Ulcer - Pain under right rib cage

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, would it be possible for a peptic/duodenal ulcer to cause pain on right side under rib cag/right breast only.... and no other symptoms.  I had pain in this area... had an ultrasound... tiny gallstones seen.... The pain was then diagnosed as being gallstone related and i was told i would need surgery to remove my gallbladder.  I'm aware that many people can have gallstones and have no symptoms from them.  I've not had any other tests done so now I'm worried in case this pain is really from an ulcer.  I don't, however, have any other symptoms, eg. no burning in stomach or throat, no vomittin, no acid reflux, etc. (just occasional burping sometimes alongside eating).  Since having the pain I've been on a strict no fat, no citrus or spicy foods sort of diet.  I would really appreciate any comments as to whether it is possible to just have this right sided pain and no other symptoms for an ulcer. (I absolutely dread the thought of having an upper endoscopy so i don't really want to request one if there is absolutely no chance of this pain being due to an ulcer - the pain did first appear during a period of very bad stress).  Many thanks!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well Gall stones can be painful and big stones can be intensely so.

There are a number of indicators of Peptic Ulcers. Pain as you describe which in Ulcers is more of a gnawing nature than the sharp pain of Gall stones. Blackened stools may be passed if there is some ulcer bleeding.

The pain of Duodenal Ulcers is often relieved when food is taken and conversely may be worse when the stomach is empty or during the night.

And maybe the best indicator - if pain relief is obtained quickly by taking Antacids such as Calcium Carbonate tablets (from Boots) or Gaviscon.

I take it you are not taking NSAID pain relievers such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, etc which are an absolute no-no with Stomach problems (as is smoking).

It is unlikely that they would give you an Endoscopy before giving you a simple Breath Test for h.pylori the main cause of Gastric Ulcers.

But if it ever comes to it please don't dread an Endoscopy. It is unpleasant - yes - but they always offer a local anaethsetic these days.

And a lot of people don't even bother with that because it makes you fuzzy.

• Posted

Hi derek, thanks very much for taking the time to reply.  When i get bad pain again I'll try taking some gaviscon and see if that does relieve it. i think the GP did not originally consider that the pain could be due to an ulcer because i do not have any burning sensation or vomitting, etc.  Have you ever heard of anyone just having the right sided pain with an ulcer or are there always some other symptoms as well?
    • Posted

Hi Carol, I'm from India and I am suffering from this symptom similar to yours from 2 years... This all started when I was under emotional stress for a week as my dad was admitted in ICU... At first, I had a strange kind of pressure at the lower right rib cage, sweating and itching on that area after having spicy food.

And now, by the symptoms it's clear that I have ulcer( may be duodenal)

I also hav found that during high emotional stress there will be NAVEL SHIFT (Google about it) . Which disturbs the digestive process and causes ulcer...

Please Google it...

• Posted

Even half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (an alkali) would do. And if you burp shortly after would be an indication of gas being produced from neutralizing acid.

Unlike Gastric or Stomach Ulcers, there is rarely vomiting from Duodenal Ulcers until very late into its stages. It then happens when repeated scarring of the Duodenum narrows the canal, thus holding up food in the stomach. So not vomiting is no indicator at all that someone does not have a Duodenal Ulcer - and I speak with 50 years experience of Duodenal Ulcers.

• Posted

PS  Duodenal Ulcer pain is not a burning pain. Or a sharp Gall stone pain. It is a gnawing, grinding pain.
    • Posted

When my wife went to her GP he poked here in the lower left side of her stomach. She yelped and he said duodenal ulcer and was right.

Re endoscopy, my uncle went into cardiac arrest and died during his. Years later after a GP suggested that I have one I chickened out telling another GP at the surgery why. He said that a partner in the practice had met the same fate. It is said to be a 1 in 2000 chance.

• Posted

There is a great deal that this person needs to do before she gets anywhere near an Endoscopy. I don't think that scare stories are very helpful when dealing with patients who understandably are already very anxious about their state of health.

Neither do I think that the figures you mention are at all creditable. their are thousands of endoscopies

• Posted

They are the ones that Google brought up at that time and of course included all age groups. My uncle was 60 and did have angina if that was a factor but the doctor at the practice was fit.

Remember Joan Rivers? She suffered cardiac and respiratory arrest during the procedure.

• Posted

Hi ..I have been suffering with pain or some thing under my right rib cage little bit right side from center. When I pressed I can feel the pain. But sympotams are not that much worst. Initially I used to have bolting with small amount of food. Now I can try heavy. Digestion is ok. My stools were ok .slowly it's changing to black but not completely.

When I traied pizza or cheese or soda .I get heavy heart burn for two or three days continue ly .if I get heartburn my stomach is ok . If I don't have heart burn I get stomach pain not heavy ..I don't know know it's not something ..but my daily actives ok.

My excises makes my heartburn . Doc did ultrasound scan no stones. Then I visited gastroenterology trolisgt . She referred omeprazole it didn't work for me and I gave hpylori breath test ..waiting for results ..can somebody give your suggestions

• Posted

Pizza and cheese are not good for you condition. Have you told the doctor about your black stools as if not something from your diet it could be blood. 
    • Posted

Sure I will.. if hpylori comes negative.doc doc wanted to do endoscopy too see with camera inside
    • Posted

There are three types of HP test, breath, blood and stool. My doctor thinks that the stool one is the most accurate.
    • Posted

Hi derek pain is not stable .it is roamingredients around is thier any major problem it would be..I know I just need to wait one more day to get hpylori results.. I am thinking it not any any hpylori as omeprazole didnt work... any of your comments. Will it be any major one just scaring
    • Posted

It seldom is anything major. I've had two duodenal ulcers, four Barium swallow X-Rays, (Latest on the 6th of this month) an endoscopy, three Barium enema X-Rays and a colonoscopy.

Dreadfull stomach pain after having Christmas pudding today although no problem with it yesterday.

• Posted

That's good but leaves your diagnosis more difficult for your GP. My GP says that HP is much less common than it used to be.

• Posted

If you are that worried, why don't you discuss with your family doctor the need for a cardiac ultrasound especially if you have a 

• Posted

(continued) family history which insurance usually covers. You need to know because you don't want a bleed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.