TURP recovery

Posted , 31 users are following.

It looks as if I will have to have a TURP. I know that the recovery is lengthy so I would welcome peoples experiences of the recovery process: pros and cons, how soon can I put on my running shoes again, when can I get on the bike and lead a normal (for me) active life. I am 70. Thanks!

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good luck with the Turp, from my experience: my recovery was really quick because I drank a lot of water, as soon as I felt like it in the hospital they couldn't keep enough water in my room.  Then when I got home the same, I never felt when the scabs passed because I drank lots of water, and did what the doctor said.  I was 62 when I had my turp.  My only problem is the retro, which kinda of bothers me, but not the end of the world.  I had mine in Jan. and was back to work Feb.  I was riding bike that spring, April, May.  Good Luck.

• Posted

I think most uros use the term TURP as a generic procedure. Ask what device they are going to use to remove the tissue. My first uro would not tell me what he was going to use. Since he wouldn't be honest I found a different uro. I assime my first uro was a one trick pony that used old technology. Not interested in that with all the new ways to remove tissue. An aquaitance's father just had his second TURP at the age of 58, Uro told hime he'll probably need another in 13 years. He said his first TURP done in his 40's ruined his sex life. NO THANKS. 

• Posted

Sice you've resigned yourself to TURP, Have you looked into HOLEP?

• Posted

Its a great pity we do not have a flag shown against our names on this forum, because clearly each country has their own priorities as for us in Scotland, very little choice with National Health Service whereas I expect in countries with private medical insurance I suppose treatment depends on the premium paid.  Many of the procedures on this forum I have never heard about or knew of choice available.
  • Posted

Hi. I can't comment on traditional TURP, but have you thought of HoLep or GL and there are other prostate techniques with less or no cutting? I recoved from my HoLep 2 years ago within about 4-6 weeks max as it doesn't really involve any surgery. It does result in RE but at age 69 I wasn't bothered and it hasn't affected other aspects of sex. The only side effect after the op was a very occasional small leak which stopped after a month or two and wasn't a problem anyway. I had a hernia op last year which has been far more problematic due to the open surgery.

• Posted

Thanks. I had a hernia op 2 -3 years ago (local anaesthetic) and it didn't bother me and I was up and about from day one and running slowly within 2 weeks. TURP, on the other hand, scares the life out of me, but it seems to be the only option availabe on the NFZ (=NHS) and is probaly the only way forward now.

• Posted

Good morning.  I'm happy that the procedure that you picked worked for you and you can deal with retro.  But there are some men that can't deal with it and it changes there orgasm.  Sometimes men just give up sex all together because it does not feel the same.  That can effect there whole life.  Doctors do not consider that a problem because they say we don't need it because we are not having kid.  But why should we give up something that we have had from the biggining of our life..Doctors will down play it...   Men are all different that is way doctors do not know if any thing is going to help.  They can only suggest.  They do not know if it will work until it done. Some urologist are very honest and will tell you upfront.  So what ever you pick make sure you get the information on it.   9 out of 10 surgery cause retro and there are many new one that will help look into everthing before you pick  Take care  Ken   PS.  Before you have a surgery make sure you know what the problem is.  Because if the doctor caan't tell they assume it's the prostate and want to start cutting away.  Most of the time it's the bladder not the prostate

• Posted

I was p*****g blood so my urologist said I needed a TURP...it was described as scraping the prostrate.  He didn't tell me that I would be ejactulating into my bladder,never for sperm to come out of my dick... It can't be UNDONE.. and if I could unring that bell I would do it in a second.... You can mastubate until your dick falls off and there is little or no sensation to your dick... I'd like to give that SOB a TURP... so if t=your are being offered this service... I would decline it.. there's got to be a better way to fix protrate issues

• Posted

Great post, I'm scheduled to get a TURP. The urologist said give recover fast it's not a big deal. Does hundreds of them and is apparently fantastic at them. It's at a teaching hospital so we said residence will be assisting him. I think I'm going to cancel that procedure. The risks seem to outweigh the benefits. Am I wrong?

