two-week Urolift follow up

Posted , 9 users are following.

I saw my utologist today for the 2-week check-up for my Urolift procedure.  He didn't examine me but said the procedure went fine and that he put 4 bands on my prostate,  It was fine that I am off my prostate med as well as my post operative meds.  Each visit, he has patients complete a survey and assigns numeric values to answers to such questions as how many times do you get up at night to urinate, is your urine stream weakk/strong/interrupted, and so on.  My answers this time were lower whch he saw as good progress.  I made an appointment in a month for another check up in Dayton.  I have moved to Columbus and asked for a referral here.  The Urolift site does not indicate anyone in Columbus, but the dctor said he thought he knew someone and would let me know.  I read on here that recovery may take 4 to 6 weeks, and the doctor today agreed with that.  i'm glad to be dioing as well as I am, and I'm looking forward to doing still better in a few more weeks.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Bruce  They do tell you 4 week for full benifit.  But all men heal at different rate.  I had mine done 2 1/2 years ago and I was good in a week.  Try sex 5 days after was a little blood but was clear the next time.  Anj the orgasm was very intence.  Good luck you will do fine.  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Its all good,  Takes time for the body to heal from the insult of the surgery.  I'm 1 year 10 months and loving it!

• Posted

Thank you!  I am impatient, but your encouragement helps!
  • Posted

For a Urolift procedure and follow up care, or Rezum procedure and follow up care, consider Dr. James Ulchaker at the Cleveland Clinic.  He is outstanding.
  • Posted

Urolift and Bladder Stone Removal 3 Weeks Ago

Had Urolift done at out-patient surgical center

3 weeks ago along with breakup and removal of 3 bladder stones. This was all the result of having a

Small amount of blood in urine a few months ago and subsequent work up with CT scan, cytology, PSA, ultrasound and finally in office cystoscopy. Also had a series of painful urinary tract infections

following the cysto. Actual surgical procedures

were quick and painless. Probably half hour to 45

minutes using Propofol iv sedation. No memory

Of it at all. Woke up and it was over. Was given

some iv dilaudid in recovery for moderate

discomfort. Had catheter in for 2 days. Awkward

but tolerable. Minimal discomfort. Only occasional Tylenol needed. Lots of blood in bag for first 24

hours but then gradual decrease to pinkish color.

Removed catheter myself according to instructions

and that part was simple and virtually painless

although I was very worried about it beforehand. I

guess they want you to take it out at home before

You see Dr for follow-up to be sure you can urinate.

That way you don't sit around the office waiting to

go for any extended period of time. There was a

fair amount of blood after taking out catheter

but fortunately I'm not squeamish and just wiped

It off and took a shower. Some mild burning and frequent urination for first two weeks. Gradually got less. Same with bleeding during urination. A few large clots first few days but urinary stream was so much better and forceful that they came out easily along with a few leftover stone remnants Also just an overall full feeling in perineal area and some soreness sitting on firm seats. All of this is nearly gone after 3 weeks. Sex after 2 weeks had

Painful ejaculation but a week later was much

better. So after 3 weeks so far so good. Time

Will tell long term. So far no more uti's and urine

stream probably 50% better and I don't have to

Wait for a minute to start flow anymore. Hope

this recap of my experience helps someone.

• Posted

Tha's somewhat similar to my experience.  I had a bladder stone removed almost three weeks before the Urolift; had to wear a catheter for a week after stone removal!  That was painful!  The doctor had to remove it.  Urolift was painless but passed a lot of blood and clots for a couple days.  Fell mostly OK now after two weeks.  Some blood in semen, sex is awkward,  I'm hoping for better results in a few more weeks.  Thanks for sharing your experience!

• Posted

Glad to hear you're doing well. I was a little concerned about my Dr doing both procedures at same time because I had

had a series of recent urinary infections but he didn't seem concerned. I was on antibiotics for 5 days and so far no new infection. Probably was from the stones.

Not sure which procedure he did first but I

suspect the Urolift.

