TURP Feedback Request

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am scheduled for bipolar TURP on 9/2/16.  I would like feedback from men experience with TURP, recovery, side effects, etc, especially for those with a large prostate.  My prostate is 100g, and I am concerned that the recovery, complications and side effects might be worse with larger prostates?

I believe that recovery might be slightly better with bipolar TURP compared to standard monopolar TURP?

I believe that my prostate is too large for urolift?

I would prefer PAE or another less invasive procedure than TURP.  But the problem is that I have about 25 bladder stones and at least 1 ureter stone that need to be surgically removed, somewhat urgently.  I am close to acute retention.  If I have the stones removed, without TURP, then the trauma to my prostate/urethra will put me into acute retention until substantial improvement is realized via PAE, requiring probably months of catheterization, and even then it might not work.  I am not a fan of catheterization, especially long-term, but the idea of TURP is scary.  My surgeon said that there is a "chance" that 2 TURPs might be necessary, due to the fact that my prostate volume is large and the stone removal.

I would especially appreciate TURP feedback from men with larger prostates.  With feedback, please include the pre-surgery size of your prostate, if possible.

Thanks.  Mark

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There are plenty of people with good outcomes from TURP, but more with bad ones than any other procedure. Your stones might rule out the less invasive ones, but Holep is one to investigate. My suggestions is to get over the squeamishness, learn to self cath and wait the 2 months for Holep. With TURP, impotence is a real possibility, a long recovery is probable and many say they are never the same. 2 months vs. the rest of your life is what you have to weigh. TURP should always be a last resort - reached when several uroolgists who also perform the other procedures say its the only option IMO. Good luck!
  • Posted

I have replied to a similar post, in the UK bi polar TURP was only approved by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence ( NICE) only last year. I had a bi polar TURP 4 weeks ago. no pain meds needed afterwards, slight bleeding which has now tapered off to almost nothing, good stream, no dribbling and no incontinence. The catheter was only inplace for 2 days, it was removed the morning off my last day in hospital. BTW nice strong erections too, have n't tried full sex yet, advised to wait for 5 to 6 weeks. Not too worried by retarded ejaculation, but wife says it will be a lot less messy!!

I have read this and similar threads and I get the feeling that you guys in the US of A are the victims of the health industry, here you only get you you really need. I was on Tamusolin but for only 3 months, it was considered something to help while waiting for the op., not a cure in itself. Also why catheterize for months, some one is making a dollar or two somewhere.

• Posted

Thanks Bruce - Do you know the size of your prostate prior to the procedure?  Mark
    • Posted

Hi Bruce,

I still get a slight dribble after peeing 6 years after the turp. Is that normal?

Steve

• Posted

Bruce  I am happy that it did not effect your erection but I hope it does not distrory your orgasm.  I had it with a pill I was on and they were flat.  That is not for me..  Never will I let a doctor take that away from me.  I myself enjoy the clean up.  I'm 61 and my orgasms are intence.  I had a uro-lift in april of 2015 still going strong.  Good health to you..Ken

• Posted

No idea. Did it start soon after the op? Six years ago bi polar TURP was nt available here.
  • Posted

Uro said my prostate was normal for a man of my age, I am71. Till I read this forum IDidnt know the protate could be measured, how is it done and what is g surely not grams.
    • Posted

Bruce - Prostate volume is measured by rectal ultra-sound (most accurate), or estimated from MRI, CT scans, or abdominal ultasound.  For materials that are roughly the same weight as water (ie, prostate) grams, ml and cc are all the same.  Grams is customarily used to describe prostate volume, but cc or ml can be used as well.  Mark
  • Posted

My urologist measured my prostate size by a TRUS done in 10 minutes on the couch in his office. From this he was able to measure the dimensions and hence estimate the volume and weight. The 'g' is grams.

• Posted

Mark,

Did the bladder stones hurt? I had about 6 of them and they gave me a lot of problems, what with the infected residual urine which resulted in them and all.2 had to be removed with a mucul bleeder/ fulgarated because they were causing me such pain. I was on flomax and that didn't help plus my urine stream was only 3.2 cc/ sec.  The rest came out with the TURP where a middle protruded lobe was found also.    Steve

• Posted

Steve - I would be very interested to know what problems the bladders stones gave you?

I have multiple symptoms, including mild pain, but not sure what is due to enlarged prostate, urine retention (500ml), bladder stones, etc.

What do you mean by infected residual urine?  What problems (symptoms, etc) did that cause?

Please explain.  Thanks.  Mark

• Posted

Mark,

I sent you a message and I accidently deleted it. I will send you one tomorrow.

Goodnight,

Steve

• Posted

Mark,

I had a lot of problems with the bladder stones. Very bad pain in the perrenial area and the prostate became infected and swelled up to the point where I couldn't walk. I was In tears. This was 6 1/2 years ago.Apparently after sitting in the bladder for such a long time, the urine becomes infected and causes bladder stones to form. If you didn't have the problems I apparently had, you are very lucky. Mine also infected the prostate and I got prostatitis. Naturally i had the turp done so I could get some relief, but I'm sorry I made that decision. I really wasn't given any other alternative during that time. If I had known about self-catheritization I surely would have done that, but the Dr. gave me no option. I have been going through many years of hell because of this and I hope that someday God will show me the way out and I can live my life once again.

I did have a very bad stream for many years and I ignored it. Apparently the urine built up in my bladder and bladder stones formed.I had just come off of a relationship where I had unprotected sex a couple of times and was worried about an STD, but the tests all came back  negative so I was apparently in the clear. My urinary symptoms during this period were atrocious and I just didn't think about it. 5 times a night up going to the bathroom and if I drank any liquids I would have to be near a bathroom for a couple of trips. I honestly don't know what happened to me during this period and I have been having a lot of psychological problems because of it. You sound similar because of the bladder stones and infected urine. I hope i helped you and I also hope that I can work my way through what this dr. did to me up in New York. I hope that the Dr. that I am seeing now will help me and get me back on the right path so that I can be myself once again. Nov., Dec. of 2009 are just a blurr to me and I would give anything just to make some sense out of it.

Steve

• Posted

Steve - Sorry to hear about you unhappiness.  Hope that you are feeling better soon.  I have not had any infection due to the retention; only bladder stones.  Thank you for the warning about possible infection and prostatitus.  God bless you.  Mark

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.