Turps Operation

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had the procedure 1 week ago, a middle procedure.  I have a very large prostate and it had grown into my bladder.  I am 63 and very active male with a good sex life.   I was able to pee prior to Turps but it was a real problem. Three docs said I should do it,  I finally pull the trigger and at this point it has been nothing but misery.  Lots of pain, bladder spasms, pee every hour if not sooner 50 to 100 cc's not enough.  I have peed in my pants once.  I cannot work.  This is not a walk in the park, as this point I regret every minute of it.  Docs make it sound so 1 night in hospital, going home with a cath take it out in a few days and viola your peeing like a horse..NOT!  The spasms are the worse and you want to pee a gallon but just drips.  I do not want to call him back because he will want to stick the God awful cath back in.  Unless you are not peeing at all wait for a better idea this is not good.  One caveat it has been only a week so I may come back with a different opinion in the future but I cannot afford to wait long.  This sucked!

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's only been a week you are probably swollen inside, you should have the Foley catheter back in for another week - after the swelling goes down it will get better, you could try taking anti inflammatory medication and learn how to self catheter with an intermittent catheter if you really don't want the in dwelling one. Also for spams there is a medication called Uribel

• Posted

I had a clot stuck. Doc used a Cath to check for scaring. Felt no resistance. But after I got home I passed a big clot and then could pee great. I didn't have the spasms but was given a suppository in post op for them. I wore guards in my under pants for a couple weeks after to avoid leaks. Didn't want to ruin my shorts with blood stains. Then my bladder learned it's job again. Had no problems after.

• Posted

Myrbetriq or any of the overactive bladder meds could help a lot. You probably won't need a cath with the meds and they typically work within a few days.

I think performing this procdure is borderline malpractice, because so many others that are less invasive produce as good or even better results. That said, med will probably solve the problem temporarily til nature can take over and you'll probably be fine in the long run. Expect Retro Ejaculation - it happens almost all the time with TURP - but most people recover fully after a longish time to get there.

• Posted

Call your doctor right away and explain the situation. Sounds like you need a Foley till things heal more. An alternative is to learn how to self cath. If you don't do something, you can slow your recovery and possibly do some harm. It's only been a week, the symptons you describe are not that unusual at this point. Give it some time.

Jim

• Posted

You need to let your body heal, I had my turp 6 months ago and am now feeling normal again. I read another site that most guys take 3-4 months to heal up. I am a diabetic so my healing always takes longer that normal people. I took Toviaz to calm down my bladder for frequency for the last 3 months. The biggest issue is patience and to trust your body will heal itself with time. As long as you can urinate normal in time is what you want. The first two weeks I was just like you, it will get better every week. Be good.
  • Posted

Also, the longer you have been suffering the longer it takes for the bladder to get back in shape. I dealt with BPH for over 10 years and I was told to expect a longer time for recovery. Just prior to surgery I was urinating every 30 minutes, that is why I had mine done when I did. Hang in there.
    • Posted

I'm guessing that he has a normal life and job and isn't prepared to put it all on hold for months while things resolve. Aside from excercise, sex and other things, it sounds like he has a job that he can't perform in this condition - and at his age, the last thing you want to do is go to an employer and tell them that you need 3 months off until you can stop peeing yourself.

I would go back to the doc and see what he can do to get you so that you can at least function. You may not be retaining all that much -that's what bladder spasms do - they make you feel like you have to go when you really don't. Overactive bladder meds could help a lot until you heal.

You'll probably do well in the long run - most men do. But I'd recommend holding your docs feet to the fire for symptomatic relief - it sounds like he soft peddled the normal recovery.

• Posted

That is why I dealt with it for over 10 years because of my job, after I retired I had the turp done.
  • Posted

I read what you said that is why I'm scared to have the green light laser I have not pee in over a year at all

• Posted

I had GL in 2004 and life was back to normal on day three and I was only the Uro's 8th patient. You only get the small percentage of problem cases on this Forum. When it regrew I had Thulmium /Holmium laser done in 2013 that took two weeks to get over as they discharged me with a catheter in for two weeks

• Posted

Sorry your having a problem.  But doctor force the issue for you to say say.  Please go back and see him for you to get some help.  Maybe instead of a catheter you can do CIC.  It will help you and give you some freedom.  Talk with Jim he can help you with that.   Ken 
    • Posted

CIC stands for "clean intermittent catherization", i.e. self catherization.

