Trouble diagnosing, maybe a blood disorder?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm an 18 year old female and for 2 years I have been having health problems. It started out with a skin rash (looks like normal flat skin, just red), and slowly it started spreading all over my body. Over these two years I also developed other symptoms: unexplained and sudden weight loss (7kg), hair loss, breathlessness episodes (sometimes after coughing or sneezing), cough, enlarged lymph nodes in the neck and groin, fatigue, low fever, frequent chills. In the blood tests throughout these two years the eosinophils level is always elevated. Tests ruled out parasites. I have been to many doctors and have ruled out autoimmune diseases, rheumatic diseases, heart disorders, endocrine disorders, infectious diseases. So now I do not know what to do and I am waiting for an appointment with my doctor who spoke about the possibility of this being a haematological disorder. I just wanted to know any of you had these symptoms too and turned out to have a blood disorder? 

Thank you

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Is my lymph node swollen if it is visible when i tilt my head to the side? It's normal on the other side, but when tilting my head to the left side, there is a clearly visible lymph node.

• Posted

When do you go back to gp? I have too swollen lymph nodes under jaw and on neck, I had an ultrasound and they were enlarged but my gp said no to biopsy. I still feel like they are missing something big!!
    • Posted

I am going to the GP on thursday, hopefully I will get a referral to a hematologist, as I haven't even seen one yet... I have swollen lymph nodes in my neck and groin too, but haven't had any scans or ultrasounds. I too don't really trust doctors anymore because of the fact that this has been going on so so long and they still don't know what is wrong with me, telling me ridiculous things like "you're probably just growing up" ....

• Posted

I am 45. Where are you from? I am from Italy and live in the States. You are too young to be feeling this way keep on investigating . I had a major nerve breakdown this winter and so every single doctor thinks I suffer from anxiety! I would like to see them in my situation not knowing what is going on and feeling like c..p daily!!let me know how your blood test goes on Thursday.
    • Posted

I will, sure! I'm 19 in october. Living in UK. It is quite frustrating, true, not knowing what's wrong when obviously something IS wrong... 

• Posted

They will do several peripheral blood test to check for whats known as blast (immature blood cells) in the blood. They will also do CBC blood test to monitor your blood counts. These are test used as first test to check for pre leukemia or MDS(myelodysplastic syndrome). Then if they feel that something more needs to be checked they would ask for a BMB(Bone Marrow Biopsy) where they go into your hip and first pull Blood (aspirate) then a core of your Bone Marrow. These are sent off to labs for further testing. This rash you speak of could be whats called  petechia or small hemorrhages under the skin that look like freckle bruises , caused by low platelet counts. However all this would have shown up in CBC blood test and would be easily seen by hematologist. There are several different types of MDS and leukemias and each causes different symptoms and has different effects on your body. Please give me an update on your current status.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.