TURP recovery

Posted , 31 users are following.

It looks as if I will have to have a TURP. I know that the recovery is lengthy so I would welcome peoples experiences of the recovery process: pros and cons, how soon can I put on my running shoes again, when can I get on the bike and lead a normal (for me) active life. I am 70. Thanks!

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn,

Curious, in your other thread you seemed leaning toward following the advice of the second urologist which was to hold off on TURP for now and do some more investigation. 

This sounded solid for several reasons. First, given the amount of retention you had, it's not clear that TURP would even be successful because of the condition of your bladder. Have you had bladder testing done, such as urodynamics, since your last thread?

The other reason is that there are now newer, less invasive options to TURP without some of the side effects such as retro ejaculation, which is almost a guarantee with TURP. 

Are  you still on a Foley or did you switch to a suprapubic or start self cathing? Either of the latter two would accomplish the same as a Foley but be more comfortable and buy you time to make a decision.

Jim

• Posted

The second urologist wanted to wait awhile then remove the catheter to see if I could pee normally. The result of that was that I was back in A&E next morning due to complete inability to pee partly caused I think to a catheter related infection. He now suggests the TURP.

I am aware of the alternatives but they are not available on the Polish NFZ (UK - NHS). At least I now have catheter plugs so I can detatch the catheter bag and lead in tubes during most of the day, and this also helps to reactivate the bladder after having not worked for some time. I hope the Urologist will have the good sense to have a look round first and if there is no obstruction of the uretha by the prostate or no pressure on the bladder from the prostate then abandon the project and try something else.

• Posted

You should ask the second urlogist to check your bladder elasticity and detrussor muscle strength with urodynamic testing. The fact that you cannot pee normally with the catheter removed, suggests the possiblity that your bladder is atonic. If your bladder is atonic, the TURP operation may not work and you will be back on the Foley again. I would not rush into a TURP unless I felt my chances of success were very good. Meanwhile, you might talk to him about either self cathing or a suprapubic catheter. Both are preferable to a Foley, even with the catheter plugs.

Jim

• Posted

First, every man reacts differently, and it can be from just a few days discomfort, average 3 weeks. You should not do strenuous exercise for probably 2 months.

Possibly the best thing you should do is find the very latest and less traumatic method, never the traditional TURP. At least go for bi-polar or button turp, and make sure yur surgeon is very expeienced, and promises to deal specifically with a central lobe if your prostate presents one.

Then again, ejectulation preserving procedure can be followed if it is still important to you. But be clear, TURP is no longer the bloody horror it too often was, go for it if you trust your surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, Unfortunately TURP was a bad experience for me with Incotinence, E/D and then diagnosed with Prostatitis following urine infections. Have to now self cath last thing at night as attending hospital dailyfor 28 days IV Antibiotics. Consultant says Prostate is growing back and will require further resection, also circumcision. All this in 18 months.  I think I have been unlucky, wishing you well.
  • Edited

I have a personal question.  What's so bad about retrograde ejaculation (unless, of course, you're trying to get your woman pregnant.)  If it feels the same, and if there's no ejaculation pain, what' the difference?

• Posted

Jerry, you draw your straw and it can be a short one or not. Fact is, many men do or don't notice they are ejaculating or not as before, and they may or may not feel the orgasim is less or equally intense or not there at all.

I think a good urologist can take a survey of what he knows of your status, and will be able to give a good estimate as to how you may react to a TURP. There are many factors.....

Skill of the surgeon, does the prostate push up into the bladder, how big is the prostate, how much spincter control does your bladder still have, how long have your had BHP symptoms, can your bladder still expand and contract fairly normally, how much urine is retained after a natural voiding, if you self-cath, for how long have you done that, do you regularly aquire UTI's, does your prostate have a prominent central lobe. Do you need to strain to start urination......it just goes on and on, but as I say, if you find a good urologist, he will be able to tell you a lot, (as long as he is not trying to pick your pocket at the same time....)

