TURP recovery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 55 and have been experiencing various symptoms from my BPH for about 10 years. In March I had my first (and hopefully only) AUR while on vacation in Hawaii. Being catheterized in the hotel room and making my family miserable made me decide it was time to do something. My urologist had already suggested surgery was an option the previous year when I had a stone removed. The only question is what type of procedure.

His take is that a standard TURP is the only procedure that's both worthwhile and cost effective. He regards everything else as either ineffective or a marketing ploy to jack up the price. After hearing that take, I have to wonder whether marketing spend is funding some of the negative feedback.

In any case, I did some research and couldn't find a reason to disagree with his take. I just had my TURP yesterday and was able to remove my catheter a couple of hours ago.

Even from my first post-TURP urination I can tell there's a real difference. An immediate, strong stream and a near complete voiding. However I'm wondering how long it takes for the pain to subside. I'd say peeing was a pain level 3 event. Definitely uncomfortable. Anyone want to tell me what I can expect over the next week? I'm taking my team to a baseball game on Thursday (in two days). Will I be able to make it through an event like that?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

At eigth weeks post-TURP and I finally feel recovered. It was a hard slog but 100% worth it to get my life back from BPH.

• Posted

Not sure how much tissue your doctor had to remove during TURP, but it will take a while for everything to heal completely. You'll see bits of "scab" tissue pop out during peeing for a while. You may have bleeding with exertion. For me, it took a year before both of these stopped. (My 3 back-to-back TURPs were in late 2020/January 2021 at age 58) When I would bleed, I'd just drink water to flush out the blood. As far as the brain re-learning how to work with a bladder than can now empty (mostly), that took about 6 months. I would have what I called "lightening bolts" of pain now and then in my penis which I was told is the way the prostate communicates.

Hang in there!

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback, Michael. I'm at 10 weeks post-TURP and feel 100% recovered. The Oxybutynin my urologist prescribed at my post surgical visit definitely helped with the OAB but I'm planning on discontinuing. I haven't seen any tissue or blood in the bowl since week 5 but I'll keep watching. I'm pretty glad I underwent the procedure. Feel like my life no longer revolves around having to mollify the ever-present BPH beast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.