Unable to orgasm after Total Hysterectomy

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had a total hysterectomy 15 months ago with removal of the cervix of course, and have not been able to have an orgasm since.  My lovely doctor let me go back on HRT patches to see if it would help and also to stop severe hot flushes and vaginal dryness.  Hot flushes easing so is the dryness but the Big O is still missing.  My partner and I are absolutely gutted.  I remember the surgeon saying to me after the 6 week check up "Now go and get on with your life",  When I said I hadn't tried the love life yet, he just looked on the floor.  Wonder if he knew as  I have since discovered online how many women are suffering like me, I wonder why there are no warnings from the surgeons that this might happen post hysterectomy.  I am so angry I feel like writing to the surgeon so may be he'll think twice about the absolute necessity of  doing this op to other women.  Unless anyone on here can tell me it comes back after all ths time, I have lost an important part of my life.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 7 weeks out from a complete hysterectomy. Everything gone. In my first couple weeks Post op I experienced spontaneous orgasms that awoke me from my sleep. I had no idea what was going on. I have since learned that those orgasms came from a pelvic floor that was spasming and during a normal orgasm the pelvic floor does contract. Mine just so happen to be doing it on its own. Not something u want as mine lead to spams Of the urethra also. I am now doing pelvic floor physical therapy to stretch my pelvic floor so it is not so tight! Weird concept.
    • Posted

Wish I had a pelvic floor Kerry!  I tried one of those electronic pelvic floor exercisers but it was numb up there, but I'm glad it looks like you'll be OK
  • Edited

I too have had a full hysterectomy 14 months ago, and am no longer able to orgasm. I feel completely and utterly empty inside, no feelings whatsoever. My heart is broken at the thought of knowing my sex life will be void for the rest of my life (my poor husband). I am only 48 yrs old and have absolutely no sensation during sex. I cry every time I think about never having another orgasm again. I too believe that nerves were severed during my operation. My surgeon ran into many complications during the procedure. I actually was not able to even try having sex until exactly one year after surgery. It took me that long to heal properly. I had to keep going back into the office for a check-up every 2-3 months to see how my healing was going. One time they had to use silver nitrate to remove a bunch of scar tissue and "clean me up" as he said..... this was soooo painful and I ended up in the ER a few hours later for the pain. Yes, I agree this conversation needs to be discussed with patients before surgery. I NEVER would have gone through with this surgery if I had known I will never give a s**t or care to have sex again. The Dr's or nurses never had this discussion with me before surgery. I feel so stupid for never even thinking that my sex life would be affected from a total hysterectomy. I thought I did so much research, I even went to another Dr for a 2nd opinion before I had the surgery. No one ever discussed "your sex life will/could suffer."

• Posted

Nareina, I feel really bad for you and your experience which is the same as mine. Four years down the line and I still cannot orgasm and pray that this will not be the case for you with time. This thing about vaginal orgasm -v- clitoral has never made sense to me as surely stimulation of the clitoris causes the vaginal contractions that are orgasm. My clitoris still has some feeling but does not work to bring me to orgasm, there is the sense that something has been severed and I am not referring to the uterus. In the four years since the biggest mistake I have made in my life I have tried a vibrator, the electronic pelvic floor exerciser which I still use, estrogen HRT from the doctor, and progesterone cream, which I get online. I would recommend you ask your medics for a hormone blood test to see what your levels of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone are. If they are very low, which I feel may be the case, I would ask for replacement of all these. Testosterone is very important for women as well as men for sexual function, and you are only 48 and it would be ridiculous if your medical people did not do everything to help you. Like you, I did much research before the hysterectomy and never found anything to suggest there would be problems, on the contrary, all the info said everything would be just the same as before the op. It does make you feel like a fool but the mis-information is to make you think you've got some kind of poor mental attitude to hysterectomy and it's 'all in your head'. Sorry for the rant, you can see I am still very bitter and will forever remain so. I do hope things will improve, Take care.

• Posted

hi hun

I had a tvh nearly 3 years ago now and before I had my OP my Urogynacologist asked me about orgasm whether I gad vaginal or clitorus orgasm when having intercourse.

for me I didnt seem to have strong orgasm through sex but rather clitorus stimulation so even after my op I was able to orgasm through clitoral stimulation.

I have to say He did warn me about this before so for me I cant complain all with my surgeon.

have you tried clitoral orgasm hun? for me it makes no difference if it's not vaginal as it's all pleasurable for yiu and yiur partner.

• Posted

hi hon im not sure when you posted but i had a total hysterectomy 7 weeks ago (Oct 2020) and my 6 week check a week ago i had read all sorts about lost orgasms after the op so i plucked up the courage to try and have one before in case i couldnti used a vibrator on my own and still havnt had sex with my husband but guess what? even though i havnt got a uterus anymore it felt like the normal uterine contactions you have during one it was fine maybe trh this with no pressure and see how it goes? good luck x

• Posted

It was nareina who sent a message replying to something I wrote years ago. This lady so far is suffering the same problem that I have had for years following my hysterectomy. Hun I have more vibrators than Anne Summers, and a very good education of how things work. I am glad for women who say their orgasm hasn't been affected by surgery but mine has due to an incompetent surgeon who has probably severed nerves. There are women like myself who have been butchered, sorry if this offends, and there are those who say they are OK. It's a lottery. And suggesting that 'it is all in (my) head' like some women have suggested just makes me so angry.

• Posted

I had a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy 3 years ago - I was a bit taken aback by the doctor's attitude, he said he was taking EVERYTHING out, I fought it. Both ovaries (large complex cyst on one, small cyst on other), the uterus (large fibroids) and the cervix. I asked the dr how I would feel afterwards, he told me that because I had already gone through menopause years before, nothing would happen. Of course, I lost the feeling on my stomach, which returned after a few months thank goodness. A few problems - dry eyes, bit of vaginal dryness, nerves, etc. I went on to the estradiol patch (I only put it on once a week, not twice) and it has taken the edge off all the problems. And my orgasms are more intense than ever - I feel contractions and the whole bit, and they're great! It took some time, at first I was not myself, but things are fine now, and I guess I got lucky. Perhaps my dr did not cut the nerves in that area?

• Edited

I am 63 and 28 years post complete abdominal hysterectomy. Prior to surgery,, I had multiple intense orgasms during sex with my husband. I also was not told anything about the life altering reality of reduced quality of the sex in my marriage. I was not put on any HRT until 5 years later with a new female GP. she told me that unfortunately, 99 percent of the male surgeons who perform hysterectomy do not even understand the nerves that are being severed and what that does to a woman sexually afterward. She put me on bioidentical estrogen which helped with vaginally atrophy, moisture level and some moodiness but absent the bioidentical progesterone, I had no desire for sex at all. I recently have found a new provider who has worked with me to balance all of my hormones with bioidentical estradiol, progesterone, and DHEA which increases testosterone. it has taken nearly a year but I have list nearly 20 pounds, my breasts are getting firmer, I am not a crazy moody witch anymore, I have energy and sleep like a baby! I also have a sex drive for the first time since before my surgery... I'm wearing my husband out! he is suffering from hormone imbalance and has recently begun bioidentical TRT and he is feeling better as well. We feel like a couple of youngsters again!

I have never recovered from the nerve damage or lack of sexual stimulation from not having a cervix in my ability to have a fulfilling orgasm the way I used to do, however, through prayer and some self re-exploration of my body I have learned how to have meaningful sex with my husband again. the fact that at our ages we are hungry for each other and feel good physically and emotionally, we realize that having God glorifying sex doesn't always have to end in a massive orgasm....but is at least fun trying!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.