TUIP

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I am interested in the TUIP for prostate rather than TURP

Does anybody know what hospitals in the UK carry this out?

Thanks

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am interested in knowing if there is anyone in the states that has had this done and where. Is it supposed to be much less invasive than a TURP. My FLA Doc is recommending this for me as a follow up to the FLA, but it’s hard to find info on it. I think most doctors go straight to TURP for their patients.
    • Posted

TUIP's been around for over 20 years but doesn't seem that popular anymore which doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good choice. I'd try and find a doctor who has performed a number of them.

Jim

• Posted

It doesn’t seem like very many people are getting the TUIP done. But it is what Dr K thought I should have done because the FLA opened up a bunch of space that soon filled up with fluid. I suggested Rezum as a follow up, but he said no that was not a good idea. I cannot remember if he said why. The incidence of retro doesn’t seem to be too high for TUIP based on what you posted earlier, thanks for that.

Moto ?🏻

• Posted

I would get more opinions on TUIP from urologists and bring your 3TMRI's with you. The problem is not that many doctor's perform it and those that don't probably don't know much about it. Might be worth a trip to a place like the Mayo or Cleveland Clinic where they have a broad urologic knowledge base. Most of the article and studies on TUIP are 10-20 years old and while somewhat popular back then as an in-office procedure, it got dropped by most uros I assume because it didn't work that well.

Jim

• Posted

Moto,

You might want to ask Jersey Doc abou TUIP over in the Rezum thread. His practice seems to do (or has done) just about all of the procedures.

Jim

• Posted

Jim, I would also look into redo rate after a TUIP.  I researched this stuff awhile back and I think it didn't hold up that well.  Cam

• Posted

After that do you consider that your FLA was a success ?
    • Posted

Jim & Cam    I look into it to.  And the articles that I read some say that a TUIP can give you the same side effects of a Turp and other say that retro ejaculation is less likely to happen.  But you have to remember they are not just cutting a slice in the prostate they are cutting the bladder neck.  And if you look up bladder neck incisions procedure there is a 35 % chance of retro because the bladder neck will not close right.  Take care  ken

• Posted

Camster, that is what I remember as well. The results weren't that durable.

• Posted

Derek,

No I don’t consider it a success. I did for a long time, but now I am basically in the same spot I was prior to the procedure. So while Dr K (and 3 other “FLA experts”) think the TUIP would help me, I am inclined to go for a more aggressive procedure and just be done with it. 

I don’t like the retro I get from Flomax, but I don’t like not being able to pee more.

It sounds like most docs that do TURP can also do TUIP, but I think they just go straight to the TURP procedure, probably due to the effectiveness. 

And Jimjames, so far I have had my MRI’s sent to one uro who didn’t look at them or consider them. I also got a lecture about TURP being the gold standard, what were you thinking, blah, blah, blah. So I am now seeing a second uro because of this hoping he will be a little more open minded. 

I am also prepared to head to Mayo if needed, but seems like so far their specialty is Holep, although they are doing the trial of Aquablation, they do not have the equipment yet, and aren’t sure if they will. They must have something on loan from the manufacturer in the mean time...

• Posted

FLA had seemed to be a procedure that had good reviews. I wonder how common the fluid filled spaces are. Presumably they were not mentioned as a possibility prior to the procedure.
  • Posted

I have a very large prostate.  Now that NICE has formally approved PAE as a cost effective treatment on the NHS, I decided to investigate it.  It involves a procedure to restrict blood to the prostate, so killing a part of it (and reducing its size).  My consultant said I was suitable for PAE (after seeing a CT scan of my groin) but quoted a price 3 times what clinics outside the UK ask.  So I am going abroad for mine.
    • Posted

And a holiday as well. Two or three years ago you might have got on to one of the trials at UK hospitals. 

Can you get travel insurance if you are travelling for medical treatment ?

• Posted

Patient experience on Bladder Neck Incision Surgery:

Proceed with caution

Erectile disfunction, irritation, constant tearing sensation, loss of your male soul

Only to be performed as last option

Don't listen to doctors claiming minimally invasive etc this surgery slices into you prostrate in two locations. Imagine your erectile supportive muscles being disconnected. You will lose an incredible amount of feeling and won't feel like the man you were before.

Research how men who have had a radical prostectemy feel - lost, impotent, empty. This is the effect of cutting into a man's prostate. The urological community only treats the prostate as a problem and does not acknowledge any of it's function. You will have complications and nobody will listen, they will just quote you the textbook phrase 'Gold standard treatment.' These people are either misinformed or just influenced by money

This surgery is damaging

If you are no longer sexually active and have major problems voiding go ahead. For all else be warned and do not trust the 'professionals.' The industry is tainted. Get at least three opinions and remember my words

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.