Two weeks post operation

Posted , 15 users are following.

Well here I am after 2 of the worst weeks of my life. My second

Tkr was on 18th April. I left hospital after 2nights but then got a

chest infection.. Try constant coughing on top of painful knee.

They said in hospital that no two knees are the same and boy

were they right. Thank goodness this isn't the first. Sorry to

moan but it's the first time I have even been able to communicate with the outside world and just needed to get it off my chest. I

haven't been able to do much exercise but

I seem to be able to move better than I thought. I have my clips

out Sunday so things should get easier. I had forgotten about the

extent of the pain or I have got softer. Also the tiredness. Thank

goodness we only have two knees. X

4 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, lucky we are not insects isn't it!    I hope that you soon start to feel better. the first weeks are horrible, and having had it done before doesn't seem to make it any better!
  • Posted

Hi Joan

I always say to people that I'm so glad that I'm not an octopus.  I've had both done and neither have been easy.  I'm still struggling with the 2nd one 7 months on.  I can't imagine what it must be like leaving hospital after only 2 nights.  You sound as if you're doing very well though with movement, so that's a real positive.

only people who had the Op know what it's really like, so feel free to moan to us ;-)

Patsy

• Posted

Wow you've had it rough!! Hope you feel much better very soon! How I laughed at your only 2 knees crack - you haven't lost your sense of humour!
  • Posted

Oh dear - I sympathise - I had pneumonia post op and it was very annoying - but once the antiobiotics kicked in I was fine - good that you are moving better so touch wood you will soon get past that dreadful 3-4 weeks. We are all with you on this site and a good moan is really essential to recovery !
  • Posted

I fully understand the whole thing.  I had both my knees done on the same day.  Never been in such pain in all my life.  Mine were not a total success and still hurt and swell and give me problems.  But I would run fast if they said it needed to be redone!!  LOL  So my heart goes out to you, dear.  I know fully how you feel.  I had it done seven years or so  ago and they still hurt!!  Hope you soon feel better.
  • Posted

I was told 3yrs ago I needed new knees but surgeon reluctant to operate due to having Lyme disease and after reading the reports on this site I am glad i never did-have trouble with knees but carry on.
    • Posted

I put off having my tkr for 7 years as had personal issues but even though the recovery is tougher than hell I am now free of arthritis.

I have now reached the stage of "would I have the other knee done ?" a few weeks ago I would have said no way but now I at maybe !

• Posted

oh bless joan its flamin awful aint it!!!! I had my TNR 5.3.15 and a lady opposite me was havin her 2nd and she said it was FAR worse? ??? I too have had a bad chest had a course of antibiotics now im using inhalers loads through the day??? The doc said its the anaesthetic etc etc and laying about but that my chest will come right eventually?? well its onwards and upwards for you now so good luck and were here if you need us x x
  • Posted

Prayers going up for you. I had partial knee in Dec. And well it failed. So I'n March had to have it busted out and converted to full. And ouch ouch. Worst pain of my life. Thinking of waiting long time for other knee.
    • Posted

hi sonny, strange aint it but my consultant wont do partial KR he said they very seldom work and I no folks like you who have gone through all that?????im 8 weeks post op now and at this stage would never have another lol having said that I bet I end up with the other knee as bad hey ho ul get there eventually just keep takin the meds and moaning lol it does us good!!!
  • Posted

Hi joan smile  I had mine done on 19th April, and like you, have suffered! Today tho' things seem to be improving a little.... It's good to moan!
  • Posted

At least things can only get better by the sound of it!!!

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you.

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

I have had both done I don't rmember the first being as bad as this, as you say thanks *** we don't have three knees!  Mine was slowed down because I got cellulitis which put me back 3 weeks before exercising at home, thankfully now at 8 weeks I am without crutches, knee bend fine, a little problem with straightening and tightness but oiling, massage, ice pack and heat seem to be working.

You will be better when the clip come out, that pulling eases and then you can start moisturising with creams or bio oil.

Just take it one day at a time, the tiredness, uncomfortable  sleepness nights will go, mine are now down to 3 hour sleep sessions which is not too bad. Keep taking your meds.  If you are taking paracetamol before exercising, I take mine with a coffee drink as this accelerates the paracetamol working.

• Posted

know exactly how you are feeling,I am almost 5 weeks and despite niggles am feeling more human bye the day ,hang on in there ,all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.