Truly how long is gallbladder surgery recovery and when do the symptoms leave?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Ok so I got my gallbladder removed in august and it's now November and I'm still not feeling good 😣. I feel fullness after I eat and feel sick. Nauseous most of the time. Whenever it goes away I try to eat but its never much as I get full so quick. What is it with this damn fullness/pressure in my stomach?! Do any one of you feel or felt like this? Also I'm not sure how to explain it but I have this weird pain when I press on my abdomen on the right side ish of my belly button. I mean if i had an infection i would know but I see no signs of that. What might be bothering my in my stomach now and what is causing these symptoms if I have no gallbladder? I can't even go to the doctor as I have no insurance currently ugh any help would be great guys.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wish i had'nt read this! Surgery today & this sounds like my worse nightmare!

Hope you find your anzwers - i would go back to surgeon they should include followup complications in their post op care!

• Posted

Hi I've still got symptoms after 5 years, the tenderness when pressing in that area is scar tissue and adhesions according to my doctor. Stay off fatty foods, don't drink alcohol and I swapped dairy for oat based milk. Helped a lot. For several years I just ate uncoated white fish and rice for main meal as it was all I could tolerate. Still have this every other meal. Fat tends to make you feel sick or give dihorria

• Posted

Have you ever tried a daily probiotic? I don't mean to scare you but my first thought with those symptoms is gastroparesis (food moving too slowly through your system). There is a test, but as you said if you don't have insurance then you probably don't want to get tested. Probiotics improve your stomach's gut flora and aids greatly in disgestion. I'm wondering if it might help if you haven't tried it already.

• Posted

I have heard about gastroparesis but how? I have no way of getting that I mean does surgery lead to this? Because seriously would I really have this...
    • Posted

Wouldn't I be throwing up food not processed or in my stool? I don't do that which is why I got the thought of having that out of my head you know? I forgot what that's called. Is it bezoars?

• Posted

Sorry for so many replies omg! Which probiotics do you recommend? Do you happen to take them and do they help? How do your take them anyway? Thank you again!
    • Posted

Oh boy - a bezoar is a scary thing!! It's an accumulation of foreign material in your intestines that causes a blockage (people who chew on their hair types). I highly doubt that's possible!!

There are ways that you can get gastroparesis - but that's typically gastric surgery (which is NOT your gallbladder), narcotic use (I would assume CONSTANT use not just the few pills they gave you for the pain), low magnesium or potassium (you could take a multivitamin to help with that?). I'm not an expert nor a doctor and definitely didn't mean to put anything into your head!!! Sorry sad

Probiotics are incredibly simple. I take them in pill form (you can buy them at a grocery store). There are a TON of different kinds and I take Align (there are cheaper generics as well). There are some that are refrigerated and some people say those work better since the bacteria stays "alive" longer but Align works just fine for me. I buy the ones that are in the "tummy issues" section or whatever you want to call it with the antacids and stool softeners, etc.

After surgery, I would have pressure quickly build up in areas of my upper abdomen and then quickly dissipate and move around in my guts causing gurgling and discomfort. Thankfully I stayed at home during this because the gurlging was SO LOUD I would've been embarassed!! I was having diarrhea right after surgery also so I started taking the probiotic to see what would happen. The gurgling stopped, gas stopped, watery diarrhea stopped (not sure if that was the probiotics or my stomach evening out) but I feel so much better now. It's worth a shot as far as I'm concerned. They definitely will NOT hurt you.

The point of a probiotic is to combat the bad bacteria that is in your system. You have both good bacteria and bad bacteria and the good should always outweigh the bad. At least for my surgery, I know they gave me antibiotics through my IV beforehand. Antibiotics kill BOTH types of bacteria in your gut which could allow the bad bacteria to take over the good. Adding probiotics helps overcome that battle. It can take up to a month to make EVERYTHING go away and I even read on the box that you might get a little worse before getting better (not the case for me and for most - just a warning I'm assuming). If you start to take them, I hope they help as I clearly can't guarantee anything - just suggesting what worked for me.

• Posted

If you are looking for a very solid probiotic, you should check out Multidophilus 24. It has 30 billion active healthy bacteria. 

You might also add L-Glutamine and Psyllium husk into your diet. Glutamine helps repair your intestines and Psyllium Husk is just a good fiber to supplement with.

I am sure I have problems with my gallbladder, still waiting for me to get my HIDA scan (Been waiting for over a month so far), but in the meantime I supplement with a daily probiotic, Husk and Glutamine to aid the diarrhea, and it helps. While stools are still light in color most times, they are more formed and occasionally I have a normal stool. 

So yeah, adding probiotics is a great choice for everybody really. Unless you eat a ton of fermented foods. 

• Posted

Thanks so much for the info! Do you have any other symptoms as well or no?
  • Posted

Well Well desan21,

?DO NOT FEEL ALONE !

?Had my surgery August 2 and what you described I could not add anymore accept still getting the same pains in right quadrant in the back at no certain time.

?I thought all was well after the surgery no so hoping for a true miracle maybe we are expecting to feel good to soon? I will wait for the replies as well.

Truly'

?In the same boat with you

?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Deborah! I'm sorry you're going through the same as me, feels terrible does it sad. So you have the same fullness and nausea as well? That's what bothers me the most honestly. I just want to eat normally again!

• Posted

Hi Deesan -

I had my gallbladder out 6 weeks ago and still had pain and cramping. I went to a Gastroenteroligist and had an endoscopy. There were some other underlying issues that I'm currently dealing with.

The doctor said I had a peptic ulcers, ibs, and a gaping esophageal sphincter... I know this is different than your symptoms, but he did tell me to take fiber every day and miralax as needed. This has helped tremendously the feeling of being full and the nausea I had. I recommend trying this, it would definitely help and is not going to hurt you. I was told it is common that having your gallbladder out doesn't always just cure the pain. I'm wondering if you should see a gastroenteroligist to help get you some answers. Even if you have to wait til you get insurance, you might want to start taking fibre, Miralax and a probiotic .. and don't forget to walk, the more you move around the better you start to digest the food in your stomach. And keep to a low fat diet, avoid dairy if it doesn't make you feel good. I hope this can help you

• Posted

Is the fiber you take miralax? I don't go everyday. Maybe 2-3 times a week, sometimes once a week. But I don't see how this would cause me to feel nauseous and full. I had the same pattern before I was sick and I was fine. Which probiotic do you recommend and how are they take? I know with enzymes you can either take it before food or sprinkle it but I'm not sure if this is possible with those?

• Posted

I had mine removed in July and I still get the fullness feeling to, I get bloated alot and really gassy as well which is painful. I still get shooting pains near my scars at times so I think it takes a while for it all the heal and settle down properly.
    • Posted

Sounds like me sad. I can't seem to eat much as I feel nauseous and full easily. Then I have to relax for like 3-4 hours until I feel better. Seems worse in the night because I guess I get more anxious? I can manage to have breakfast and feel sh*tty for around 2-3 hours which is not so bad but I'm really not sure why I feel worst at night. Are you taking anything like probiotics and digestive enzymes? People seem to recommend those a lot so perhaps we should give them a try!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.