TVT repair - how long does it last?

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if there are ladies out there who have had a TVT (trans vaginal tape) repair for stress incontinence and who can tell me how long you remained dry for. I had the tape inserted (along with other things) on 17 November 2016 and have not looked back, it's fantastic. I can sneeze, jump, cough, laugh and I'm completely dry...love it!

I'm wondering how long it lasts for and if there are any activities that compromise how long it will last.

Your experience / help is always appreciated!

4 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello ladies, I am having TVT surgery in less than two weeks.  My doc makes it sound like a very easy recovery.   When I read online, it says that most women take 2-4 weeks off work.   I’m planning on ten days off.  I have a desk job that doesn’t require any lifting.   

Would love any advice/comments on your recovery and time off work.  HUGE thanks in advance!

• Posted

Hi Julia,

I was wondering how are you feeling after your procedure. I'm having mine next month and I'm very nervous

• Posted

It’s normal to be nervous but try to live in the moment, this helped me so much when I had the surgery x 
  • Posted

I had my TVT 3 years ago and haven't had any bladder problems since the op. BUT I have had nothing but pain in my hip, lower back, leg and foot ever since ! I was awake for my surgery and was in agony with my right hip to the point where I thought I was going to pass out on the table. I sometimes have to drag my right leg to walk and this causes me to trip (I did trip on 1/7/17 and tore the ligament in my wrist now undergoing treatment still for this!)

I have seen my gynecologist who did my TVT and he has said my problems are nothing to do with the tape, but after reading other peiples problems in not so sure.

• Posted

Hi Mel. It sounds to me as though you may have pudendal nerve damage, which some of the Mesh injured ladies on my Facebook page write about. Are you on any of the Facebook pages so you can ask others about it. E.g Australian Pelvic Mesh Support Group, Sling the Mesh in the UK and there are others in the USA. I don’t know a great deal about it as I don’t have it myself but I understand that the pain travels down the leg and it affects walking.

i hope this helps you get the help you need. 

• Posted

Hi Denise

Unfortunately I'm not on Facebook (came off over 4 years ago, fed up with all the bitching that went on!)

I think next time I'm at the doctor's I'll print off some information on it and go with facts.

I saw in the news yesterday that a new material has been found and may replace the mesh and they are looking into Peoples cases and might re-operate to change them over, but people aren't happy.

http://en.brinkwire.com/148669/campaigners-slam-material-that-could-replace-vaginal-mesh/

• Posted

I'm so glad I read your article. I am booked in to have my TVT op in a couple of days and so far everyone I talked to, is trying to talk me out of have it. I am getting cold feet. But I also know people, like yourself, who are extremely happy with the result and dry ever since. 

• Posted

Tbh I would phone your consultants secretary and ask if there is anything else they could do because of all the hype in the media. I am surprised they are still doing the procedure !!!!! I am due to go back to physiotherapy this Wednesday for the 3rd time as my hip pain is still there and I can't walk properly sometimes ! Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Mel. I had my tvt in April ‘16 and was so pleased with the results. I’d also had a hysterectomy and an A & P repair at same time. I was off work till sept (I work in a school) but first week back. Had pain around pubic bone area. Felt like something had torn inside me. Back and forth to consultant. MRI showed scar tissue where tape was attached to my pubic bone. The more active I became the more the pain got stronger. I then had a car accident in oct’17 and left with bad back pain. I’ve been gradually building up the muscles around back to try and strengthen it to prevent spasms but the stronger my back becomes the more pain I’m getting in pubic area. Muscles stronger pulling on tape. So I’m struggling. Weak muscles = backpain strong muscles = pubic bone pain. Can’t win and I’m gutted. Consultant told me I could have the tape removed but it was a major op. Bigger than I went through to have all the procedures done. So I don’t know what to do. Its really affecting my job. 

If anyone has any suggestions I’d be grateful. 

Plus I’ve had hip pain since my op which I was told was probably down to legsbeing in stirrups for so long. 

• Posted

I have hip pain too and this is why I'm on my 3rd set of physio sessions. It's also affecting my foot as I'm walking funny on it to compensate my hip pain !

I actually had an appointment with the gynecologist who did my TVT operation and he completely ruled out that it was the tape causing my problems, but it's still in the back of my mind that he would say that as he doesn't want blaming for any complications !

I really don't want to go back to the leaking and I'm worried other problems might occur if I have it taken out.

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for your reply. On the day of my surgery I pulled out, couldn't go ahead with it. They did the bulking injection instead under general anaesthetic as I was really nervous. I don't think it helped at all, I don't feel any improvement. I feel so fed up and disappointed. Have to go back in six weeks time and decide what next. Really is a Catch 22!! 

• Posted

Hi, im sorry for your struggles, I know it’s it’s hard when things go wrong. Regarding your hip pain - I did suffer with mine and I got rid of it by diet and mindfulness. Drink lots of water, do a DETOX as best you can , look up KETO way if eating it’s very  good and it’s a lifestyle. Don’t eat sugar wheat grains or any processed foods. It’ll give your body a chance if you are going to be pain free - the mind does what you tell it to do - for example “ I’m in a lot of pain or my pain “ tells your mind to own it and identify with it... 

you can email me if you like I will try to help further x  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.