TURP procedure RE: reproduction and sexual repercussions

Posted , 12 users are following.

The urologist I saw has got me in on a cancellation and notified me last Thursday to do the TURP in 25 days.

I want to decline, one concern is that even though I'm older I still may want children at some point in the next  couple years as well after develop a relationship with a woman that I will meet.

The idea of and the repercussions that I understand about the procedure could limit me in my fertility and sexual performance arena.

If I stated to the urologist at this point that this was a major concern with me, doesn't seem likely he would look for alternative solutions to my BPH issues? Is it valid for not having the TURP done at this point?

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, of course it is absolutely right to refuse if you want to try for a child.
  • Posted

You will most probably end up with retrograde (dry) ejaculations from TURP so children could be problematic not to mention the sexual experience. There are other options. Urologists tend to push what they do. If your urologist isn't offering you alternatives, see another urologist. How bad are your symptons? Do you have retention? Do you know your IPSS score? If not, "google" it and find out. Sometimes all you need is medication. Self catherization is another non surgical option. There is also a procedure called Urolift that doesn't cause retrograde ejaculation. Do you homework before you make any decisions.

Jim

• Posted

John  you just answered your own question.  You just said that you may want to have kids and a god sex life.  You are not at that point. It is a last resort procedure.  He had a concellation someone else told him no.  You need to do it now also fine another doctor you have not even been on any pills yet to see if they will help you.  You have to do everything you can first before you go cutting out a piece of your body.  John by the way how old are you  Ken
    • Posted

Hi thanks Kenneth. I had just put on another discussion. About how when the doctor did this scope he saw two lesions on my bladder. Then he commented on the size of my prostate and said he can scrape some of that out at the same time as the operation for the TURB bladder lesions. He said I would be getting a two-for-one. So they have scheduled both procedures during the same operation. That was Thursday. Would it seem appropriate for me to send a fax to their office revoking my consent for the TURP and seeing if they will do the only one operation for the bladder lesions? The administrative assistant I'm sure will make a lot of trouble that now they booked for both operations. Any thoughts on that?

• Posted

Oh yeah I 58 years old. Very physically fit. There's no one to carry on my family name. And I've just spent 10 years taking care of my parents have recently died so I feel like it's up to me to carry on the genetic code. Does that sound like a argument at the doctor would be able to understand and agree to in canceling the TURP.? I suspect I'll get a lot of resistance if I try to cancel one operation just do the other.

• Posted

John like I said before.  This doctor is trying to get you into surgery anyway he can.  say no to both for now.  Try some pills and enjoy your life.  Ken
    • Posted

What your Dr. thinks means absolutely nothing. Its your prostate you do with it as you see fit. If its not giving you lots of trouble wait it out. BPH is pretty much a given for men. That means they're working all the time on new procedures. If you absolutely need to do something now look into FLA. Its not a perfect answer and you'll fork over $25K of your own money but the men here that didn't have other problems to begin with have fared well with FLA

• Posted

I think I'm having moderate trouble. My post void residual is 200 mi and avoided volume was one twenty120 ml. I don't know does that sound bad.?

• Posted

It's your body. You and you alone make any final decisions as to when and if to go forward or not.

Just tell the urologist that due to possible reproduction repercussions, you want to slow things down & do your own research as to what ave. you think you might choose to go down.

After you do your research, go back to him and discuss what you've learned. See what options are open to you with him.

If you don't like his choice, there are other urologists.

Raffie

• Posted

Thank you Raffie for that comment.  It is your body.  The doctor do not worry about the outcome you have to deal with any side effect.  I would not trust him.  I would try another doctor before it to late.  He need to call and cancel.  He is being buddied into this surgery..Ken 
    • Posted

Thanks Raffie and Kenneth, it is really helping getting perspective. To do this right, I think I should send a FAX to the office of the urologist Dr. Stating clearly that

I am revoking my consent for the TURP procedure however still want to have the bladder lesions removed through the  TURB procedure.

I wonder if I should give the reasons? Which would be for sexual in reproduction reasons and wanting to try medications first for the BPH condition.

Does that sound reasonable? If I feel that if I call on the phone they're going to try to talk me into keeping both surgeries.

• Posted

Careful he may tell you about ejaculation preserving TURP. There are no guarantees with it.  
    • Posted

Johnny,

I'd step back, take a deep breath, and take the time pressure off yourself. Unless you think this doctor is very special, why not just cancel your appointment for now and get a second opinion on those leisons. Sounds like you might need a new urologist anyway, one who has more options than just TURP. Worrying about what the doctor will think is the wrong mindset. This is your body and you have to take control.

Jim

• Posted

Is there such a thing  ejaculation preserving TURP.. Because he will promise that he can do that which perhaps you can?
    • Posted

If your median lobe is not the problem he will be able to do a bladder neck sparing procedure.

Obviously your man is not the butcher some on here think all TURP surgeons are. 

• Posted

Yes there is but it is only a 50/50 chance.  It seams like this doctor is pulling out all stops to get you on that table.  All of us on here have told you to cancel and get another opinion.  Please  do it and get some more information  Ken 
    • Posted

I was not going to say anything but I have to.  The surgeon may be smart in a way but he is not following protocol that even doctor is suppose to fellow.  Every man on here has been through it.  They even tell you that in the article from the UK.  The first thing a Urologist is to do is give the patients med's to see if that help after any test are done.  This was not done.  You don't rush a patients into a procedure that he has not had time to check out.  They had him sign papers before he left the hospital. Then have the administrator telling him at the hospital that it is a easy procedure and he should heal fast.   What a guy.  And also he wants to use him for training.  That's not right.  Derek how many procedure have you had before you found one that worked for you.You had at least 4 or 5.  That was not right.  No man should have to go through that.  He does not want the side effects of the surgery.  The lesions are small. Maybe he needs them done but not by this doctor  I would not trust that doctor to touch me at all.  John needs to stand up for his body before it's to late  Ken   

• Posted

Kenneth as you should well know from my years of postings  I had a GL in 2004 that worked and a Thulium/Holmium laser in 2015 after my prostate regrew. I did not take meds for long Tamulosin reduced my sperm output, started RE until I stopped it. It also affected my eyes and caused floppy iris syndrome. Finasteride had several bad side effects as well as making my breasts grow.
    • Posted

Derek I'm sorry I got them mixed up with the TURP that you declined before you have the first surgery.  We were not told of all the problems he had.  And he posted to many post adding a little each time..  But i do believer he has some time to try the meds to see if they help.  Then see what his option are.  I still don't think he has his best interest at heart.  You do not tell a person the same day what you want them to have have them sign for it and schedule the surgery before they leave the hospital.  He as not even given time to rab his head around it. Also he would like to have a child.  He has to seat down and see what he should do.  Should he save some of his sperm.  He has a lot to think about.  He needs to cancel the surgery seat make and take some time to see what he wants to do.  We all on here have his best interest but he has to not be rushed.  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

The first Uro I saw in Scotland in 1995 when my prostate was 35 grms told me I could go into retention at any time and needed a TURP as a matter of some urgency. I did some research and was fortunate that a journalist who had been told the same wrote a series of articles about the dangers of TURP and many of the medications. I also bought a book now outdated by the US Navy urology surgeon by then in private practice and had some correspondence with him. He also advised me against TURP and to wait for one of the laser procedures being developed.

When I discussed my research with my Uro some of it was new to him and he asked me for a copy of it. 

Both my laser procedures were a walk in the park although I got an infection after the second one when the catheter was left in to long..  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.