Uh oh back to work

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello am week 10 fastly approaching week 11 and have been given the ok to go back to work (damn those doctors/physios)

I now have a 100 bend and sleeping well.

Still have an odd foot which is due to nerve bruising and trauma but will get better and still have the pressure sore on and undertake heel but wearing a padded dressing and one sock will look gorgeous for my return to a busy sales office

I have warned them all that I will be walking up and down every half hour or so to get the knee moving and as long as I have a steady supply of coffee we will all be fine

Wish me luck !

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck🍀! When I went back to my part time job I found it hard work and I had to ice my knee every evening, so go easy on yourself! I kept up the home deliveries for heavy shopping which helped and at work I made sure I had a static chair as swivel chairs can twist your knee and I got up and walked around often. Make sure you look after yourself and take care.
  • Posted

Good luck!  I am 5 weeks and nowhere near normality yet.  I commute to London on trains tubes and buses so dreading it. Let us know how you go.  X
  • Posted

Good luck. I can't wait to be able to drive again and get back to the office. I can work from home though so done a bit today. I'm 8 weeks post tomorrow and still nowhere near. My leg is too bent to be able to stop my exercises long enough to do anything else.

You'll feel much better once you get back to your routine x

• Posted

That seems quite quick! Be careful not to overdo it. I went back after 12 weeks on a phased return which helped - have they not offered this to you.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Good luck Bev, but I am astounded. My surgeon told me to expect to be out of work for 4-6 months and most likely to be closer to 6! I know I am still only at 5 weeks but I can't imagine being back to work in 6 weeks.
    • Posted

Well I was originally told 3-4m but now ok as I only have an office job still if it gets too much I will just go off sick again ! That'll teach 'em
    • Posted

Good for you, don't push yourself too hard. I don't have my first hospital check up until 12 weeks so I have no intention returning to work until I have that consultation.
  • Posted

Good luck!  that's very quick to be back at work . .hope you don't have too much travelling to do to get there!
    • Posted

No it 's only a 10m drive - husband taking me and picking me up until I can drive !
  • Posted

Oh dear, I am dreading going back to work. I am only three weeks post op, but all seems to be going so smoothly that I can see myself having to go back to work sooner than I thought. My surgeon originally said 4-6 months and, as I am hoping to retire from teaching this summer, I was hoping never having to go back 😁. Good luck for your return, hope you manage to ease back in gradually and that your colleagues are understanding.
    • Posted

I wouldn't worry about going back to work. As long as you have got your pension sorted and get sick notes to cover the summer holidays, you should be ok

Before I had my TKRS I had an arthroscopy that didn't work and went back to teaching too soon. By the end of the day my knee and feet were swollen and I was very weepy. When I had my TKRS, I was told to stay off as long as necessary as they did not want me returning if I was not fit. The occupational health team were very supportive and I had a phased return over 4/5 weeks. In teaching you can't have a rest or wander when you want.

Look after yourself, enjoy your time off and retirement!

• Posted

Well, don't be too brilliant when you go for your consultations!  I surprised myself and walked straight as a die with no crutches at six weeks in the consultant's room . .so he signed me off.  Fortunately I'm retired, so didn't have to go back to work, but I don't think I;ve ever walked as well again since then (now 13 weeks)  teaching children is hard work . .you need to be able to move qickly, get down to their level, etc. . . I should make sure he doesn't sign you off for work . . It goes against the grain I know (we women are pretty tough) but better to make out you are worse than you are . . I doubt if the surgeon will realise how physically exhausting teaching is!  After training for infants and juniors, I was lucky enough to end up teaching at University . . a doddle compared with the little ones!

• Posted

Thanks everyone, am keeping fingers crossed that my teaching days are done 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.