Trying Tryptophan

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. So I read online that using Tryptophan will help with the zaps. I dont know if anyone has tried this but beware if you do. It takes about 5 days to work this stuff into your system. Just wished those horrible zaps would go away. Its almost 8 weeks that I have been off Ven and hopefully will start feeling better soon. What a crazy friggin ride!!!!!!!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, John,

I came off Venlafaxine as far back as 2004 (June) and I guess it was at least 8 or 9 years those 'zaps' kept hitting me. I used to describe it to my doctor as an electric charge that flew right the way around my head, just under the scalp, but no doctor ever felt able to take me seriously, though the sensation might happen 4 or 5 times a day or night.Well, now, 14 years later this is the first I've heard of a drug to reduce that side effect, but at least for me, it now only happens less than 10 times a year.

Just something to bear in mind. Best of luck,

Philip

• Posted

Hi Philip. Thanks for the info. Thats a very ling time to experience thise zaps. Man oh man. What a horrible feeling. Its weird cause one day I feel great and the next i feel real crappy. And the other side effects dont help either. Have a great day. 
  • Posted

The issue with tryptophan in the 90s was isolated to a company who were genetically engineering bacteria to produce higher levels of tryptophan in their product. I remember reading this when I was studying nutrition! Definitely ok to take now and in theory should help with the brain zaps as they raise your serotonin levels. Just beware that even supplements and herbs can have their own side effects too! I've read that taking a high dose of good quality omegas help with head zaps too but I haven't tried this myself x

• Posted

Hi Rhubarb. I bought this stuff called Life Choice L-tryptophan 220 mg’s plus 50 mg’s of vitamin B-6. I read quite a bit about it and the reviews are great. I’m also told it takes about 5 days to enjoy the benefits of this stuff. Monday will be 8 weeks since I quit taking Ven and i’m hoping this stuff along with everything else I take (vitamins and exercise) will help get rid of the zaps for good. Dr told me 4-6 weeks. I just want to feel normal again!!!!  (Normal????  What is that????  Lol) I’m told these take about 5 days to work.  Anyhow, thanks for the info and please enjoy your evening........
    • Posted

I just noticed that I wrote it takes 5 days to work. Duh on me!!!!!!  Shud proofread what I write......
    • Posted

Fingers crossed for you John smile

Someone called me normal once, I was highly offended! Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.