Trying Tryptophan

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. So I read online that using Tryptophan will help with the zaps. I dont know if anyone has tried this but beware if you do. It takes about 5 days to work this stuff into your system. Just wished those horrible zaps would go away. Its almost 8 weeks that I have been off Ven and hopefully will start feeling better soon. What a crazy friggin ride!!!!!!!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Its generally not recommended that you take tryptophan ot 5htp with an anti depressant, as anti depressants stop the reuptake of serotonin, and taking tryptophan will increase production of seratonin, leading to too high levels of seratonin. Taken with an anti depressant, Its likely to increase side effects, and can be potentially dangerous.
  • Posted

I once took 5htp while taking a high dose of seroxat, and experienced a long lasting panic attack. Id not had a panic attack in years before, and havent had one since. Id never take tryptophan or 5htp with an anti depressant again.

• Posted

Hi Nigel. Tks for the tips. I took my last Venlafaxine pill (37.5) on the 11th of june. Not too sure how that will intefere with the Tryptophan. The person at the Herb store thought I would be ok to take it.  I was told I would have side effects for five days or so
    • Posted

Sorry, thought you were taking both. Taking tryptophan and 5htp are fine to take if you arent tsking an anti depressant. Sorry.
    • Posted

My mistake, missed the part about you being off ven. Good luck with it.
  • Posted

Really sorry, tryptophan and 5htp are very good alternatives to anti depressants. After a a few days of stopping an anti depressant will be fine, so you will have no issues taking it. Please let me know how you get on with it.
    • Posted

Hi Nigel. I spoke to a pharmacist last nite and she suggested I not take it. Something about it being recalled in the early 90’s. F you google it its all there.  Somewhat torn between taking and not taking it as I’m having issues with insomnie and I know this will help. Oh well. Enjoy your day. 
    • Posted

I remember the 90s thing. Think it was from dodgy manufacturing in japan. Tryptofan now should be fine. If you are still concerned, then try 5htp instead. Tryptophan is broken down into 5htp in the body, which is then used to make serotonin in the body. 5htp is more commonly taken now, than tryptophan, as its one stage further refined, for the body to use for making seratonin. Id say carry on, its a good alternative, as long as you dont take it same time as an anti depressant. Even better, used 5htp.
    • Posted

It must work on increasing seratonin, as there are always warnings about not taking it with an anti depressant, as you end up with too much seratonin, from using both at the same time.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info Nigel. I will start using it again tonite. Sure am having a miserable day here!!!!!!!  Need all the help I can get. Enjoy your day. 
    • Posted

Nigel. So I spoke to my sister in law regarding Tryptophan and she sells the stuff. Perfectly ok to take it she says. Takes about 5 days to work in the system. She also says pharmacists know little or nothing about natural products. Theres Tryp in turkeys for god sakes. So I will take a pill tonite. A little scary with what Philip was saying-having zaps for 9 years plus. Hope that doesnt happen to me. Dam Effexor. 
    • Posted

The thing in the 90s was bad, i remember, as i was taking it as s supplement for body building at the time. I think people died and were disabled from the dodgy manufacturer. Its hard to qauntify benefit of tryp and 5htp, but it must be reasonably good, to recommend you not take it with anti depressants, where you end up with too much seratonin, and are in danger of getting seratonin syndrom. Definately carry on with it.
    • Posted

Nigel. I am gonna continue taking it starting tonite. As I said it may help with the insomnia also. Sure hope it helps. So friggin tired from lack of sleep. Tried meditating when I wake up at 4 am. Sometimes it helps but most days it doesnt. Enjoy your evening. 
    • Posted

When you meditate, try concentrating on looking at the inside of your eyes and think of ansolutely nothing. Also, think of nothing, and just look at the inside of yiur eyes, and visualise where your eye lids meet, and your eye lashes point out. That works for me.
    • Posted

Will try that the next time Nigel. Thanks a bunch. Hopefully its not tonite. I sure do feel crappy the next day after a crappy sleep. 
    • Posted

Hey Nigel. Can you explain what it would feel like to be low on seratonin. Trying to find something online ref this. Had a pretty crappy day as my head feels like its been hit by a truck. Felt great 2 days ago but that changed and i felt like crap today also. Have a good one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.