• Posted

Jim just told you what it is.  He can help you. Maybe you should have waited but it does take a long time for some men to heal.  What done is done. Now help yourself see the doctor.  Ken 
  • Posted

sounds awful.   I had turp 10 days ago and had none of these issues, so it might be a fixable problem to address with the Dr sooner rather than later.  Hope you get relief.
    • Posted

After you removed catheter were you able to pee good. I removed it Monday 5 days ago and pee ever hour but not very much. I called doc every day but the 4th and they said as long as some is coming out hang it there.
    • Posted

yes, strong stream like teenager and felt like the bladder emptied after cath was removed.   drinking 48+ oz water each day plus fruit.   peeing about every 2 hours day and night, mostly clear ocassionally red/pink at the start.   walking about 2 miles/day, not sure if walking helps or causing more bleeding
    • Posted

To update: I went back to surgery yesterday, doc had to remove several clots, remove more prostate that was in bladder. The first time he tried to save me from retro ejaculation and left some prostate in bladder but a flap from prostate fell over clogging chance of urination. Do not know yet if i will pee on my own, cath will be in for a week. Pain aftet this "minor" redo was not suppose to be bad but was severe right after operation. Layed up in bed praying for better result.

• Posted

I don't know why they still do TURP surgery.  It is the worst surgery to put a man through.  It's barbaret I am glad there is a decline in them.  But men are still force into them  I hope you guys get better.  Because a turp could take up to a year to heal.  I will say a prayer for you both   Ken 

• Posted

that's dispiriting to hear you had to go through the whole thing all over again, wouldn't wish that on anyone.   based on these forums, experiences are all over the place, your first one was the worst, fingers crossed the second will be a smooth recovery.   

• Posted

They do it because that is all they know and they don't want pay for expensive equipment.

• Posted

Derek, what other options are available with more expensive equipment?
    • Posted

Start Googling, for a start non invasive PAE and Urolift

Main laser options are Green Light PVP and HoLep

• Posted

ok, familiar with all of those, which are actually less expensive alternatives to TURP.   Thought you were referring to something new.   Based on most of the credible sources online and offline, TURP (or button TURP) remains the "gold standard".   As with any serious surgery, the applicablity and result varies by individual.  For anyone considering any of these procedures, if you don't trust that your doctor is prescribing the best solution for you, seek another opinion to make yourself more comfortable.

• Posted

Any source that lists TURP as the gold standard is not credible. Newer, less invasive procdures that generally offer similar outcomes with shorter recovery times, fewer side and less risk are the new gold standard,

TURP is an outdated procedure that is only indicated in really severe cases that don't qualify for other less invasive options - and even then, Holep is typically the better choice.

• Posted

Bill,

Depending on the condition of your prostate, bladder, etc, many people are first trying newer, less invasive procedures such as Rezum, Urolift, and PAE. All these potentially have fewer side effects and less chance of retrograde orgasm, with Urolift almost zero chance of retro. Aquablation, another new procedure, should have FDA approval this year and trial results suggest outcomes as good as TURP with 25% the incidence of retrograde orgasm. Lastly, there is a new, experimental procedure called FLA, that several of our members here have been happy with, and so far no retrograde orgasm.

Jim

• Posted

I agree with Old Buzzard. It's also important to note that when they say "gold standard" they are mostly referring to voiding benefits and not side effects. In other words TURP (button or otherwise) have the best results so far, but also potentially greater side effects including sexual side effects. To me, this type of "gold" standard is misleading. A new procedure, waiting FDA approval, Aquablation, has TURP like results with 25% the chance of retrograde orgasm, according to studies. They will probably start call this the "gold standard" if the results continue. Button TURP is really just a variation of TURP, nothing dramatically different.

Jim

• Posted

In the UK GL is now said by NICE to be treatment that the NHS should use over TURP.

