Typical weight bearing time line

Posted , 6 users are following.

Once you get the go ahead to start putting weight on your ankle, what is the typical length of time before you can go full weight. I am sure there is no hard and fast rule, but  I heard that typically it takes  4 weeks. Can anyone confirm? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was told to start out 25% and work my way up to 50% within 4 weeks when I was put in the boot. Then I was put in an ankle lace up and was told I could go FWB.
    • Posted

Thanks. What is an ankle lace up? I haven't heard that term.

• Posted

It's a nylon lace up ankle support that slips over your foot. It has laces and Velcro straps and you wear it inside your shoe.

• Posted

That sounds like it would be a good extra support. 
  • Posted

I believe it's listening to your own body. We all have different bodies pain levels , support systems and personal requirements. 

• Posted

My consultant told me to start with putting just my toes or heel down for the first week, then full weight bearing from week 2. I managed to do this ok. I had 2 crutches for the first two weeks but just a walking stick by week 3. I'm 10 weeks post op and 4 weeks without the cast. I think everybody heals differently, I'm 66 but managing to walk around the house without any stick, however I do use it if I go out and I can't walk too far without my ankle swelling. Your body will tell you how much you can do. I was scared to put full weight on my foot but my physiotherapist encouraged me to do it and it felt great being able to get around without hopping! Just take it easy, don't be afraid but don't overdo it. I did one day and my ankle swelled up and I got shooting pains up my foot. I ended up getting checked out by an emergency doctor and fortunately I was ok. I had just walked a bit too far. Good luck smile

• Posted

Thanks ... good to know. I am in your age range so comforting to know there is hope for us seniors! 

The idea of first the toe or heel makes good sense to me. I use a walker as the crutches were just too scary for me. I have no intentions of pushing myself so I love the " take it easy" advice! 

• Posted

I am going to be 58 Tuesday. I too was scared of crutches until I was weight bearing so I used a walker with wheels and a seat. It came in handy to get coffee and plates to the living room where I have my nest built. I have physical therapy twice a week for six weeks. Still hobbling because I don't have any muscle in my left calf. I start a new job Oct 2nd so I hope I'm better by then.

• Posted

Happy Birthday and good luck with the new job. Can't wait to get back to some semblance of normal

• Posted

I am on week five of cast removal after ankle fracture. I did too much too soon which has put be back a couple of weeks. I feel really frustrated as my brain is telling me it is ok to walk, I find using crutches so exhausting. Anyone know when it gets easier, sick of being dependant on others.
    • Posted

I wish I knew  when it gets easier and I too am sick of being dependent on others.  I wish you all the Best!

I plan to continue to use a walker when I try weight bearing as I found the walker much more stable and less tiring. I also plan to move to a cane when appropriate... maybe one with the clawed bottom... seems sturdier. 

How much did you over do It?  What happened?

• Posted

I walked a lot with out anything or with just one. The swelling did not reduce and it was all the way up to my knee. My daughter is about to start uni and I was just doing too much.
    • Posted

So sorry to hear you're having trouble walking, sounds like you either had a really bad break or maybe you're a slow healer. I'm also on week 5 after cast removal but I've been walking without crutches or stick for 2 weeks now. I did walk a bit too far one day and my ankle ballooned to twice it's size. I ended up having an emergency x-ray and fortunately no damage was done.

When I had my cast taken off, the consultant told me to start bearing weight on just my toes or heel for the first week then full weight bearing. It was physiotherapist who got me putting full weight on my foot.  My ankle is still swollen but a lot better than it was and some of my toes are numb but the worst of the pain has gone and I'm Day 3 without painkillers. Yippee smile

Everybody heals differently, be patient you will get there eventually. Take care x  

• Posted

The worst part for me is the swelling, my leg is swollen from my knee down and I don’t know why. I have not been offered any physio which is frustrating. 
    • Posted

Hi charlotte I'm in Australia and was at first seen as an out patient. Backslabed by idiots and sent home. They don't offer pysio unless you get admitted here. I had surgery the following week(a week of pure hell) then pysio was offered by the most pathetic teenager who carried her clipboard in a most professional manner. OMG. Trying th get an overweight 60 yr old to jump on one leg(a very sore leg flaying up behind ) Tuck it up near your bum she says  OK. Gritting teeth because we all know which bum I wanted to tuck it in  Jump on the Zimmer frame she says. Yeah rightio.  You'll be in hospital for a few weeks she says.  Good luck with that too. I went home that day. My gp referred me to another pysio who is awesome. And funnily enough at the very same hospital. Pysio is vital. Exercises in warm water helps but after insision is healed. I had a ruddy great hole where cast rubbed staple out. So I ended up soaking in salted water and pouring betadine in it. Has healed but scar is not neat. I'm 6 month post break still get a bit of swelling pain not bad but after a week of work I am truly shattered. To old for this but 7 years off retirement. I'm so glad I don't gig trenches for a living. Good luck with your recovery and I hope you've been advised on the importance of level walking 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.