Uk heatwave: how's everyone managing?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just wondering how others are dealing with this excessive heat?!

I've been having way more headaches and eye issues as well as basically feeling like I'm melting! I've spent the day in bed waiting for rain to come that the weather forecasts said was due. How are other people managing/not managing with this extra element to deal with?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well, my wife thinks I’m crazy but I take a minimum of 3 ice cold showers a day. I don’t stay in forever, but that combined  with weekly massages has really improved the way I feel. 
    • Posted

Hi Joe,

That sounds a cool solution for you. Not sure i could manage a very cold shower though! I'm currently having physio once a week but not sure if that's helping in this weather, my back feels loads better though.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverly I’m exactly the same fatigue has dropped through the floor overheating like mad
    • Posted

Hi Keano,

It's knocked me for 6 as they say! It's been so debilitating and all my senses are on overload right now. Guess it doesn't help that cfs/me gives you a faulty thermostat too! Might be hard to believe but i still had a cold nose the other day !

Hope we get a break in the temperature soon.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley, I'm the same, dizzyness/ nausea been a lot worse too. I would do a rain dance... if i had the energy!

I've become a bit nocturnal, resting with my best friend ( a fan ) and doing what I need late on when it's cooler 😓 xx

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

Me too with the dizziness and nausea, it's like I'm drunk and melting all at the same time! Full day in bed today, hoping it helps for tomorrow.

Me too re the rain dance : D

Beverley

• Posted

Here in Tennessee, we had temps up to 106 to include humidity ... uuuuuggghh!!  The trick is soaking a small hand towel in cold water, rolling it up and hang it around your neck. It will quickly cool the jugular veins and your, head and body will cool off. Works every time for me.
    • Posted

Oh my Dono!

Not sure how I'd cope with that kind of heat! My neck is really bothering me at the moment and never thought about a wet towel to help. Will give it a go.

Beverley

• Posted

Hey Beverley. Unfortunately I think we're all in the same boat. To keep cool I have an oscillating fan and a USB desk fan on me at all times at the mo. Also keeping hydrated, cold showers, cold/wet flannel or towels. Making Ice cubes and Ice lollies out of squash/cordial and water has been helping as well. Keeping the curtains and windows closed during the heat of the day, opening them early in the morning and late in the evening to change the air at the coolest times of day. Also resting when ever possible because the heat is exhausting before you do anything.

I hope things improve for you soon.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I think lots of people are suffering with the long twrm heat. Have had my curtains closed for weeks now! My bedroom tends to get the hottest and have the window open now its cooler. Am keeping my fluids up but haven't managed to make any ice lollies, which sounds a good idea, will have to find my lolly moulds.

Thankyou

Beverley

• Posted

I dont cope with the heat very well at all but keep drinking water, the headaches and eye problems may happen through dehydration but im sure you keep yourself hydrated.
    • Posted

Cheers Andy,

Am keeping my fluids up as much as i can. I even went to the opticians as one eye was a bit more blurry but he said no change in prescription. Think it's just the extra drain on the body.

How is this weather affecting you?

Beverley

• Posted

Is there no A/C in the UK? Just curious. I know you guys are more friendly on the environment then america, if i remember. Ice was hard to come by when i visited there many years ago. Im so thankful i got disability so that i can keep my air on! But we haven't reached the 90s yet. Have a feeling August will be horribly hot. I keep wet clothes on when i go out in the yard. Really keeps me cooler. I just put old shorts and a tshirt and step in the shower. Also get my hair wet. Then towel dry. Good luck. I like the cool neck towel idea.

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

Nope-no AC here at home. Some hotels, shops etc do have it. Wet clothes sounds good. Am trying the wet towel idea. It's night time here and have window open that has cooled it down a little too.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley,

I don't usually "do" heat, but I have to say that this summer I'm loving it! Must be going into remission!

• Posted

Hi sueliz.

Fantastic!

I find it amazing how we're all affected differently. We're just getting some rain at the moment which is really welcome for me.

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.