Trying to be rationale......😢

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi,

I am 48 years of age and Iā€™ve suffered from anxiety for the last 8 of those years. I take medication which does help but over the last few months itā€™s rocketed!

About 4 months ago I started having spotting from the time I ovulate until my period started... this lasted 2 months then stopped. Ā My GP did a Pap test, did all my bloods and had an US done... all came back fine. Ā However Iā€™m still beyond stressed.

I visited him last week and he did my bloods again and as I was so stressed and said he would refer my to a gyno... and if I wanted we could get a repeat US at day 3-5 of my cycle as this will be more accurate at assessing the endometrium. Ā Also the gyno he wants me to see isnā€™t available until mid January and thatā€™s totally freaking me out too, Ā however he sent me a text today saying Ā  ā€˜I think your bleeding is hormonal so the review with Dr Smirnova is not needed urgently from my perspective. Ā If you are feeling that you are freaking out it is better that you come in to discuss this with me so I can reassure you that you are safe.ā€™

In my more rational moments I think that Iā€™m not even spotting any more and I have had 3 US in the last 3 years and around 4 Pap test, all were fine... however at the moment my rational moments are few and far between... but surely if there was spotting something isnā€™t right??

Iā€™m trying not to have another US as Iā€™m trying to take control of my irrational thoughts but itā€™s so hard.Ā 

Is anyone else feeling this way too...?

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The anxiety is the worst of this process.  I have suffered from generalized anxiety and OCD for years.  It ebbs and flows.  Until Pero,  I was able to handle it with Paxil (for the most part, a low maintenance dose) and Ativan with success.  This year, however, has been hell.  I just turned 50 in April.  Upped my Paxil to 40 mg and have been on it for about 6 months.  Started seeing a fantastic therapist in September, which was a turning point.  It is really important to "click" with your therapist....and it was a blessing that I found him. I am learning CBT techniques and have done "talk therapy".   And am also doing meditation (via Headspace), which is essential.  I can now go weeks and feel pretty decent.  But it is still a struggle.  If I have a bad day (as I am today), I tell myself that I will see the blue sky again soon.  Hang in there.  You are not alone.  Things will eventually pass.  xo.

• Posted

I tried therapy but didnā€™t quite connect with my therapist and I think that was the problem... my doctor really believes in the power of therapy and constantly tries to convince me to try it..... I actually wish there was a self help group where I can go along and talk to people like me, only they( I believe) can truly understand the constant state of anxiety we exist within, thank god for this forum or Ā I truly believe Iā€™d lose my mind some days.
    • Posted

Try another therapist.    I do know what your saying but it does help. I go to a therapist that I see when I feel I need too.  Also you may want to try an on-line site to meet others like yourself.   I met a friend on there and we get together to talk-- it also helps because she often gives me a different way to look at it.  Sometimes I'm like 'OK' and then other times it doesn't help.  I've also been to other meet-ups from the site.

• Posted

Try 'meetup'-- at the dot com and maybe you can find an 'outing' that suites you.

• Posted

Like the other ladies said, finding others with similar issues helps immensely. Ā Just knowing that you are not alone is key! Ā If you want my ā€œbibleā€ for OCD, I can give you the title. Ā It is a life saving book. Ā I still struggle, however this book (along with therapy and meditation ) has helped. Ā Xo
    • Posted

Hi Amalie, I also have anxiety and ocd worse now that I'm in peri/meno, I was wondering if you could send me the title to your anxiety ocd bible please.. If you can't say it on this site,can you send it to me in a private message?? Thank you?

• Posted

Overcoming Unwanted Intrusive Thoughts:  A CBT Based Guide to getting over frightening, obsessive, or disturbing thoughts.  By Sally M. Winston and Martin N. Seif.  I purchased this via Amazon.  When times are "sticky" (remember, these thoughts ebb and flow), I run to this book!!! 

• Posted

Hi,

Iā€™m peri and Iā€™ve had anxiety issues for around the last ten years. Ā But over the last few months this anxiety has really increased, for no apparent reason.

I have to remind myself that itā€™s hormones, but it really does freak me out at times. Itā€™s one of the worst symptoms for me.Ā 

Im really glad of this thread, hoping to find some easy tips for dealing with it.

• Posted

Hi,

Iā€™m totally the same, anxiety thatā€™s as manageable for years, then the last few months bang... horrific anxiety!

I think for me it all started with the mid cycle spotting, that freaked me out... everything was checked but still I was sure they had missed something... this period has been non existent just very, very light spotting...itā€™s all so very stressful...😢

• Posted

Hi Alice i too am experiencing anxiety and i am going for a USS next week as for the last few months i have been experiencing strange sharp pains in different locations over my abdomen. I too am becoming irrational and it is hard to keep calm. I have started my period today, this is early again just over 3 weeks since my last one which now seems to be my normal routine. This morning i was getting sharp pains just under my belly button a couple of days ago the sharp pains were on the lower left side of my abdomen and now the sharp pains which last a second or two are on my right side. I worried and thinking there must be something wrong inside as this happened last month but never before. Anyone else have same or similar pains? I am not having bleeding or spotting in between.
    • Posted

Hi,

I was having similar pains too, and had an US, everything was fine... I think itā€™s just yet another ā€˜symptonā€™ of this in going saga... Iā€™ve now had 3 US in the last 4 years and everything has looked fine... everyday I wake with something new to stress about!

My latest, after always having regular periods is that this one has literally been non existent... very, very light spotting... if anyone else posted about this Iā€™d tell them itā€™s just hormonal but when itā€™s me I canā€™t Ā seem to have such rational thoughts.

Keep strong! Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.