• Posted

No... you are not wrong, there has to be other ways to deal with prostrate problems and it damn sure isnt a turp procedure.  That's one bell I would unring forever... I've even looked up to see if the turp could be undone. Thats a big NO...  You dick will never be the same, never...a doctor doesnt care he could care less about your sex  life

• Posted

I'm 52 years old and have been dealing with BPH symptoms for over 10 years, so yes, younger than the typical profile. Taking Flomax for over 10 years, having to pee on average once an hour with urgency, and at night getting up 3-4 times for years and years. Reading people's responses here definitely scared me a bit about TURP and being engaged, the potential impact sexually definitely was a concern. But about 6 weeks ago, I found my symptoms escalating to the point where I had no other choice. I could no longer pee at all and had to self catheter. My prostate had completely surrounded my urethra and bladder to the point that I couldn't go. So, I went ahead with TURP with green laser on January 22nd. The next morning after the surgery, after they removed the catheter to see if I could pee, I was amazed to find myself peeing with exceptional force. It might have been over 20 years since I'd peed like that. Very little blood, no burning and very little urgency. So, I went home. What a huge huge difference. After 2 weeks, was able to have sex, and I was very concerned about the retro grade ejaculation, how it would feel, what impact it would have on the sex life of someone engaged to be married with a very active sex life. And even there, I didn't notice really any difference at all, which was wonderful. After 3 weeks, took a cross country flight and only had to pee once on a 5 1/2 hour flight and without any urgency. And last night, for the first time, only had to get up once to pee. So, in the end, couldn't be happier about the overall results. Still very early, will have been 4 weeks tomorrow, but you just don't seem to hear very many 100% positive outcomes of TURP, so wanted to share mine if there's anyone out there worrying like I did about whether to do it or not.

• Posted

No you are not wrong.... there's got to be alternative procedures for this unless you have cancer and even then they implant some kind of needles in the prostrate.  I've been undone ever since... The blood was what got me to go along with this radical procedure... and I'll tell you this, it's been about 5 years and it's all back to the begining, I have not started peeing blood but I still have to wait for the pee to come, so It was all for nothing...

• Posted

I had a bipolar TURP 2 weeks ago.  Recovery has been easy.  Discharge from hospital after 24 hours. A little discomfort urinating at first.  Pain meds for about a day.  Able to resume light exercise within 5 days.  Riding a bike and working out after a week.  A little soreness but not bad.  I am able to pee like a young man which is great.  It now takes about 20 seconds to empty bladder rather than 2 minutes.  Still awaken to pee 3x per night (used to be 4-5x per night). Dr. said that that would be the last symptom to change. Urge to pee is stronger when I exercise.  Ejaculation is less than before but not fully retrograde. I am 60 and in good shape which may have affected my outcome.  So far I am very glad I had the procedure.  I had a large medial lobe so urolift was not an option.
    • Posted

Was your bipolar TURP with a loop or a button?  I have read that bipolar TURPs have fewer post-op side effects and that the plasma button is gentler than the loop (as is used in a monopolar TURP).  Also, how long did you have a catheter in?

BTW, thanks for this post.  Although I agree that the traditional TURP is "old technology" and that there are probably more patient friendly approaches, I think it gets bad-mouthed by a lot of people who haven't had one.

• Posted

you are a lucky man... evidently you were fortunate enough not to have a full TURP or else you had a caring doctor, who knew the final outcome... but I hate to bust y our bubble in time it will all come back slowly but surely.  I had a nurse at a Uro's office tell me:  "I used to envy men, they just unzip take it out and pee.  A womens toilets are awful... well, I've been here working with doctors with men and I've got to tell you straight out, You can have your plumbing, if a problem happens you can't get to it without dire consequences I've thought of her often

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.