Two arthroscopic surgeries and no relief...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I am a 22 year old female, a college soccer player, and a member of the military. I first experienced pain deep inside my right hip when I was 15 (2011), after running a half marathon. After months of PT it was determined that I had torn my labrum. In November of 2012, I had surgery to repair the tear and was back to soccer by the end of February 2012. However, my surgeon had discovered that I actually had hip dysplasia. I never really felt 100% after the surgery, and there would be times in which my hip would "pinch" and then ache for a few minutes up to a few hours. Soccer was do-able, but really not that comfortable. 

I then got to college and played two years of soccer with manageable pain, but in August of 2016 I began to feel a greater amount of pain than I had in the last couple years. My new surgeon suggested the head of my femur was a little irregular, and that could be the cause of my re-torn labrum. I had surgery in April of 2017, and missed out on my last soccer season. I was on crutches for 6 weeks and in "recovery time" for 6 months. I gained a little relief, but to be honest i still feel the same pinching pain when i cross my legs, squat deeply. or bring my knee to my chest. I don't know if it's in my head, or if there is any medical answer for this. It's been 6 years of hip pain so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Ellen! So sorry for your difficulties. I have not had a torn labrum, but I wanted to suggest that you might want to also post about this subject on the Hip Replacement Forum, which is more active than this one. A number of posters there have had experience with this, and you may get more replies there. Here is the link: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/hip-replacement-1109 I also did a search for "labral tear" in the box above and got a number of links to that subject here on Patient. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi! I also have bilateral hip dysplasia that is moderate to severe. I also have FAI on both hips and diagnosed in my late twenties. For me, right hip has aches and has less mobility with some sharp pain- not surprisingly, this is he side that dysplasia and cartilage damage is worse, also have both types of FAI. Left only started bothering me really around 30 onward. Again not surprisingly I have less dysplasia and only one type of FAI. I wanted to share that so that you have some context.

I was initially offered arthroscopic debridement for R. I just happened to be too busy with various things then so I held it off, and by the time I saw my Ortho again my sharp acute Sx was not really there (I probably tore through what I was testing at the time according to Ortho). He then suggested I get viscosupplementation injection. Since insurance didn't cover it I had to hold off until I changed jobs. By the time this was done, they requested I'd be seen again. So when I saw him the 3rd time, he said he isn't convinced injection would so much later. the reason was that aside from avoiding a lot of stair climbing, running and avoiding impingement positions (basically that yucky feeling like your joint is in a baaaad spot)

Long and Short of it all, these are the things I found that worked:

- pelvis physio. This is internal physio if you haven't heard of it. Tight pelvic floor muscles apparently results in rotation of the thighs inward. Pelvic physio was tremendously helpful for me

- regular physio. I had a pretty bad mechanics in terms of walking or even going down the stairs. Had a habit of using my calves to walk instead of glutes BC I can't really engage them. I still can't bit I am trying to do more with my glutes. For whatever reason learning to not lock my knees have also helped

- having someone gentle pull your leg to put traction on the hip jt. Sounds stupid but helps me often

-this one might be hard for someone who is active... But honestly, seeing my hip relates activity as a meter that gets depleted. I no longer take stairs if I can help it, so that I can walk way longer. Stairs are the hardest things for my hips during my everyday life. More I do em, well the tank gets more empty.

-change activities. I avoid things that either challenges my range of motion or load up the hip joint. Can I do them? Sure. Is it worth it? Nope.. that's for me anyway. Same logic as stairs. More of that thing I do, I will simply be able to do less or need several days of recovery.

- weight loss/control. Not that I ever was heavy - BMI is about 21- I do notice when I have more on me for discomfort level

-massage therapy to keep the muscles more flexible. Some of my pain was from the muscles. Sharp pain tended to be the labrum having a bad time.

-acuball. Or squash ball. Use that to do massagees on the smaller muscles around the hip joint to keep it supple and moving

In all fairness, I am not a very active person and never had been.... And this might have worked out in my favour. I'm not sure if anything I commented about would be helpful but hope you can get some relief!

• Posted

Sorry my sentences were cut off. Basically they didn't recommend injection BC I was doing pretty well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.