TURP recovery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 55 and have been experiencing various symptoms from my BPH for about 10 years. In March I had my first (and hopefully only) AUR while on vacation in Hawaii. Being catheterized in the hotel room and making my family miserable made me decide it was time to do something. My urologist had already suggested surgery was an option the previous year when I had a stone removed. The only question is what type of procedure.

His take is that a standard TURP is the only procedure that's both worthwhile and cost effective. He regards everything else as either ineffective or a marketing ploy to jack up the price. After hearing that take, I have to wonder whether marketing spend is funding some of the negative feedback.

In any case, I did some research and couldn't find a reason to disagree with his take. I just had my TURP yesterday and was able to remove my catheter a couple of hours ago.

Even from my first post-TURP urination I can tell there's a real difference. An immediate, strong stream and a near complete voiding. However I'm wondering how long it takes for the pain to subside. I'd say peeing was a pain level 3 event. Definitely uncomfortable. Anyone want to tell me what I can expect over the next week? I'm taking my team to a baseball game on Thursday (in two days). Will I be able to make it through an event like that?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I had my TURP over 3 years ago (at age 70) so I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure I was peeing pain-free within a week. I was totally recovered and resumed all normal activity in 3 weeks which is what my doctor said was recommended. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. Have you had any issues after having your TURP?

• Edited

I have had zero issues. Best thing I ever did for my BPH. As an added bonus, it alleviated the bladder spasms that had kept me on medication for almost 20 years.

• Edited

Two weeks post-TURP and I thought I'd give an update on the recovery process. Wow - this is tougher than I thought it would be. I left the hospital within a couple of hours post-surgery feeling OK. I took the next day off work because the doc told me to take it easy but was back at work (desk job) on Day 2. Going to a baseball game on Day 3 (very hot, got dehydrated) was probably too aggressive - taking the whole week off would have been a better call.

I have been producing blood-tinged urine since the operation - often getting quite dark. Finally, on Day 15 post-TURP, I have started noticing a decrease in the red tint. I had no idea the blood would keep seeping from the prostate wall for this long. Even worse have been the bladder spasms. Voiding was fairly painful as soon as the pain meds wore off. I've been taking Tylenol as instructed and that has helped take the edge off but the spasms are still there. Again - some slight improvement after two weeks but still dread the idea of having to go - or taking a shower since that brings on the spasms.

My stream is absolutely better. Huge increase in the flow rate and I can immediately stop and start at will. For some reason I'm now waking up once per night to void when I only rarely did that before. Perhaps that's related to the bladder spasms. Per doctor's instructions, I've also cut back on the Tamsulosin - from 0.8mg/day to 0.4mg. I'm wondering if the change in Tamsulosin dose has maybe had an impact on the bladder spasms.

I'm still hopeful that, after the healing is complete in a few weeks, I will see the full benefits from the TURP that my doc described.

• Edited

Thanks for your Progress report and I am sure you will recover soon and be better than ever!

We are similar in age and history. I'm 57 now, and took action after my 3rd AUR at age 54. I shyed away from TURP, not because of bad "marketing" but because of recovery time, likely retro-grade ejaculation , and other possible side effects.I have NO DOUBT that TURP is the best long term solution for all of us! But, I went with PAE due to the fact that there is almost zero chance of any negative side effects and I was back to my old self within 1 week. Full work schedule, full exercise schedule, etc.

I liked PAE so much that I had it dine again 2 years later! HAHA! Not funny, but again, very little risk. and great results so far.

I have accepted the fact that at some point I will have to go with a TURP procedure and that the PAE has just delayed the inevitable for however many more years I get. I am grateful for the PAE as it has given me a normal life back however temporary it may be.

I am also grateful for your continued progress reports so that I can mentally prepare myself for my future. After all, it is my fear that kept me from going with TURP in the first place.

-Bob

• Edited

Thanks, Bob. really appreciate your input. My Urologist described BPH is like a leaky roof. You can keep doing yearly repairs, but eventually you have to replace. I guess the homeowner in me found that convincing so I went straight to the TURP.

I'm on Day 21 and seeing some slow improvement. Last weekend I was still too tired from recovery-related issues to join my family on all of their activities during a quick getaway to the lake. However I'm fine for all the July 4th stuff this weekend. Noticeably less blood-tinge, about half the time no tinge at all. There is still some pain when I void, but it seems to be better if I try not to "push" so much. I read somewhere that the bladder muscles get trained to try to force the urine through the BPH and that needs to be unlearned. But OMG the flow rate. I'm loving the sound when the stream hits the bowl. And being able to finish in 10 seconds, instead of 120.

