TURP Feedback Request

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am scheduled for bipolar TURP on 9/2/16.  I would like feedback from men experience with TURP, recovery, side effects, etc, especially for those with a large prostate.  My prostate is 100g, and I am concerned that the recovery, complications and side effects might be worse with larger prostates?

I believe that recovery might be slightly better with bipolar TURP compared to standard monopolar TURP?

I believe that my prostate is too large for urolift?

I would prefer PAE or another less invasive procedure than TURP.  But the problem is that I have about 25 bladder stones and at least 1 ureter stone that need to be surgically removed, somewhat urgently.  I am close to acute retention.  If I have the stones removed, without TURP, then the trauma to my prostate/urethra will put me into acute retention until substantial improvement is realized via PAE, requiring probably months of catheterization, and even then it might not work.  I am not a fan of catheterization, especially long-term, but the idea of TURP is scary.  My surgeon said that there is a "chance" that 2 TURPs might be necessary, due to the fact that my prostate volume is large and the stone removal.

I would especially appreciate TURP feedback from men with larger prostates.  With feedback, please include the pre-surgery size of your prostate, if possible.

Thanks.  Mark

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mark Like I told you before A turp will be the worst thing they will do. I feel sorry for you if that is what you decide  May god help you do the right thing Ken
  • Posted

Hi Mark...

I'm 64, my Turp was on May 24th, of this year. I'm very pleased with the results. I was very concerned with all of the negative comments I read here. Because of my finances and insurance a Turp was really my only option.

One Nurlogist called my prostate State Fair size. It migrated into my bladder. The procedure took three hours, typically my Urologist said it usually takes her 1.5 hours to perform. However, it was not a cake walk for me. I had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic. Prior to the operation I had a Foley in place since February, this caused my bladder to become lazy. My bladder lost the ability to void after the "operation catheter" was removed. I had to have a catheter replaced after the operation. With that catheter I used it to re-train my bladder. For a month during waking hours I was given a plug and inserted it into the tube so I voided into the toilet instead of into the Foley. Also I self cathetered for those 30 days.

Now I'm free of using prostate meds. I was not left incontinent -- a major concern. As a bonus I don't have retrograde ejaculations... (in all honesty I don't have much ejaculate though.) I would be curious to hear if this is typical of other post Turp men. My stream is strong, not like that when I was a teen however.

I wish you well Mark... Take Care, Denis

• Posted

Denknee.......I am very happy for you that the problem is behind you.  You had no choise That is the only thing they can do when the medien lobe goes into the bladder.  I allway aks my urologist question on some of the problems on here.  He told me that is the only reason he does a turp.  He does not do many but in that case that is the only way to open you up.  I am glad that you do not have retro.  Your doctor must have be very good and did not distroy your bladder neck which controls the ejaculation to come out not in.  As we get older we don't produce alot but I still enjoy the feeling.  Take care and good health   Ken 

• Posted

Thanks Denkee - Glad that everthing worked out well for you in the end.  Mark

• Posted

Hi Mark,   Last time I checked, 80 gm was the largest prostate , PAEsize for Urolift.  (I had Urolift in Dec.)   I would do some serious reading about HoLEP and other procedures men on this site will suggest.  THere have been so many horror stories shared here about TURP, that I consider those who did well with the procedure the "lucky ones."  And I don't want to have to rely on luck in that area!!!  :-P  

Also, you  mention "months of catheritization."  I would recommend you consider intermittent SELF-catheterizing; I have been doing it for two years now, as I couldn't stand the BAG for more than a week.  Intermittent catheterizing would buy you time, even with totally restricted (i.e., cut off) flow, which happened to me two years ago.

• Posted

Hi cartoonman - You had urolift in Dec, but still self-catheterizing?

I feel that I would not be able to self-cath, just too squeemish.

I could go to England for HoLEP surgery with Tevita Aho, but I am so weak from depression/lack of sleep (getting up 12 times per night) that I can not muster the strength for a trip like that for scary surgery and recovery in a foreign land.

HoLEP with Dr Lingeman would take at least 2 months.

If only I could get something better than TURP quickly and here locally.  Mark

• Posted

Yes, Mark: Urolift in December, wall was great (imediate "pee-ability!"wink, but I needed to cath some, due to permanently-stretched-out bladder from rentention for years; only self-empties leaving 400-800cc in the bladder!  So 2X per day self-cathing.  

Re self-cathing squeemishness vs. getting up TWELVE TIMES PER NIGHT (!):  I humbly suggest working on your squeamish!  :-)  I'm 67, cath before bed and almost NEVER get up at night at all!   Just a thought.... I remember how crappy I felt, when I lost sleep getting up 3-4 times at night...

• Posted

cartoonman - I was told that stretched out bladders could sometimes be reconditioned, over a period of about 1 year.  The goal is to always keep the bladder as empty as possible and PVR will gradually decrease.  A urologist described a suprapubic catheter for 1 year to keep the bladder always empty.  Not sure if you heard this or not, or if it works in all cases.

What was your PVR before urolift?  Did it improve at least some due to the surgery?  Mark

• Posted

Hi. Do consider HoLep as an option as it is best suited to very large prostates; mine was around 130gm. It may not be an option with your stones but worth checking out. I had mine done 2 years ago by Tevita Aho in Cambridge UK and was 100% successful. It must be carried out by an expert such as Tevita. It does lead to retrograde ejaculation but for me at age 69 it wasn't a problem. In the USA, I believe the Mayo clinic does this procedure with good online reviews.

• Posted

Mark,

I had Turp 1/20/16 the recovery time was about 4 weeks, I stayed in the hospital a couple of days.  I think the key to good recovery was drink lots of water, I had no 

bleeding after a week, I would be lieing if I said the retro doesn't bother me. I am 63 and I am adjusting, my wife couldn't tell.  I can pee like a teen ager again and only get up once at night, I didn't have the bleeding when the scabs came off (I think the drinking of lots of water is the reason).  I am very satisfied with the turp right now, I had good results.  Take care.

• Posted

Thanks Barry - Do you know the size of your prostate prior to the procedure?  Do you know if it was bipolar TURP or monopolar TURP?Mark
    • Posted

Hi barry,

You were only 63 when you had the turp. Did you Really need it? Does the retro bother you?

Steve

• Posted

I could have waited on Turp, and keep taking the meds, but the lack of sleep and having to wear a pad all of the time was changing my lifestyle.  The retro, was not easy to get used too, but I have and my wife did not notice any difference, until I told her.  Also the side effects of the meds I was on was cause of great concern for me.  I am sure I made the right choice for me.
    • Posted

I'm glad, barry. It's caused a lot of psychological issues for me.

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.