TURP procedure RE: reproduction and sexual repercussions

Posted , 12 users are following.

The urologist I saw has got me in on a cancellation and notified me last Thursday to do the TURP in 25 days.

I want to decline, one concern is that even though I'm older I still may want children at some point in the next  couple years as well after develop a relationship with a woman that I will meet.

The idea of and the repercussions that I understand about the procedure could limit me in my fertility and sexual performance arena.

If I stated to the urologist at this point that this was a major concern with me, doesn't seem likely he would look for alternative solutions to my BPH issues? Is it valid for not having the TURP done at this point?

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Johnny,

I agree with the other guys. Fax the doctor's office and cancel everything. Tell them you're not ready. Don't worry about how they feel or what they say. Be polite, but firm. You owe them nothing. You didn't say where you live, but it sounds as if there's a university medical center nearby. Look around and find another, or maybe two other urologists and get a 2nd and perhaps a 3rd opinion. I wouldn't trust them to just do the bladder operation, and it sounds as if it can wait without causing you any big problems. Look at all the alternatives, then make a decision at your own pace. TURP is, IMHO, an old and mostly outdated procedure that can leave you with a long recovery and lots of unintended consequences including impotence, incontinence, retro-ejaculation, etc. Even if they say they can do an ejaculation-preserving TURP, it's not a guarantee; they're just trying to improve the odds. Good luck!

• Posted

We are talking of a major hospital here not an individual Uro hard up for patients so credit them with not Shanghaiing him off the street. I did warn him by PM after his initial post that the anti surgery brigade would be out in force.

• Posted

Cancel everything. You need time to weigh up your options. Sounds to me like you're in the US and that money is driving this not your interests. There are a lot of alternatives to TURP, which is a no turning back option. Doesn't mean to say it isn't the right option but as it is so draconian other options must be looked at first. If Prostate Artery Embolisation (PAE) is an option for your problems then this is your first option as it doesn't preclude anything else in the future, a TURP does. Even medication is better than making such a big decision, it will at least buy you what you need most; time.

• Posted

It seems that John like many others has had his symptoms for a long time and he has not told us of any previous consultations with a GP or a Uro. Presumably due to looking after his parents for ten years he has neglected his own problems.

He is now at the stage where it is probably too late to get relief from meds in the short term as he now gets up between three and five times a night and he has the other bladder problem to be dealt  with. Whether TURP is the first choice for him or not it was reasonable for the very experienced surgeon to suggest treating both problems at once. We don't know if John is covered by insurance or is self funding. I may well be that by looking after his parents he has not worked for years There is much that we don't know..   

• Posted

Hi, I've actually only has symptoms for about a year. I am up in Canada what healthcare is free. The urologist saw is a large hospital.

I met with him once for five minutes consultation.

The second meeting what's for a cystoscopy. At which time he said "there is your problem." "Prostate is very enlarged and is blocking the urethra."

Five minutes after the cystoscopy he said meet me in room 11 for the paperwork.

He said looking to do a two-for-one surgery. Get rid of small bladder lesions and at the same surgery scrape out some of your prostate TURP.

That was it. Then he said "I'll see you in three months".

Two days later I got a call from his office same there was a cancellation and poking me in three wait for the two-for-one surgery. That was Thursday last week. So if I cancel the TU RP on Monday morning, it seems appropriate. It Just seems like the whole thing was a whirlwind.

• Posted

I meant I am up in Canada where Health care is free. In all. I've only met with the urologist for less than half an hour total.

• Posted

Hi, I was going to tell the urologist that I'm canceling the surgery due to fertility concerns genetic sexual concerns.

I think his response will be I can avoid that problem during the operation.

• Posted

I was scheduled to have 2 for 1 surgery (as the Urologist calls it) in 25 days. One surgery is to remove bladder lesions the second a TURP for BPH. Can I refuse the second surgery. And only get the first surgery to remove the bladder lesions. The doctor is pressuring me. Do I have a right to refuse one surgery and get the other as patient.

Update: The first surgery has to be done it's mandatory. The second one can wait. But the doctor and the hospital have it in their mind to do both at once. 

• Posted

No surgery is mandatory it is elective and you are the one who has to agree to it and can change your mind at the last moment.  
    • Posted

John don't tell him that.  Tell him that you feel rushed and your not ready.  Tell him thank you but not right now  Ken

• Posted

You would get more comprehensive testing in the States assuming the urologist was good. They would do history, IPSS score, uroflow, PVR via portable scanner, DRE and probably order a kidney/bladder ultrasound. Cystoscopy might or might not be indicated. Urodynamic functional testing of the bladder is another important test prior to making a surgical decision. Trial with medications also precedes procedures and surgeries Jumping right into cysoscopy and then TURP is not the protocol here so either you have different protocols or your guy likes his invasive procedures. It's not free here but we do get more than a 5 minute consultation.

Jim

• Posted

I woudn't get anything done or removed based on a five minute consultation. I would want to know why the lesions have to be removed. Were they biopsied? How soon do they have to be removed? Are there other options? Is he just removing them because he's going in there anyway for the TURP? Here in the states, if I don't like what one urologist says, I can get an appointment with another one, sometimes within a week. And a third opinion if I don't like that. I understand your situation in Canada is different but that doesn't mean you should let a doctor have his way with you until you fully understand what he is doing, why he is doing it, and what are the other options.

If it comes to your five minute sit down I would start off by saying you've decided against TURP for now and are exploring other options such as medications, self cathing and less invasive procedures like Urolift and Rezum. I would then ask him why he wants to remove the leisons without doing a biospy first.  Unless very convincing, I might get a second opinion.

Jim

• Posted

Everything with John is so rushed.  It is not right.  He had no understanding of what all is going on just this is what I'm going to do and just sign these papers.  That is wrong  Ken

• Posted

In addition to the links I PM'd you there is a mass of genuine information if you search at the top left of the page.

https://patient.info/health/prostate-and-urethra-problems/prostate-gland-enlargement#nav-5

• Posted

Thanks Derek, it's a real dilemma because I need the small bladder lesions removed. I hope if I cancel the TURP on Monday they will still be able to accommodate the TURB for the bladder lesions .only. One thing is when the doctor to sign the consent forms, I asked him what if I don't get the TURP. His reaction was almost anger. He said I'll wreck my bladder, possibly get a kidney failure, And could even die if I don't get surgery.

• Posted

A rather over the top reaction from him .I once had a shouting match with one like that.  Personally I would have a face to face with him to discus his reasons for TURP and to talk over your other options now that you have had time to reflect. Presumably in Canada as in the UK you can choose to be referred to another hospital even in another area of the country.

I was given the same warnings as you when I waited for better options and also refused to self cath.I didn't come to any harm apart from a lot of UTI.s.

Quite a few Canadians on this Forum have had problems in getting the treatments they needed. My cousins husband used to have all his surgery heart and prostate in Florida where they went from Christmas to Easter..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.