Trouble swallowing

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi everyone hope you can help me.

I have had for a few months the feeling that something is stuck in my throat and it won't go down . I have gone to the GP ( 2 of them), to be told it could be silent reflux/ post Nasal drip/ anxiety /sinisus and menopause.

I have had s endoscope 2 years ago and only reflux and a H / hernia.

I'm starting to stress out what can this be. I also experience at times heavy chest. Dry mouth also.

Has anyone had this please let me know and what you did for it.

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

rosedee me too always think either something stuck or something left in my throat I got diary mouth and dry tongue

sometimes don't know what to think but so far still breathing.

• Posted

Hormones or anxiety... it feels awful 2 days ago I really thought I was having a heart attack or something, I have been trough a lot of stress lately and it seems that since peri I dont handle stress like before, I have good days and bad days like everybody here... hot flushes seem to be better since I am taking phytoestrogens and a multivitamin, also digestive issues are better, but all the symptoms that rosedee dedcribed are really bothering me...hughs to everyone!
    • Posted

I've got the same. Feeling better now. Good to know that you are not dying 😢

• Edited

Hi all

Wow, that is what I have had for about 6 weeks. I was really stressed out and I have a health anxiety anyway. One morning I got up and it felt like I had a lump in my throat, it comes and goes during the day and when I eat it goes off. Some days it doesn't feel like a lump it feels like my neck muscles are tight. It's really weird. When I mentioned it my mum she said she had it about my age (40) and when for the camera and there was nothing. Apparently it's hormonal, stress and anxiety!!! It doesn't help my health anxiety at all. Just another symptom to add to the list .

• Posted

Just researching this as I keep having very strange sensations in my neck , wondered if it could be a strain from sit ups etc but I don’t think so . Sometimes it feels like someone has tried to strangle me then it will disappear!! but comes back just as quick . Also feel like my throat is closing up .  Does this sound familiar?
    • Posted

Yes Sharon. It happened to me this morning. Scared the living daylights out of me. It was the first time i felt it. I am so afraid to feel it again. So far from the panic attacks and anxiety i find this one scary. I already have trouble sleeping but God help me tonight. I am so scared by this new symptom. Has yours gone away ?

• Posted

I'm going through this at moment, really feel like something is cutting off my windpipe, which makes me gag and struggle for breath. I'm bringing up a lot of foamy Silvia to. I do suffer with stomach issues since Peri started and this throat thing is adding to my out of control anxiety and acid reflux.

• Edited

rose, I've had this this week.  Chest felt tight first and then severe dry mouth, even though I was well hydrated.  I got some vitamin C high dose 1000mg chewable tablets and the relief was great.   may work for you too.

• Edited

Thanks! My chest is really bad I still take antibiotics just in case. Happy to hear that someone else with me. Going for x-ray tomorrow. Today is not bad, just a bit chest but can breathe, a bit throat ant time to time some rining in my ears, very sweaty. My chest and throat driving me mad for the 3d week.
    • Edited

Was good 2 days ago and last night even? Do I need x ray done. this morning got up fine by 10 o'clock dry mouth and chest with not enough oxygen . All calmed now but feel my back - on the right. Thinking Im having heart attack or lung cancer. So stressed.

• Posted

i've been through all this and still get it, like this week.  I am sure you've been checked for heart and lungs already, so this is just these horrible symptoms. there is no easy way around it and I'm not sure if HRT solves everything.  I havent taken it. I had a chest x-ray, so maybe get one done just to put your mind at ease.  Then up your vitamins.  I was given magnesium powder to take at night which really does calm down everything.

• Edited

Hi Rosedee

I have had this feeling for two years about ... it's hell.  I'm 51 in November.  I've also grown an adam's apple - like the front of my neck has got more cartilage there than it ever used to have - it crept up on me gradually over months.  Still no nearer getting an answer.  Seen three docs over this period.  loads bloods done.  upper gi done cos iron was low and also cause i had developed burping, but all fine.  Camera into throat - normal ... getting another one done soon.  CT scan of neck - normal.  other symptoms - tinnitus, right rib pain and bulge.  neck very grindy.  Air hunger.  Just want all this to end ... really at end of tether :-(

• Posted

Hi Susan, just wondering if you are any better? I also get the grinding neck and its awful. Have things improved for you?
  • Edited

Hi Rosedee I have this now and again also it's a very uncomfortable feeling and used to cause my anxiety to go through the roof...now I am able to deal with it better I also had a scope done and nothing showed so it's got to be hormonal or anxiety with me

• Posted

Thank you everyone you advise and stories have helped. Hope you all get better soon. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.