TURP procedure RE: reproduction and sexual repercussions

Posted , 12 users are following.

The urologist I saw has got me in on a cancellation and notified me last Thursday to do the TURP in 25 days.

I want to decline, one concern is that even though I'm older I still may want children at some point in the next  couple years as well after develop a relationship with a woman that I will meet.

The idea of and the repercussions that I understand about the procedure could limit me in my fertility and sexual performance arena.

If I stated to the urologist at this point that this was a major concern with me, doesn't seem likely he would look for alternative solutions to my BPH issues? Is it valid for not having the TURP done at this point?

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

When you sign any informed consent form giving your permission to proceed, make sure what you're signing is only for the TURB. Medical personnel tend to rush thru documents to get you to sign off & if the TURP is in the document the doc may do it.

Raffie

• Posted

Hi, I've already signed the consent right after that was on Tuesday March 20. Now the hospital as arranged the operating room an overnight stay already. Since I already signed consents. What I send a fax signed stating that I want to revoke the TURP consent that I sign previously?

• Posted

Johnny,

You won't be the first person to change your mind about a surgery.  You have legitimate concerns.  It doesn't matter what the doctor thinks is "reasonable" or not.  Just tell him you've decided you're not ready for the TURP.  If you want the lesions out, then get those out.  Don't feel forced into this when you're not comfortable.

Doug

• Posted

John has a right to have any surgery he want but i would not trust this doctor.  Even if he sign just for the one procedure they still have the other sign ed paper work and the doctor can say that they was a problem and he had to do the TURP.  He needs to see someone else to play it safe.  Because once it's done there is no going back.  Ken

• Posted

Why are you having TURP?  Have you been in retention, where you were blocked or closed to being unable to urinate?  Or, is it just frequency of urination and nocturia?   If it's the retention/blockage, then have you been offered the option of CIC (clean intermittent catheter) for a period?   If you want to retain the possibility of fathering children, you better find another alternative to TURP!

• Posted

Neurologist did a a post void ultrasound and measured 200 ml a residual. Then when he looked with the scope inside he saw that prostate low was blocking the urethra. At that point he said we're going to do it two-for-one. a TURP and TURB . Give her two tiny lesions inside the bladder that's what that TURB was for. I didn't like the 2-for-1 idea of the surgery .I'm I overreacting?

• Posted

I meant urologist did a a post void ultrasound and measured 200 ml. This 200 sounds like a lot and I need a TURP right away?
    • Posted

How many times did you say that  you need to get up during the night?
    • Posted

To me it seams like it is a after thought just to get you on the table.  You said that TURP is the only thing he does.  That is why he is pushing you.  He does not care about your concerns or anything after the surgery.  That is not a good doctor.  Ken 
    • Posted

That is very disruptive and reason enough to make you want a solution to your problem.

Re future fatherhood you could discuss having your sperm frozen .

• Posted

Hey Kenneth, thanks you do make a lot of super intelligent sense. Thank you
  • Posted

How old is your urologist?   I got rushed into TURP by a urologist who is about old enough to retire, and I really regret having done it.  Look for a board certified urologist in their early 40's.  There are procedures and new medical facts that some of the really old ones haven't bothered to keep up with.

• Posted

My urologist is about 58. one of the top people he's the director of Renal transplantation at a large hospital. I think he only does TURP as a procedure. And insists I need that. 

HoweverI just started taking tamsulosin. I haven't tried any other pharmaceutical remedies. I have a feeling it will improve my situation.

?If I tell him that I don't want the surgery because of fertility reasons, he may have an answer that he can do it so I don't have retrograde ejaculation. However I still want to slow down and look for whenever the better newer invasive surgeries.

• Posted

Forget titles. My old uro was head of the department at a major and esteemed teaching hospital. He only did TURP and his knowledge base beyond TURP was limited. This is not unusual. They can be king of the hill in one thing (renal transplant in your case) but that doesn't necessarily translate into knowledge or expertise in other procedures. They sell what they know and do. I'm sure he feels TURP is best for you but I'm also sure he feels retro is no big deal. This is typical. But it's a big deal for you as it is for many of us, so you gotta look elsewhere. Unless he can cite case statistics, don't believe him if he says he can do turp and preserve ejaculation.

Jim

• Posted

Thanks for that! I know it's going to be a tug-of-war when I try to cancel on Monday. The big problem also is he was going to do two procedures during one operation. He called it a two-for-one. One was the TUR B for two small lesions on my bladder. That I need done. Yeah there was a TUR P. I'm going to see if I can remove my consent for the TURP and only get there TURB. Sounds kind of crazy.