If you do get a TURP, maybe see if your doc will write some better pain meds. No idea if they are contradicted. But having a week or two on Vicodin would have been easier.

No idea about RE but I'm expecting it will be the case. However I'm not too concerned - I experienced it when I stepped up my Tamsulosin after my AUR and it didn't really bother me. But I understand why some guys are reluctant.

• Posted

Good thing you had a good outcome from PAE. I had PAE treatment back in February 2019. Unfortunately no improvement of the BPH condition. Since then just taking Alfuzosin and Finasteride which control the symptoms a little bit. I am to the point that I have to decide what treatment I am going to get. After many years with this condition is very difficult to make a decision, specially that with any surgery a successful outcome is depending of many variables.

• Edited

Five weeks in and the recovery is still more difficult than I had imagined. My stream is still strong and I have no difficulty emptying my bladder. About once a week I'm seeing some tissue dislodge into the bowl as well as an occasional red tint in my urine. But nothing like the first two weeks of hell.

However I'm still feeling pressure as I'm finishing voiding. I'm guessing this is still related to retraining the muscles in my bladder to adapt to the new plumbing conditions. Tylenol was doing f**k-all. But I discovered that Naproxen (Aleve) is much better at controlling the discomfort I'm experiencing at the urinal. I know I'm not supposed to use an NSAID during recovery due to hemorrhaging. But I feel like I'm past the bloody part so I'm willing to risk it. It makes me almost feel like I'm back to normal. I've been continuing on Tamsulosin at a reduced dose but I'm thinking about stopping that as well.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience with your recovery. Which type of TURP did you have?

• Posted

Bipolar. My urologist is old school. That's the only procedure he does - thinks the others are either ineffective or just a money grab with limited benefit compared to the cost.

TURP seems to be working for me but the recovery is no joke. I'm six weeks in and peeing still hurts from the bladder spasms.

• Posted

I had spasms following my HoLEP, with the telltale being I would get goosebumps at the end of a urination. Do you get those?

The goosebumps have gone away, along with the discomfort, but I still get overactive bladder episodes where I need to go RIGHT NOW. Seems to be getting better.

I am 90 days out from my procedure.

• Edited

No goosebumps.

I definitely feel the same urgency. As soon as I get a sense of needing to go, I know it's time to start heading to the bathroom.

Best.

• Edited

FWIW I had a TURP last week that relieved my urinary retention problems. We're still monitoring voiding success but so far so good. Im curious whether different TURP procedures have different pain outcomes. Mine was a Bipolar TURP performed via cystoscopy. Other than the indwelling catheter which irritated me for the two days it was in, I had no other pain whatsoever from the procedure . After a few days of occasional blood in the urine I seem to be all clear. I had a lot of fatigue the first few days and after a long walk on a golf course yesterday (not playing) I had a feeling I might have overdone it but no problems after resting a bit. I have not had any urination pain at all. I am one week out from the procedure today.

• Edited

Sounds like your recovery is going better than mine. I only had a catheter for 24 hours. But I was seeing dark urine and clots through Week 4, and lightly tinged urine until last week (on Week 6). The fatique is slowly getting better. If I had to do it over I would have taken more time off work and maybe recover faster.

As soon as the blood and clots stopped, my Urologist let me switch to Naproxen (Aleve). That seemed to help control the pain from the spasms a lot better than the Tylenol.

I've seen a huge improvement in my stream. Literally finishing in 10 seconds. Once I fight through the recovery I'm hoping it's going to be all worthwhile.

Best.

• Posted

Finally had my post-op follow up appointment - six weeks after surgery. My urologist is insanely busy and his staff triages who needs an early post-op follow up. I guess I didn't make the cut so I had to wait for the first available open slot - which meant a six week wait. Wondering if this is typical and whether I should try to switch to a urologist who doesn't make me wait six weeks to get seen.

Anyway, I discussed the ongoing bladder spasms and he diagnosed me with OAB which should get better as the tissue heals. He suggested Oxybutynin to treat it and said it will either work right away or not at all. Not much impact yet but I'll keep trying it for a week to see if it makes any difference. Haven't seen anyone else on here talking about Oxybutynin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.