Trochanteric Bursitis

Posted , 29 users are following.

I am shortly due to have my third steriod injection within 12 months for this condition.  The first one worked for about 6 months but unfortunately the second one didn't, so my consultant is doing it again in two weeks time.  He seems a bit vague as to alternative treatments for this condition and has ruled out surgery claiming it has little effect.  I am not inclined to have steroid injections for the rest of my life and wondeer if anyone else has had alternative effective treatment?  I am a reasonably fit 63 year old, or at least I was before this condition set it and must admit to the pain getting me down at times.

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Marilyn

Have now started exercises. Doing two at the moment.  One called THE CLAM and one called LOWER AND LIFT.  Both these are PILATES exercises.  Doing them cautiously at the moment, and no discernible improvement yet.  I will keep you informed.  Let me know if you have discovered anything yourself which might make a difference.  

• Posted

Have you considered extracorporeal shockwave therapy ?
    • Posted

Extracorporeal shockwave treatment is specifically designed for the treatment of kidney stones. It is not without consequences and can produce much bleeding into the tissues.

My impression is that this is a maverick suggestion made without proof of benefit.

• Posted

I have a friend that is apparently enjoying a pain free period ( one month and counting) following 3 treatments - I understand it has been approved by NICE for greater trochanteric pain syndrome and her insurers have funded it - I have been contemplating trying it myself as the whole thing seems desperate otherwise ...I am going to see the Dr ( a hip expert according to the hospital) as soon as I can to discuss options - I understand it is already acknowledged as a treatment for plantar fasciatis(?) and shoulder bursitis in addition to kidney stones.....is this not so ? Thanks
  • Posted

I sympathise with your suffering which seems similar to my condition except I was not offered more than one session of steroids doctors seem to discourage me to have more steroids. I DONT KNOW WHY doctors are so vague about diagnosis and treatment,they just keep prescribing pain killers which are not very effective. I know I have deteriorating arthiritis on the left hip where the HIP BURSITIS began 10months ago. I have an app.with the consultant orthopaedic surgeon on1st April, who will hopefully tell me if the two diagnosis of ARTHRITIS.andHIP BURSITIS are related and would a THT stop all the excruciating pain, or if not, how he will deal with the HIP BURSITIS to cure the pain.  Good look Marilyn with your search for answers. I will let you know of my own progress in due course.
  • Posted

hi yes i have had same thing for three years still cant do much  yes it does get me down cant wear my heels anymore because of this
    • Posted

Pls read my recent comment. It is the long one after yours. I hope it helps.
  • Posted

A solution I found which many might disagree. But I still want to share this because I believe it may help many people. I've had this and had a steroid injection a few years back. They first treated me with physical therapies and exercises. I almost had an operation too. Could barely walk long distances, and choosing the right pair of shoes was almost impossible. It's a tough life. Those of you reading this, I'm with you on this burden.. With all the doctors I've talked to from different fields, I never really got healed. I already had a baby, and that stage was so hard. My hips adjusting and all that.

Recently, I stumbled upon the solution. (I cried actually)

A specialized dentist (Not all dentists are trained with this. Very few are.) explained to me that my jaws weren't aligned as it should be. (What!? Jaws and hip bursitis??!!) Yes. Like a car not aligned, the whole car would break.

Our jaw, apparently, is so strong that when it is not aligned with the skull, the muscles connected to it pulls a lot of other muscles. We clench our jaws most of the times to close our mouth.

It is why it was so hard for me to keep my balance or stand still for a few minutes.

And because the skull isn't straight, there is no balance of the body. The legs find it hard to balance which makes some muscles work hard and the others lessharder. Does it make sense?

(BTW, This is the first time I am writing about this. And I guess this angle hasn't been looked into because of the obscurity of it.)

A few days ago I got my bite corrector. There's no one size fits all. A dentist has to do it. It's like a hard plastic glass that perfectly fits your lower jaw and it is curved in a way that when I bite, my teeth are both centered. You would know by checking your mouth when you bite, lift your upper lip and pull down your lower lip. You see at the middle inside, the skin connected from the lips and the gums? They should be aligned. And I had my first treatment too. The treatment is to relax the muscles from my jaw down to my shoulders. I have to warn you that it is painful. Like a professional painful massage, but to the jaw, gums, neck, head and shoulders.. on a dental chair! But straight after, I felt something I've been longing to feel for a very long time. Freedom!

After 1 session (9 more to go!) I FELT NO PAIN WHILE WALKING FOR A LONG TIME. We went to the mall and I didn't ask my husband to slow down or stop or anything. I felt balanced. I felt stronger. It's not totally gone yet, but an improvement like this from the first session? I'm excited to finish it. I don't mind wearing braces if needed. I would choose that over not being able to walk in a heart beat!

Don't be surprised many dentists wouldn't agree or know about this connection. Nor would some doctors agree on me. But what I am experiencing now... I just had to share this and spread the word.

I am not saying that it would work for all. But maybe this could help. It won't hurt to try to look into it.

I believe that because our muscles would still get stiff, all the injections and therapies is temporary. Therapies + treating the dental occlusion was my key.

Don't loose hope on finding a dentist who does it. My dentist told me it is something new that is being looked into. And not all dentists are the same.

Good luck on finding your solution. Don't loose hope.

• Posted

This discussion just made me realise that my problem is actually gluteal tendonopathy or enthesopathy, not just Trochanteric bursitis. I'm actually surprised not to hear more people saying this since its apparently a very common cause of this hip pain and is often misdiagnosed as TB.

• Posted

Hi, I've just seen your thread on here. I was disgnosed with this about 12 years ago, as I was unable to sit for long periods, I also had a fascia iolata muscle problem severely restricting range of movement, had to give up horse riding as the muscle stretch on the hip was too painful. Can't say I've really had a problem walking or running-played golf, tennis and swam almost daily, with not much pain. I was told the bursitis was something I'd have to live with. I had 2 steroid inj, mainly for the fascia iolata problem the first of which left me pain free for 5 years, when that wore off, the second inj had no effect. I saw a fab surgeon at my local hospital who performed Fascia iolata release which was like a miracle cure for me-I was pain free (after the post op recovery) for 6 years!! But gradually the bursa and the fascia iolata have got more & more painful. Been back for another steroid inj (done whilst having an xray to try & hit the right spot) but it's not made a difference. Am now booked in for 5 weekly sessions of Lithotripsy - usually used to treat gall stones - my first is end of Jan 2017. I'll keep you posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.