I had GL in 2004 and had no regrets.

• Posted

It could also be referred to as Gold Standard because they can also take a Biopsy and rule out Cancer - that was what an actual physician in Australia told me, and why he chose that for himself.
    • Posted

Yes they don't want to learn any other procedure.  And it is the gold standard only because it was the first.  If everyone liked it so much they would not have developed new procedure.  They also make many on it. They have papers on it in the office.  My doctors not have any papers in his office.  He has told me he has done only one TURP in the last years. Only after doing 2 less evasive procedures.  Most men do not like any of the side effects.  I'm not just talking about retro.  There are to many problem with some men that have it done and why take that chance.  Ken 

• Posted

But if you don't have cancer and only BPH why do you need your prostate distroyed and put yourself through all that pain.  your the one that has to have the procedure done not the doctor.  They will seell it whichever way they can.  If they don't have the equipment they have to get it from the company so they make money..That's crap Ken 

• Posted

I had TURP done and don't feel my prostate was "destroyed" and was never in pain from it. Discomfort from the Cath for 2 days was about it. Everything is fine now.

• Posted

same experience here, so far...    no pain, improved stream, better sleep, in other words - improved quality of life.   I find this forum valuable to learn from the experience of others while considering options and during recovery.    It's different for each individual.  One can hope that readers aren't making medical decisions based on advice from people in this forum that they don't know and that don't know them

• Posted

The only thing i can think of for a bad time with turps is my prostate was so large. It had grown into my

bladder. I am home now from seco nd turp. Wear cath for a week and try again. I have faith.

• Posted

Waffalobill and Bill. You did have your prostate distroyed and mutilated to make you pee better.  To me it is not worth it.  I will never let a doctor do that to me.  My body is mine and I will protect it till I die.  Been in retention and other problem.  I never give my doctor full control.  With so many other procedure that will have the same outcome.  ( Make a Tunnel ) No man should have to put his body through that.  I am happy that it worked for you but we all have to live with what we decide  Ken
    • Posted

What gets me is that you had one  that was suppose to have worked you ended up having another.  This one may not work either. So he will do another.  Soon you will not have a prostate to speak of.  No doctor knows for sure if a procedure will work until it done.  Even a TURP.  Im done  Ken    
    • Posted

How can it be destroyed if it still works? Definition of destroyed is to put an end to it's existence by damaging it or attacking it. It's still there and still works fine.

• Posted

Kenneth is probably closer to right but that reality sounds more ominous than it is. You can live fine without a functioning prostate - its main job is to push semen out and its highly likely that after TRUP yours doesn't do that. Usually the consequences aren't bad - you pee better but your ejaculations are dry.

• Posted

I don't suffer from RE. Everything works fine. I do not have dry orgasms.

• Posted

The truth is that TURP has had its day. There are improvements in every field of medicine and surgery and TURP is not as good as the newer ones.

All reseach in medicine is to find improved procedures with better outcomes for the patient.

.TURP lost its crown to GL/PVP in 2003 and the GL equipment has much improved since then. Now GL has several rivals.

• Posted

You dont have much left with doing what there doing you end up most of time with problems.Not even talking about retro.  Its not a fare trade.  I will not do it even  have to force myself for the rest off my life.  ken 
    • Posted

Derek we have haups and downs but you are right TURP should be left in the past.  If it is great way are there so many new procedure to pick from.  Men have been complaning about it.  I did not learn what a prostate was until I was 47 and was told I had cancer.  Once I found out THere is no way they cutting at it.  Ken 
    • Posted

Well its both.  4% of men that do not get retro is because of the there doctors skill and caring.  Ken
    • Posted

I wish I would have read your post prior to my 2 turps in less than 2 week. It is butchery. I have to wear cath for a week now after 2 turps. The first did not open pee lane and severe pain after 2nd turps. My prostate is extremely large and normal peeing had almost stopped. I had to do something but i wish it would have been something else.

• Posted

The first one should have opened you up  you should have not needded a second one.  It is going ot take you a long time to heal.  I am very sorry my friend.  Rest and take it easy  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.