• Posted

Bruce how are you doing now.  Can you exsplain by sex is awkward.  I had mine done 2 1/2 years ago and it is doing great.  For men sex is fine and my orgasm are better after the Urolift they are more intense.  It will get better for you It takes time and all men heal at there own rate  Take care  ken
    • Posted

He most likely did the urolift because he had to open up the prostate to get the stones out.  Some doctor will not to the urolift with bladder stones they dry to get you do have a turp because that makes it easy for them to get the stones.  Thank god for your doctors  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

The blood in my semen is a turn-off.  That is awkward for me.  I hope sex will be better in a few more weeks.  The doctor removed a bladder stone and made me recover from that before he would do the Urolift.
    • Posted

Ok  that tells me more.  Remember you have to recover from 2 surgery that is alot for the prostate to handle.  I only had the urolift.  I did not wait the 4 weeks that they tell you to wait  I masturbated 5 days after they took the catheter out so about a week after  it was fine but did have blood that first time  It got better in time.  I got yelled at for doing it so soon.  They want you to wait because they want the implants to ahear to the prostate.  Just relax it will get better If your married or a GF use a condom and you won't have to worry.  The more you do it the better it will be.  It's 2 1/2 years for me and I would do it again if I had to Take care  Ken

• Posted

My doctor said wait a week for sex and I waited 2. Somewhat painful first time. A week later much better. No blood in semen. Maybe I was lucky. A number of years ago I had a prostate biopsy and did

have blood in semen for 3 weeks or so. So I know what the experience is like. Probably depends on how close the Urolift

suture needles come to vessels in the

prostate and that is just luck. Hope things get better for you Bruce.

All the best to both of you

Tom

• Posted

Hi Kenneth- 

The urologist that I am seeing is very experienced with the Green Light [800 procedures] and also the Urolift [150 procedures]. He stated immediately after the cystoscopy [I was twilighted for this] that my structure is not very conducive to the Urolift, but he could try to do it with more 'sutures' than usual. My prostate is 45cc, which is good, but the prostate is so very tight, and I also have a slight median lobe. so, the word 'try' has definitely put me off a bit.

So, I may not do the Urolift, but I also will not do the Green Light as I know all the drawbacks, in particular RE[70%] and small chance of ED [2-3%]. 

-->> You have probably already the answer to my question somewhere in this forum... BUT...

When you went in for your Urolift what exactly was the state of your prostate at that time..?

Cheers 

• Posted

I think the urolift would work for you.  I have a stricture that is right before the prostate I have a scope done every 3 to 4 months to make sure it's ok.  Well in march of 2015 I was having it check( before going to him I was having problem peeing forcing myself and a small steam )  I throught is was that I was getting older and thats the way it was. He put the camera in and it went through the stricture that was fine but when he tryed to get through the prostate it was closed he could not get it through to check the bladder.  It hurt like h..ll.  He put me on some pill which I took for a few weeks and it was not working.  I went back to see him and he said that my prostate was the size of a lemon and he told me about the urolift.  It said that it would do me good because it would open me up.  About 4 weeks later I had it done.  He put in 4 implants and it beed good.  I would do it again.  Being your doctor is welling to do it go for it.  They can put up to 8 implants in they can pull the median lobe back and it would open you up.  Try it.  You can have something else done if that does not work and it would give you more time to look at other procedures.  My urologist has been doing them for almost 5 years and he has had good results with them.  He ever does the one with median lobe problems. He did a man after me that the prostate was 60cc and the median lobe was starting to go into the bladder.    I talked to him at the office and he is still doing good.  Please try it That may be all you need.  Do it now before the lobe get to big  Ken 

• Posted

Hi Jonmichael

69 cc prostate size. No median lobe that I

am aware of. Lots of hesitancy- took a long time to start urine flow and then it was weak once it started. Never had a sense that it wasn't going to start though so I never really worried about complete urinary

retention. Frequent infections over past 2 months especially after cystoscopy. Now at 3 weeks post op 50 % better urine flow.Not much waiting around to start flow. Still have a little full feeling in area though. And a little urgency when I have to go. Good luck with your decision.

Tom

• Posted

Thanks to you too Tom for the feedback... Cheers
    • Posted

Relax and drink alot of water and juice to flush yourself out.  Take care and let me how it goes.  Is it better in the last 2 weeks.  Give yourself a month and remember all men heal at different rates  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Kenneth... sorry for the misunderstanding. I have not had a Urolift, and may not, don't know yet...I am still exploring the possibilities. Cheers

• Posted

No problem  Just gret all the information you can before you deside  Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.