TUIP

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I am interested in the TUIP for prostate rather than TURP

Does anybody know what hospitals in the UK carry this out?

Thanks

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why TUIP? Have you looked into some of the newer TURP alternatives such as Rezum, Urolift and the newer Aquablation? The latter promising but still very early to tell.

Jim

• Posted

Thanks Jim

I am just trying to look at all options at the moment

Anthony

• Posted

Hello Anthony. I have the same question that Jim is asking.  Why a TUIP.  They may not cut anything out but you could still have the some side effect as a TURP.  There are so many procedure out there to pick from  How big is your prostate.  Did you have any other test.  I looked on the internet and the only place I found was The Princess Grace Hospital.  It is part of the HCA Heathcare.  There are some men on here from the UK Maybe they will give you some information  Good luck  Ken Orlando Fl   
    • Posted

Thanks Ken

To answer you and JimJames --- trying to avoid the main side effects of TURP

The TUIP looked a better option that way. I know it's just a better probability? Just trying to get a bit more info at the moment

Anthony

• Posted

That is good that you are getting as much information as you can.  I read up on the Tuip procedure.  One of the articles said that you will get retro and has the same chance of any of the other side effect as a Turp.  What about trying a Urolift first.  If your bladder is ok let them pull the prostate about.  That would relieve the bladder neck and there are no side effects and your good to go in 2 to 4 weeks.  Mine is over 3 years.  Good luck to you  Ken
    • Posted

Anthony, I understand you are trying to avoid the side effects of TURP, but my point is that there a newer procedures out there now that can also potentially avoid the side effects of TURP. Rezum and Urolift are two examples. Have you looked into them?

Jim

• Posted

Hi there, i had a Tuip in 2015 at The Royal North Devon Hospital.......all well and good ( i had a blockage at the neck of the bladder) giving me a big UTI!!, the consultant offered me 2 options....1= an operation rather like a rupture op...going in from the groin area  and investigating, or 2= what amounts to a TURP......( thru the prostate and clear the bladder)  in fact, and i have quoted this on this forum..." you will get a TURP for free in effect!!" At the time i was not on this forum, so had no more info........So what JimJames  and Kenneth 1995 have to say is quite important...I chose no2!! i myself had no problems with the procedure, but i would think long and hard before recommending to anyone else!!   if your problem is with the Prostate ( at the time mine was completely normal!!!!) then seek more advice everywhere... i was told about RE, and yes that does happen to me, otherwise life is completely normal ( i am now 70) i pee like i did when much younger, there is no effect on my Cycling/ football/ love life... but i would stress, do not go this route lightly,,  speak to many authorities, and discuss here with ALL the forum users......be aware, do not bow down to apparent health experts in the NHS...seek advice at all times!!,    all the best....Syd .

• Posted

Surfman.  So they gave you a TURP... Anthony is looking to have a TUIP which they cut a slice in the bladder neck and prostate.  No tissue is removed.  I am glad that you Turp went well for you.  Sometime they don't go so well.  Enajoy and have fun  Ken    

• Posted

I believe TUIP is recommended on smaller prostates.  Correct if I'm wrong on this.  There is a 20% chance of RE.  

• Posted

Hi all, further to my reply yesterday, yes there is a 50/50 chance of RE with a TUIP procedure.....although in some cases ~( mine ) i do not have blanket RE,....sometimes yes , sometimes no!!....very odd!.
    • Posted

The incidence of retrograde from TUIP was 6.6% in a 1997 study.

Jim

• Posted

The incidence of retrograde from TUIP was 6.6% in a 1997 study.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Camster, I think you are correct with the first point although not sure where the unsuitable size point is.

What attracted me to consider TUIP was that it seemed like a lesser operation overall, than TURP with hopefully lesser side effects overall - maybe I am wrong there? ?

As for RE -- maybe others in the forum would be able to give an accurate assessment or confirmation of your figure .

I have been given a lot of things to think about in the Forum which I am going to consider now.. lots of helpful replies thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.