UFE procedure

Posted , 11 users are following.

please has anyone had the Uterine embolization procedure done cause am seriously considering it as i want a less invasive surgery done. and also what are the side effects of it 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jay,

I had the procedure done via the groin. The pellets that stay in you are harmless from what my doctor told me. As for regrowth, since the blood to the fibroid has been stopped, the fibroid has no way to grow. Having said that, new fibroids can grow in other areas of the uterine walls. I am personally in the throes of menopause close to 2 years after a UFE. However, I am in the average menopausal range.

• Posted

please, please dont do it. i hope it's not too late. it will ruin you life

• Posted

Care to elaborate on your experience in a positive way? Our experiences are shaped by our mindset. Thank you.

• Posted

why did you say that

• Posted

hello

I had my ufe on Tuesday 13th June 2023. procedure wasn't too bad but within 5 hours I was in agony with violent cramps. the worst pain ever like severe labour pains. I used my oxycodene pump which took the edge off till the next wave of cramping begun again. I was discharged the Wednesday night only to be re admitted as collapsed in hospital carpark in severe pain couldn't even get into car. temperature was up tests done staying in for 4 days! to manage the pain. I do have over 30 large fibroids so maybe this is why it was so severe. last night pain severe again but I'm now on 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamal every 4 hours and seem to be coping better. this is a massive procedure and definitely think at least 2 nights in hospital for ufe. I also have a heamatoma in groin artery site. I can't imagine going back to work for at least another 2 or 3 weeks. I am a carer by the way. it has been a very painful and worrying time for myself and my family

• Posted

Commenting in General for people looking for insight.

I just had the procedure done on September 18, 2023, I am 11 days post op. It's too early to speak to the results of the procedure or if I'd do it again knowing what I know, however I do want to comment on expectations.

When I first started speaking with my Dr. about the procedure, he immediately started to shape my expectations about the whole thing. First the actual procedure itself, then the recover, and lastly the results.

The procedure was just as he described minimally invasive and quick, both were true, the procedure lasted about an hour, and I have a single insertion scar the size of an insect bite. 11 days post procedure and it is completely healed, no issues with incision area, no redness, pain, or swelling.

The recovery thus far has been rough. I was told "most women" report mild pain after 24hrs, and little to no pain after 48hrs. I am 11 days post procedure and I still have pain level in the 7ish range, 10 being the worst pain ever. My care team have been the best in my post procedure care, taking my calls, addressing all my questions and concerns. My Dr said he expected my situation to be this way as my fibroids were quite large. There is not much they can really do for me outside of the pain medication, which I don't like taking and hence why I am experiencing way more discomfort.

I've come to the conclusion that hearing other people's experience gives an idea of possible outcomes, but everyone's situation is different. I know my body and understand my recovery process. My situation prior to the procedure was extreme and severe and so my body is fighting extra hard against the solution I put in place to remedy the situation. My fibroids were sucking up all my nutrients and generally the life out of me and now that the supply has been cut off they are reacting aggressively which I equate to the level of pain I am feeling. I am also a person who does not buy into the idea of dis-ease so being down is mentally overwhelming which can also feed the pain and hinder recovery. I've accepted that my case is a little more extreme than others and I have to slow down and give my body time to heal as much as I'm eager to get back to my life as usual. Since accepting that, I have been getting more rest and taking my recovery way more seriously. Today is the first day I feel some reprieve from the pain without pain meds. I'm giving myself another week of taking it easy and hopefully I should be fully recovered by then. It will be hard to sit my butt down, but my overall health, and the success of the procedure is what's most important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.