Tsh levels of 5.6

Posted , 8 users are following.

So about a little over A month ago I started to slow to get panic attacks, anxiety over everything, feeling low, bloated, minor headaches, and being tired. I also lost appetite which made everything worse. It was so hard to get out of bed most days and now that I think of it, I dont know how I even managed to out of bed.

I am 27, male, very active: i play soccer 3 times a week ans i used to lift heavy weights 4 times a week. I was bulking and all but I lost about 8lbs in 7 days, i thought and still think it was because of not eating. Anyways, i went to a doctor 2 weeks later and had my blood drawn. The doc said my vitamin D was low(25ng/mL) and my TSH was 5.6 and she said this was normal. This doesnt seem right to me because I really thought and still do think that I have a thyroid problem since I did a lot of research and matched almost all of the symptoms.

Here is the good news. My anxiety is almost all gone, i still feel fatigue but not near how I felt intially. And I havent even used medicine. I only ate more food. I am still losing weight and I get sad some days for a while then it goes away but when it goes away, I dont feel great either. I feel okay.

My question is does a 5.6 tsh constitute a hypthyroidism?

Is it possible for hypo to show up then suddenly disappear?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Ahmed:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Normal TSH is  0.45 to 4.50 and on the higher end of the scale means HYPOTHYROID, or not enough hormone.  Lower end is Hyper or too much.

They are opposite of each other.   The TSH is always in flux and can go up and down in a given 24 hour period of time.  If it stays above 4.50 they should do some extra blood work to check all the hormone levels.  This includes T3, T4, FT4 and FT3 and TPOA & TGab antibodies tests, and RBC count, B12 and B1 levels. Some doctors will refer you to an Endocrinologist who knows the thyroid.

Hypothyroidism can be from infections that bother the thyroid or a family trait.  Some people can have what is called Thyroiditis and can go away but most of us can have it for life. It tends to happen more to women during pregnancy.  Also our enviroment can cause problems with tainted water or chemicals used in foods or processed foods, or the way they spray the vegetables in the fields.  Always wash fresh veggies, etc..

You can do a lot to help your body.  Eat good non gluten foods and exercise, and avoid alcohol and any bad lifestyle choices.  Gluten bothers our thyroid gland and joints in our body.

If you have a family history of thyroid disease, it can come out in people during ages 20 to 45 and even skip a generation.  You should ask your family if anyone has thyroid problems and of course let the doctor know if you do.

Symptoms of Hypo are: feeling  tired, sleepy, brain foggy, weight gain, bruising, low  body temp and low heart rate, constipation, muscle aches, and in women no periods or infrequent ones.  Also low vit D has been associated with Hypo.  As we age we also can not make Vit D but it usually is over age 30.

Symptoms of HYPER or too much are: Nervousness, high heart rate, anxious, losing weight for no reason, insomnia, sweating, palpitations, jittery feelings, thyroid eye problems. 

Some people can swing back and forth bewteen HYPO and HYPER. Some people can have some symptoms of both sides of this disease.

So 5.6 is higher than 4.50 but I have seen people be much higher.  Hypo should be addressed by your doctor and some doctor's like to have 2 abnormal results in a 6 month period of time.   So you may ask that they retest your blood in 3 or 4 months.

Also many doctors will give you a low dose of Levothyroxine 25mcg as a trial and see if you feel better.  You may want to ask your MD for this.

I hope this helps you, any questions just ask,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.