Two months for my 13 yr old with HSP. Going crazy!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm writing from the U.S. This is the only discussion group that I've found on HSP. There have to be more people suffering from this but they haven't found where to vent yet! smile

My daughter, 13, was diagnosed with HSP on Feb. 3rd. Previous to that, she had the flu and a respiratory infection and was given an antibiotic. The rash showed up first on her palms. They were like little cuts covering the whole palm on both hands. Later that day, her legs, ankles and butt were covered as well. It kept coming and coming. The rash on her legs lasted about 2 weeks, with just a handful here and there on her legs and ankles. The rash on her hands still come and go. 

In addition to the rash, she had severe joint pain in her knees, ankles, elbows, and hip, as well as nausea, headaches and abdominal pain. The joint pain is better but she does still experience it frequently in her knees and ankles mostly. She is still having headaches too. Nausea is the biggest complaint now. It’s been two months and she is still miserable. She hasn’t done a full day of school for over two months. At this point, the rash keeps showing up in her hands and it bothers her to hold a pencil! 

I feel awful for her and wish I could help her. Ibuprofen and Tylenol does not help but she does sometimes get some relief from Alleve. Sometimes I wonder if a lot of it is nerves or her reacting to the stress of it. If I mention this, she thinks that I think she’s faking. I know she’s frustrated. I’m frustrated too. The nurses at her school are losing patience with her showing up there every day even though we have a doctor’s note. They don’t get it. When is this going to go away??

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to hear she has hsp  I am a 48 year old male that got it last july and am sttill fighting it  the one thing that helps my joint pain and flair ups is the steriod Predisone  also for the stomach pains my doc has me on tremadol seems to work the best.

• Posted

Hi everyone, it has been really interesting to read all of your experiences despite how awful the condition is and how its affected you.

My 12 year old son developed the rash on 18th march, diagnosed 20th we've been backwards and forwards to the hospital ever since. His rash is predominantly on his legs, his ankles are affected the worst by the swelling, he has had abdo pain and vomiting ( this appears to have settled) he even had a couple of spots on his eyelids and a bloodshot eye. He's had blood and protein in his urine thankfully further tests revealed there is nothing serious going on. A couple of times he's had to have morphine to control the pain.

As others have said it has been an extremely mentally and emotionally draining time. Its devastating as a parent to watch a lively, sporty fun loving child deteriorate in to a frustrated and angry shadow of their former self. It is a comfort, having read some other experiences, that it does get better with time and plenty of rest.

May I wish you all the speediest of recoveries xx

• Posted

Hi there. How is your son doing now? It's interesting that you mention a few on the eyelids. I haven't heard that before but my daughter has, what I thought was, a sty under her eyelid. I never thought of it possibly having something to do with HSP. It may not but it is something to keep in mind. 

HSP is a tough thing to experience made even worse because people don't know anything about it. It sure is a long road but there is a comfort to know that other people know what you are going through.

Sending good thoughts your way that your son is feeling better soon. 

• Posted

I'm in the U.S. also. I know exactly how you feel, it is SO frustrating not being able to just fix it.

My daughter had HSP for the first time in Thanksgiving weekend & had it until the second week of January. She had severe joint & stomach pain & our doctor had her alternate Tylenol & Motrin every two hours. It didn't eliminate all her pain but she did feel a lot better. He also stressed for her to keep her legs elevated & lots of water. I hope you find something that helps her!

My daughters HSP came back in the middle of February but the symptoms were not nearly as bad. She had some joint pain but didn't miss any school this time. She still is showing some blood & elevated proteins in her urine but that is her only symptom now.

I hope she feels better soon!

• Posted

Hi all. 

Just an update. My daughter seems to have slightly turned a corner. I don't even want to say it because every time we think she's doing better, she goes backwards again.

This past week, she went to school every day and stayed all day. This hadn't happened since January. She seems to be able to focus on other things other than her HSP finally! She has enjoyed time with her friends and has done some clothes shopping with me. A month ago, this never would have happened. She seems in better spirits (most of the time) too. 

What is still going on.... She does still have nausea a lot and still is eating a bland diet. Greasy foods or foods with a lot of fat and sugar make her feel sick. She is also still having joint pains but just not as much. She takes Alleve and that usually helps her. The rash... She is still getting spots on her legs and the palms of her hands daily. Again, not as bad as before but still frustrating. Her biggest complaint is the spots that show up on her feet all of the time. It's mostly on the bottom of her feet with a lot on the toes. These spots are painful. When she does any kind of physical activity, there will be more spots and her feet and ankles bother her. The walking itself is better, it's the after effects that are the real problem. That part is still lousy because she finally wants to do more and she loves to take walks.

She is now complaining of a feeling like something is caught in her throat when she hasn't had anything to eat. She is also having a little pain in her chest area sometimes when she breathes in. I'm not sure if either of these are related to the HSP but they are now something else to watch. The doctors are still checking her urine through August.

All in all, I can finally say my daughter is "a little better". It's scary to say that when I've thought it before and it has come back in full force. It's been almost three (long) months since she was diagnosed. I'm praying that she is on the road to recovery. 

I am am also hoping and praying that you all find some better days soon. This is such a tough and strange disease.

• Posted

Yay! So glad she is feeling better! The hard part with my daughter was when she was feeling better she started being more active & would wear herself out & then start getting spots again. It's hard to restrain them after being sick for that long.

My daughter's legs still get red & itchy if she runs too much but thankfully when she puts them up for a while they have gotten better.

Praying your daughter continues to recover!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.