• Posted

The idea of a two-for-one operation sounds a little confusing in a way. I'm almost scared to go in for the one TURB procedure now if I cancel the TURP in the 2-for-1 idea which he had.

• Posted

Print out your responses on TURP from here and take them to him for his observations.
    • Posted

John with what you just wrote in the last post to Glenn you just made up your mind.  Send the FAX and cancel.  Monday get on the phone and look around for a new urologist.  I think this urologist is to full of himself.  Ken 
    • Posted

John have another doctor do it.  I would not trust him near my prostate.  Cancel the whole thing.  Ken
    • Posted

Sending a fax is the cowards way out. He should discuss it face to face. While I refused a TURP 13 years ago it in no way means that it is not done successfully for many men. There are newer variations of the original TURP but as we all know many surgeons even say TURP for GL. It is similar to the phrase 'blood thinners' when they know that anti coagulants don't actually thin the blood. 

• Posted

Johnny,

It's your body and your life, and only you have the right to go ahead with surgery.  If they give you a hard time about delaying TURP for the time being, then be ready to walk away.

I got rushed into TURP in March of 2016.  I wasn't in retention, although I had nocturia and wasn't completely emptying the bladder.  I had some qualms about having the surgery, but was concerned about all the bad things the doctor said my happen.  To make a long story short, I had a Greenlight laser, and it left so much debris that I had a second procedure (Gyrus TURP0 6 weeks later. I was left totally incontinent, requiring 6-10 heavy duty Depends and/or pads per day.  I was carrying  a heavy plastic bag (3-5 lbs) out to the garbage can each morning.  I then did all kinds of PT to try to make the incontinence better, seeing two therapists at the urology practice for months. Also used an electrical stimulation device twice a day, a process using a probe in the bum to try to make the pelvic floor muscles stronger.

I sought out a new urologist, one that specializes in Artificial Urinary Sphincter implants.  He discovered that my problem was caused by a complex stricture through the external sphincter.  I'm certain that this damage was done by the 1st urologist.  I had to have 3 more surgeries before I got to the point I could have the AUS implanted.  I did, and i'm living a pretty normal life again, but I had 6 surgeries over a two year period!

My outcome was not normal, and it doesn't happen often.  Many men have successful procedures of different kinds to deal with BPH.   My gut, my instinct, told me to delay having the 1st (Greenlight) procedure, but I went ahead a have regretted it ever since.

• Posted

Hi, Glenn, Thanks for telling me your story. Like you, before you had the first surgery to relieve the BPH symptoms, the symptoms were livable and manageable.

This urologist is a high level surgeon at a big hospital in Canada. However he is also an associate professor add a teaching university. He said that his residence will be assisting him with my surgery. I'm not sure what assisting means. Perhaps they will do some of the surgery themselves.

He said I likely won't have retro ejaculation. And the stressing I do it. There is a lot of pressure to do it. The waiting time is usually about 90 days. I got a cancellation so they got me in in 24 days from now.

The other thing I'm concerned about which I think I mentioned before. Is that he said I'm getting a two-for-one. Which means a TUR B and a TUR P during the same operation. Which sounds like they may rest one to get to the other. I don't think I'll be able to cancel one without cancelling both. The TUR B is forward small bladder lesions which have to come out.

• Posted

This was part of a reply from a Canadian this week on another site. I've cut out his personal details and non essential bits. It might even have been your doctor as he was yelled at!

Besides that, there is the matter of risk. Surgery carries a risk. The greatest risks are bleeding and infection, but there is also a risk of severing nerves and the consequences thereof. But there is also a risk if you do nothing. Urinary retention can severely stress the bladder and you might lose the elasticity, which will cause problems every time you have to pee. I got yelled at by one doctor after a retention episode. The doc warned me about the consequences to the bladder. There is also a danger to the kidneys if they have to put up with high pressure constantly. I really like my kidneys, and also my bladder, so after some years of dithering, my fears of a TURP gave way to a fear of damaging my other organs. I went with the advice of my urologist, who is in the best position to decide on the best measures to take. My prostate was big (150 g) and he decided for TURP. The procedure went pretty well - quite a bit of bleeding, but that was anticipated. It's been 9 years now and I have no more symptoms. I'm cured. There is no indication that another TURP will be needed in the foreseeable future. What you do depends on many things. Everybody is different. Read, listen, consider... the most important info will probably come from your urologist. Good luck with your decision!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.