Typical weight bearing time line

Posted , 6 users are following.

Once you get the go ahead to start putting weight on your ankle, what is the typical length of time before you can go full weight. I am sure there is no hard and fast rule, but  I heard that typically it takes  4 weeks. Can anyone confirm? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How's it going? I'm 6 weeks post op and they took my boot away today and gave me one crutch. Broke my fibula and had a plate and 4 screws. Was told to put as much weight as I can bare but very painful as expected. Remember all your tissues, muscles etc have lost their function. Just keep stretching, walking, and all necessities to help strengthen your ankle again. Everyone is different in recovery time so just be patient and everything will come together. Happy healing

• Posted

Thanks. I am actually feeling pretty optimistic. So far not really experiencing any pain... some discomfort ...let's hope the trend Continues! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.