• Edited

I had GL surgery about 1 1/2 years ago. While no surgery in that area would qualify as fun, by the end of the following week, things were pretty much getting back to normal again. One result, though, was that I now have RE. It was sort of a surprising feeling not to ejaculate, but I'm mostly used to it. Since my erections and orgasms are still strong, I guess I still expect to ejaculate. For me, it is no biggie ... and being able to pee easily far out-trumps any disappointment in not ejaculating. 

• Posted

I'm going to assume that you have experienced retrograde ejaculation? If not, easy enough to do. Just ask your doc for some Tamsulosin (Flomax) and you will temporarily have retro.

But assuming that you did, I think it's a personal thing. I realize that there are some men who think retro is a non-issue or at the most a very reasonable trade off. There are others, including myself, who feel something is missing and the experience is more lacking. So much so that I would not have a surgery or procedure with a chance of retro unless there was no other option, but fortunately there are.

It's an individual thing but the important thing is how YOU feel about it. 

Jim

• Posted

I guess you have no change in yours.  Most men do and will feel a different orgasm.  I had retro from a pill that I was on.  There was the built up and then went flet no feeling at al.  The doctor will tell you that there is no change but that is what they learn.  In principal all men have a orgasm and ejaculation But why give it up.  Ken
    • Posted

When my main urologist first discussed TURP with me and explained I have to assume it will result in RE, he followed that up with (paraphrasing) "If you don't plan to have a baby or act in a movie it shouldn't be big deal." My comeback, after recovering from the shock of him saying something that cavalier about someone else's sex life was, "my wife loves necklaces, especially pearl necklaces, and she also loves to eat cream pies. Try explaining to her why RE doesn't matter." LOL...caught him off guard with that.

To your question, I experienced what I thought was RE years before I ever saw a urologist when my PCP prescribed flomax. Everything was normal during sex until that moment that you know you're past the point of no return and there's nothing you can do to stop Old Faithful. That moment never came (no pun intended). Just dry heaves that were nowhere as forceful as usual. I found it very dissatisfying.

• Posted

I also experienced what i thought was RE before I knew it was thing when I was taking finasteride. Basically just no orgasm at all is what was happening to me, which freaked me out. It also was making my erections smaller. So, I stopped taking the finasteride, particularly since it didn't seem like it was making any difference with my BPH. But as you can imagine, that was a big reason why I was super hesitant about having TURP, especially since I'm engaged with a very active sex life. So, 2 weeks after my TURP, which was just recently, I was very very nervous, wondering what it was going to be like. If it was like when I was on the finasteride, I'd have been really upset. But surprise, the orgasm actually was just as intense, frankly, I don't think it is any different and I'm also not having the RE either. So giving my urologist a lot of credit for doing a great job.

• Posted

Hey Russ

I remember when you first wrote that. For a doctor to say that is not right. But they do not care about your sex life they are just trying to get you to be better. Which is not up to him.

When I first had my prostate problem My doctor put me on Flomax and Rabaflo. I'm sorry like the said the built up was there but at orgasm it sucked no feeling at all. Just went flax.

Most doctor think that a Turp is a fix all but there are so many other procedure to try and that work. I had the Urolift almost 5 years ago. Which is what they say it will last. If I have any problem I will have another if I need to.

My sex life is great and my orgasm and ejaculations are very intense.

All the best to everyone and do your research before you have anything done.

Ken

• Posted

Dan, that's a fantastic outcome. Evidently your surgeon was careful to maintain a safety zone around the veru and didn't take out so much tissue elsewhere that the prostate was incapable of pushing it out.

• Posted

I had TURP in late January at age 52, I luckily had no major issues and not much pain at all except for slight burning feel when urinating but cant say it was painful, minor discomfort is how I would describe my overall experience. I do have retro ejac and my libido decreased somewhat, however that may have more to do with the medication prior to surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.