Trouble swallowing

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi everyone hope you can help me.

I have had for a few months the feeling that something is stuck in my throat and it won't go down . I have gone to the GP ( 2 of them), to be told it could be silent reflux/ post Nasal drip/ anxiety /sinisus and menopause.

I have had s endoscope 2 years ago and only reflux and a H / hernia.

I'm starting to stress out what can this be. I also experience at times heavy chest. Dry mouth also.

Has anyone had this please let me know and what you did for it.

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I've had this problem and also had a endoscopy done and everything came back ok. I believe it's hormones from perimenopause or menopause. It was really bad at one time but it only happens once in a blue moon now. I hope it gets better for you.

• Edited

Wow it is like you are describing me!! I get all this plus a neck pain, I just made an appountment with my PCP but have it mid october I will let you know...sorry but I feel relieved that I am not the only one with these symptoms
    • Posted

Hello LM

When you say 'neck pain' what is your pain like?  It is at the front or rear of your neck.  Do you get pains in your throat at all?

Thanks

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan, it's more like a strained ligament in the rear left side of my neck my throat doesn't hurt but I feel a lump in my throat I can't see it or touch it but I feel it most days, sometimes it goes away but everytime mu neck gets tight I feel ir again...

• Posted

Thanks LM, I have a lot of throat troubles and have developed an adams apple as well that no doc can explain why ... it's cracking me up ... really worrying.  Just hoping it's hormonal ... :-( ... the investiagations continue :-(

• Edited

I have this issue since June and is driving me crazy!! At first it was not constant but lately I feel it all the time, will see what the dr. Says... the pain in the neck doesn't go away at all 😭

• Edited

I have the same thing!   The worst symptom I have is digestive issues.  Bloating, cramping, diarrhea, constipation and nausea.  My Gyno told me that diarrhea is not a symptom of periomenopause.   Of course I jump to the worst case scenario and think I am dying of cancer.  I feel miserable and my anxiety is over the top.  Anyone else experience digestive issues like this?   Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    • Posted

HI LM. I am not sure if you are still on here but i have been researching everywhere for what is going on with my throat and swallowing. You described it perfectly in your post. you mentioned you were going to the doctor. how are you doing? did it get better?

• Posted

Hi -

If your still out there you've described me with your throat swallowing issues. I've been to to ENT/ Otolayngologist. No answers. If you found a doctor please share with me> How are you doing? I've been told acid reflux/silent. Digestive issues. I've had gi testing. Shows nothing. Small hernia This all came on 9 months ago. I'm post menopausal. I don't know if that contributing,

• Edited

hi. for me, i believe it was LPR. (a type of reflux) had to change my diet a little, not eat too close to bedtime, and stop thinking about it 24/7. once it settled down, i was able to eat some things i had cut out. i recently noticed it was coming back and i changed diet and behavior again and it got better. the Acid Watchers diet is a good book about it. you can find it cheap online

• Edited

Hi Sue, are you still having problems? It can be a symptom. I had bloating for months along with many other symptoms.

it has been awful. I'm currently having problems with my ears, sinus, neck and bladder. I currently take a low does antidepressant. Like you I was being told things were not symptoms!!! Then what was all this. Do your own research. I started worrying that something was wrong with me. Ladies please don't go down that path. Exercise, eat well and take a multivitamin to start.

I wish everyone well!

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

I think it is. I have it too. its been awful. I am using a nasal spray and sinus nose rinse. It is helping some with the ear pain and swallowing issue. I've been to ENT twice no answers. its as if you fall out of the normal side effects from peri or menopause, you can't get help. Do you have any other symptoms?

I Wish You All The Best!

• Posted

I've got that for 3 weeks now and one strange thing is about 19pm all symptoms become easier and then again afternoon is the worst. Back pain is better now at night. Today is not bad. My throat is ok but still something is in my chest but not so bad as yesterday. Cracking ears, floaters in my eyes.

• Posted

I was informed it is stress and anxiety before we are protecting our stomaches for the flight or fight.I had it for about three to four weeks 
    • Posted

I been told that but I feel calm. It's stressing me out. Thank you for your reply it's been very helpful. 😊

• Posted

I thought i was calm as well my love stress brings on all sorts of things we cant even imagine I have now been tightning my jaw for weeks i thought i was over the majority of the stress but apparently not and its something i have never done in my life x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.