TURPs dirty little secret

Posted , 14 users are following.

You won’t ejaculate !

Most urologists won’t tell you that tho.

When you have a 27 year old wife who wants children it’s an important issue,this could cause some people to divorce.

My wife is heart broken and I feel like I’ve let her down and wouldn’t blame her for leaving me .

Get the facts guys on prostate procedures before it’s too late .

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Every single urologist should tell you that.

It is part of the informed consent process, and is in the aua guidelines.

It is not a secret, it is a well known fact.

• Posted

It wasn’t disclosed to us , maybe the urologist saw I am 59 and didn’t think I wanted any children at this age idk ....
    • Posted

Might not be a secret in the urologist community but I promise you I’d never heard this .

I was in her office 5 minutes, she basically said this TURP procedure is the ONLY one that’ll help you it has to be done and I trusted her .

• Posted

I guess I would not go to a female, but I had a male give me finisteride also.  After some research I found a Urologist with more common sense!
    • Posted

I don’t think anyone here has accused you of that. Before any procedure in New Jersey, we go through an informed consent process. I am surprised that was not done for you.
    • Posted

My informed consent came by way of "oh and there might be loss of ejaculate". Maybe he was taking my age to account (68) at the time. In any event it was a incidental  disclosure.

• Posted

If you haven't already undergone the procedure is there no way you can have sperm taken and frozen? I thought that sperm is produced even after a TURP it is just retrograde so it might still be possible to harvest it surgically.

• Posted

I’m 8 weeks post op , we realize there’s ways but it’s very clinical and she’s not going for that unfortunately.
    • Posted

Then you'll be well rid of her! If she truly loved you, she would want you to have a comfortable life with  the urine flow TURP allows you and be OK with artificial means of having a family.

Hopefully she will come round to standing by you, but if not, why would you want her to stay?

• Posted

Which country are you in? In the UK they go though a consent form with you prior to any procedure and point out the possible problems.
  • Posted

This is unacceptable. You really should have been told. Personally I thought everybody knew this was the major issue with TURP. This is why I opted for FLA in Houston.

I hope you can resolve this.

• Posted

He evidently did not do any research or read this Forum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.