Ultra high doses of mirtazapine

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello. Is there anybody who finds that ultra high doses of mirtazapine wokred better for them? In the past I have taken mirtazapine in doses 30 mg and it had wokred for a while but then I have changed my meds (bad for me). The second time I have taken mirt 45 mg without success sad It's the best drug I have ever taken, but it's not working anymore. I have taken many of the drugs, like SSRI's, buropion and others, but none of them worked like mirtazapine in the past. How do you think, is there any possibility that ultra high doses like 60-90 mg would be work better for me? Thanks.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've heard of higher doses of 60-90mg prescribed in USA but I'm not sure if they do in the UK. My doctor told me that 45mg is the max dose and if I don't get well on it then he may add a small dose if another antidepressant rather than take me off Mirtazapine and have to start all over again.

Ive been on Mirt almost 12 weeks,8 weeks at 45mg and although I'm still not totally better,I am better than I was at thus stage with the antidepressant I was on previous to it.

Some peoples doctors add a mood stabiliser to there antidepressant for depression that seems resilient and others add a low dose of a antipsychotic. 

Perhaps discuss your options with your GP. I think if Mirt has worked for you in the past then it would be worth going on that with a add on of something else xx

• Posted

Thanks. Now I'm trying paroxetine (SSRI) with mirtazapine.
  • Posted

I am on 45mg to stave off psychosis during my 'annual' major depressive episode and normally worked in the past, but I'm afraid this year it has failed and started hearing voices yesterday "stephen is ill again, stephen is ill again", so got my GP tomorrow and psych assessment next week. I am probably going to move to anti-psychs. Apart from the horrendous weightgain (3 stone for me), I actually think Mirtz is overall a good drug. At 15mg, probably fixes 80% of patients with mild (short-term) depression and poor sleep (the great sedative nature at 15mg!), 30mg...less sure, 45mg...not sure.

But that's my personal opinion and everyone is different...

Stephen

• Posted

I have been on 60mg for about 3 years. It's been a very effective treatment for me, although dosage does need to increase every, say, 2 years-ish. Like many others I started on 15mg (in 2007).
  • Posted

Ive been taking 45mg for about 2yrs and its been good for me , I once took an accidental overdose and really freaked out !
    • Posted

Hi Jeffrey

I just wondered when you first started taking the 45mg how did you get on as I whent from the 15-30 then to the 45? I have started my 3rd week on the 45 and finding the anxiety very dificult as that is te reason I am taking the meds in the fist place! The doc said I will feel worse before I get better but when..?? :-(

Cheers!

Stevie

• Posted

After reading all the replies, I just took another 45mg pill of Mirt.  I took 45mg last night before bed.  I'm desperate.  I'm in the depths of Hell.  15mg worked for me with Cymbalta.  15mg stopped working.  30mg started working again.  It stopped after 10 days.  An increase to 45mg did nothing.  Not sure why 45mg is the recommended max in US.

In the past, high doses of Parnate, an MAOI worked extremely well for me, but my current doctor won't do that.  I've been treatment resistant for 20 years.  I've had 7 ECT treatments.  The first 4 brought me back to myself.  I felt like I was 12 yr old again and wanted to go out and build treeforts.  LOL  I dropped like a rock after 3 months.  3 consequetive ECT treatments on 3 consequetive Fridays only made me worse.

I was on Tramadol as an anti-depressant for 5 years.  It worked wonderfully but it was a constant nightmare trying to keep my tolerance down.  Tramadol has gained recognition as a viable anti-depressant over the years, but now it's controlled.  Well, just rambling now.

I wish you all the best in your plight and God bless.

John

• Posted

John I'm sorry, I'm in similar situation as you - very treatment resistant depression. rolleyes

• Posted

I have been on mirtazapine 30-45mg for the last couple years and my panic attacks have become worse due to problems in life. I also have been on xanx 0.5 and cymbalta 60mg for the past 20yrs. I have just come off of cymbalta (which is a nightmare) in exchange for Buspar. Back to mirtazapine, I am considering doing 30mg in the morning and 30mg in the evening. I used to only take it at night because it made me tired. But I have tried this 30-30 just this week and I feel much calmer. I will continue to walk and swim to avoid any weight gain.  But I feel whatever works to get me away from feeling afraid of life (panic) I will take anything!
    • Posted

Just wondered how did you get on going from the 30 to the 45 as I am on my third week on the 45 and the anxiety is terrible..?

Cheers!

Stevie

• Posted

Hi I know this is an old post but I've dealt with depression for my entire adult life and mirtazapine was semi-miraculous for the short time it worked really well. Bupropion is the 2nd best antidepressant I've ever taken and I saw you mentioned taking that as well. I guess my question is did bupropion help you out at all and if so are there any other drugs that have helped you?

I've taken a lot of other ssri, snri and mao-I's and none of them work half as well as mirtazapine and bupropion.

I would greatly appreciate any insight you might have. Thanks

• Posted

Hey. Yes I have some reaction to wellbutrin but not the same as with mirtazapine + SSRI. The problem is the effect is short term. I'm trying now some neuroleptics like abilify, seroquel or zyprexa. We will see... rolleyes

• Posted

Of course neuroleptics as augmentation to SSRI.
  • Posted

I used to be on 60mg but I deliberately stopped taking them because they made me tired all the time. I only just stared my medication again, this time on 30mg, two days ago 
  • Posted

I take 15mg of mirtzaapine, 30 mg of Buspar in the morning and  another 30mg of Mirtazapine, 30 mg of Buspar  at night along with  30mg of cymbalta and .05 xanax as needed. I have severe anxiety and that is what works for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.