UFE procedure

Posted , 11 users are following.

please has anyone had the Uterine embolization procedure done cause am seriously considering it as i want a less invasive surgery done. and also what are the side effects of it 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nearly 90 percent of women with fibroids experience relief of their symptoms. However, because the effect of uterine fibroid embolization on fertility is not fully understood, UFE is typically offered to women who no longer wish to become pregnant or who want or need to avoid having a hysterectomy, which is the operation to remove the uterus.
    • Posted

thanks for your response i still want to have children but i want a less invasive procedure that why i am thinking of this procedure but i hope it does shrink all completely and not partially that is my worry what are your thoughts?
  • Edited

Hi Jay,

I had the embolization done last October due to having 4 fibroids (sized 2 cm - 13 cm). I will say that after reading some people's posts on this site, there are some who it did not work for or had a longer time with recovery, but everyone's body is different. I, on the other hand, have had a positive outcome. This procedure did all that I needed it to do. I will say that I did do some meditation feedback two weeks prior once to twice a day, which I believe helped me stay calmer prior to the procedure and helped with healing afterwards. I did take Ibuprofen for about 5 days after the procedure, and then any day thereafter if the cramping flared up. I went for short walks, which can also help with cramping and overall health.

The one downside for me was the vomiting after the procedure, but that was the drugs the hospital used (and I fasted as they asked - so empty tummy). I was in the hospital from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and left. I was not required to stay overnight, so I chose to leave. I was happier recuperating in my own bed.

I no longer have heavy bleeding, I have the ability to exercise without discomfort, my tiredness is normal, and my iron count is in normal range (no more anemia). The incision site is healed with a very small scar and no leg problems.

Good luck in your decision making! As I mentioned some people had great success and would do it again while others did not.

• Posted

Hello Jay,

I had UFE in September 2015. It completely changed my life and gave me a new lease on life.

One of my fibroids was pressing on my bladder so I woke up twice every night to use the toilet. I also had a lot of pressure on my back from the fibroid, making it difficult to stand for long periods of time, sit down and lay down in certain positions. The worst symptom was the excessive blood loss. I was using 4 night time pads every 2 hours, low energy, low iron and my periods lasted up to 2 weeks.

After the procedure, the pressure was gone, I could no longer feel or see the fibroid protruding from my belly. I lost 20 pounds, the frequent urination stopped and my first period was so light I didn't know it was my period, thought it was just discharge. My periods continued to get lighter and now 3 years on I only use pantyliners during my period, which now last 4-5 days.

The procedure is pain-free but afterwards when the fibroids are dying is extremely painful. This lasted 24 hours for me and I had moderate pain for another week. I felt very weak afterwards for about 3 weeks and didn't fully regain my energy till about 2 months.

My doctor advised that one of the side effects is early menopause and some people have flu like symptoms if they get an infection. And a small percentage of people have had it done and their symptoms have not improved. HmmIt seems more painful than the other procedures but you only stay overnight in hospital (some people are able to go home the same evening) and you can be back to work in 2 weeks or less.

For me it was worth it, I didn't experience any negative side effects and my heavy blood loss was gone forever. My fibroids shrink over 50% in the first year and are no longer problematic.

• Posted

Hi, 

I had the UFE March 2017. It was the best decision for me!!!! I had about ten fibroids in me, was awake during whole procedure and now they have completely shrunk. I don’t look four months pregnant anymore. Ha. 

Actual Procedure was about 20-30 min and recovery time was about one week. Pain first week but worth it for me. Second week tiredness then recovery and back to gym by 3rd week.  My issue was fibroids outside my uterus so I did not have a bleeding issue. Feel free to ask anymore questions you may have although I don’t regret my procedure one bit.  Dr was fantastic as well. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Sheila 

thank you for your response. i just want to ask did the ten of them shrink and die out completely? and did you have any flu like symptoms 

• Posted

Hi Jay, 

Ok so here’s the deal.  I did an mri (with dye) right before my procedure and six months after my procedure. 

I saw first hand on the doctors computer how all my fibroids shrunk. I was pretty amazed. Dr told me they don’t disappear. They will shrink and stay on your uterus lining. I went in for another scan recently and my fibroids are there hanging on my uterus. I still feel them and know they exist but so much smaller. The doctor told me that my fibroids will not grow back (if they grow back) until at least another five years. But yes I heard fibroids do return but if the doctor gets all the fibroids on the initial procedure it may take several years before they come back.  I hope to be in the clear for another 3-4 years. We shall see. Don’t remember flu like symptoms. Just pain after procedure and for that first week. 

• Posted

Did you worry about the plastic beads they leave in your artery forever? And did it cause early menopause for you? Thanks!

• Posted

thank you all for your responses i have been booked just waiting for date the only question i have is which is best way to have it done is it through the groin area or the hands as am told you will not move for 4 hours after the procedure

• Posted

I forgot to ask. What size was your fibroid? I had read UFE doesn't work as well for large ones over 10cm which mine likely is. Also was your doc in CA by any chance? If so can you message me? Thanks!

• Posted

i think i read it works for all types of fibroid regardless

• Posted

Hi Sakura,

I had a 13 cm fibroid and it shrunk via the UFE. It was protruding out of my stomach especially when I did my stomach crunches. About two months after the procedure, I was able to do stomach crunches again with no issue. I have a friend who also had UFE, and she had a 13 cm or larger fibroid that shrunk. I know that she had traveled to CA to have the procedure done, but not sure of the doctor's name.

• Posted

that's my biggest fear. i had it done a month ago and am in hell

• Edited

Hi there i had unerine embolization 2 years gone in july i would recommend this procedure to you its the best thing ever and my periods are back to normel. I could not go a week and half without bleeding now they come once every month hope this helped
    • Posted

Hi Lynee 

thank you for your response but did whole of the fibroid shrink and die out completely cause my worry is i read sometimes they dont die out completely and they grow back 

• Posted

Hi jay yes all mine shrunk . yes they can grow back if they didnt block the blood supply off but for me this hasn't happened even if they did i would still have the procedure again, its better to have a life than not . for me when I had a period I could not go to work or even go out it was bad for me .

• Posted

Did you have early menopause? Also do you worry about the plastic beads they leave in your artery forever? Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Sakura, the plastic stays in you but the actual blockage of the artery doesn't stay forever. There have been studies showing renewed flow in arteries previously embolised. The plastic beads are theoretically harmless. As I understand it the only danger of them travelling to other parts is during the actual embolisation and it's very minimal. Once the embolisation has been done there are no accounts of later blockages or trouble in that respect.

I did not have my menopause.

• Posted

Hi Tracy

please what area did you have it done is it through your hand or the groin area because am told you dont move for 4 hours after the procedure is done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.