explained exactly whats going on and given me exercises which are actually beginning to work..soI am hoping to escape any more injections.
    • Posted

thanks for the comment - I think having read more and more - it has to be the way forward.

Thanks all the best 

• Posted

Can you share your excercises that are working, so that we can all benefit? Are you completely healed now? Thanks so much for sharing, you give us all hope for recovery.

• Posted

I can add to this one 2 years being treated for trochanteric bursitis to no effect so at last MRI done and results show tendonopathy of the hamstring at the site where it joins your bottom! well at least I've a diagnosis !  now the long haul to see if we can loosen the Gluts, all round the hip and bottom and break down the scare tissue, in the hamstring, so 2 years 7 months on and still in pain can't walk any great distance, loosing power on the side of the problems. Frustated annoyed and fed up  anyone else heard of this ?
    • Posted

I know just how you feel Lesley. I feel cheated of the past 2-3 years. I'm no chick but I've "stuff " to do and I hate going on but....... It''s awful.

I'm trying cycling but the challenge is getting my leg through coz everything is now so tight and as you say most likely  scared.

My cycle shop here in Malvern - the lady there says she had the same but not for too long and it was cycling got her going again. I think exercise regeme first, cycling seond. All the best 

• Posted

my physio in Exeter so not ridiculously far for you but you would get a good one via Spire Bristol I would think ? x
  • Posted

If anyone wants the name of my Physio please message me x
  • Posted

I have been diagnosed with Trochantic Bursitis by my Doc yesterday. Pain on the outer thigh when walking - making my knee and foot hurt now because I am walking oddly. In some sitting positions (like driving) the pain goes down the outer leg and grips me round the knee like a vice. Sometimes the pain seems to include my buttock too.

I walk dogs for a living, so have to keep going.

Pain is getting me down now though.

• Posted

Have you tried asking your dentist if you have dental malocclusion? Have physical therapies and specific exercises for bursitis, but also treat the source. I once was treated with a flat foot as the source, but is wasn't. My bursitis from muscles tensed was from dental malocclusion. My teeth are fine. My bite was not aligned. That simple thing gave me pain for years! Have yours checked. It's something new and being explored in the dental industry. Not all dentists are trained btw. So ask around.
    • Posted

Btw, I was also diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis. Hips and jaws? I know! Not related!! But I am now pain free and so I'm spreading my blessings.
  • Posted

Hello Marilyn

I sympathise with you so much as I have this horrible condition in my left hip .  I have had it since 2010 and have had four cortisone injections, the last one being 10 days ago.  It is a condition that just seems to keep coming back.  My cortisone shots have worked for me, although this last one is taking its time as I am still in pain.  I am your age and like you have always been fit until this happened.  I've done quite a lot of research on this and have. One to the conclusion that exercises (and a lot of them) are the only thing which can keep this at bay.  I have had physio, ultrasound, acupuncture etc, but have now come to the conclusion that an hours exercise a day is the way forward.  Once I am free from pain I intend to start this.  The exercises are ones which are recommended for this complaint.  Let me know what you think.

• Posted

Have you a regime of exercises you can share please ? Thanks x
    • Posted

Not got any exercises yet, as the physio/trainer will not start them until I am pain free.  When I get them I will share.
    • Posted

I'm almost like your case. Went to so many doctors andbhad steroid injections. After many years it is still my burden.. but I have found out that without curing the source, it would always come back. The source of why our muscles are stiff is because of balance. And to find balance, our body must be aligned. Apparently many of us have dental mallocclusion. If you've seen doctors of all types, try asking dentists about this too..Pls read my comment as I explain it deeper there. It's the latest one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.